Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-31-2014, 03:14 PM   #241

Third day with Greyhawk backed up without a spotter and pressed edge of steel tube bumper enough to tweak it... wondering if I should replace or repair or leave it as a reminder to have a spotter when backing up!

thecampingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:17 PM   #242

Anticipating awning incident..will the Greyhawk carefree awning really dump rain on its own as dealer indicates..when I asked him how to tilt it he said it doesn't do that and showed me how front arm gives under pressure...

thecampingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:49 PM   #243
Site Team

The auto dump works great on mine. If there is a black knob on your awning arm you can pull down the awning on one side and lock it in place.

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 03:52 PM   #244
Lost in the Woods

I keep forgetting to crank down the television antenna. Apparently I'm not the only one as I see them going down the road all the time still in the up position. That is until they get torn off.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 09:37 PM   #245

We have only had our TT for less than 2 months and already had our first bonehead mistake.

Since we read the threads warning about not putting bike racks on the bumper, we decided to travel with our bikes in the trailer.

On our second trip with the trailer, we stopped for gas an hour down the road and heard a curious beeping coming from the trailer. We hopped out and opened it up...

The smell of propane flooded our noses, and we realized the sound was coming from the carbon monoxide detector.

The culprit? Our dang bikes had fallen over and miraculously turned on the stove burner!

We also blew a tire on this same trip. Lots of memories already being made!
Russkerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:00 PM   #246

Step 3 in our checklist before traveling. "Turn off gas"

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 06:10 AM   #247
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex1961 View Post
Step 3 in our checklist before traveling. "Turn off gas"
most like to run the fridge though
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 08:42 AM   #248

Recent "bone-headed" moment!

Well, I had one of those "bone-headed moments" at my last campground.

After arriving at my last campground, I stopped at the dump/fill station to fill up with fresh water. While I was at it, I decided to rinse the black tank, so I hooked up the "red" hose (posted as not safe for drinking) to the black tank flush inlet and let it run for about a minute. After I shut it off and hooked up my slinky, I discovered I was too far from the sewage dump for my slinky to reach. So, I disconnected the slinky, got in my truck and started pulling forward . . . but I forgot to disconnect the hose from the black tank flush inlet. Looking at the side-view mirror for proper alignment, I saw the red hose wand bent forward, so I hit the brakes, opened the door, and jumped from the cab. But I was too late! Just as my feet hit the ground, the hose broke loose from the inlet; or rather, the hose broke the inlet loose from the trailer! What a BONE HEAD!

I removed the inlet from the hose end and tried to "super-glue" it back on, but I wouldn't hold. So, my first stop after reaching my current campground was the Camping World store in Grand Rapids. I was able to pick up a replacement for about $10.50, and installing it was an easy 5-minute job.

The moral of the story: Be sure you remove your hose before you dump your load.

NOW THAT'S NOT WHAT I MEANT!
Old 09-14-2014, 09:19 AM   #249

Jack

While hooking up to my last trailer, being pretty excited about getting the new one, I forgot one minor thing. I use my power tongue jack to lift the back of my truck to get the torsion bars in alignment with their sockets (anyone who owns an Equal-I-zer knows what I'm talking about).

Long story short, forgot to lower the jack and bent it about a 15 degree angle. Wouldn't retract so I could only bend it more to get it up to trailer off for the trade-in.

Dealer I was trading it into just laughed about it. I was expecting a deduction in trade-in $ - but nothing.

Marlin

2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE CC Duramax/Allison
2014 Jayco Eagle 338RETS w/Equal-i-zer 14k

GO HAWKS!!
marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 09:53 AM   #250

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
most like to run the fridge though
I hear ya, and understand. But we had a potential situation as well. We just returned from a weekend out with the TT. We have a housekeeping crew that comes over every 2 weeks and cleans our house, anyway since I still had the camper parked out front I asked if they would clean up the camper for an extra few $$. The next day I went inside to make sure all was good before moving it to its regular parking spot when I noticed one of the stove burners was moved to the on position (they hit the knob with a rag while cleaning it). Had the gas been on we would have had a camper filled with gas and since it was plugged into shore power, well you can imagine what could have happened.. This was right out of our very first trip in the camper, so from that point on I decided that I would never leave the gas on. Just my own personal experience here and not saying good or bad to anyone traveling with the gas on, just related to the OP about potential issues with gas.

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote