Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Life > Campfire Chat
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2017, 01:10 PM   #501

The guy next to me had the same TT & put his fresh water supply hose into the black tank flush & left the water running. It spurted out from top of roof somewhere & Toilet overflowed, wow!!
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 02:00 PM   #502

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert9999 View Post
The guy next to me had the same TT & put his fresh water supply hose into the black tank flush & left the water running. It spurted out from top of roof somewhere & Toilet overflowed, wow!!
Or he thought that's how you flush your black tank. Not a mistake, just misunderstood.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:35 PM   #503

Is anyone else suspicious of the entries that started out "the guy next to me" or "a buddy of mine"?😳
JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:58 PM   #504

Maybe the real story was.... The guy next to me saw...
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:19 AM   #505

I have left the sensor 4-5 times. Luckily either saw it on the ground or our neighbor came running up behind us holding the sensor. Now we have a velcroed it beheath the steps so it doesn't ride on the wheels.
GScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:20 AM   #506

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHerzog View Post
Is anyone else suspicious of the entries that started out "the guy next to me" or "a buddy of mine"?😳
Oh yeah it was me!!
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:57 AM   #507

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert9999 View Post
Oh yeah it was me!!
Lol
JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 03:05 PM   #508

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHerzog View Post
Yes that is highly suspect but I know a guy...
NCMFFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 11:01 PM   #509

Mine came this weekend and boy am I lucky.

I had the simple task of moving my TT from one part of the driveway over to its normal parking space. I must have let my guard down. I back the truck up close to the TT and park it for the moment so I can retrieve the hitch from inside the basement storage spot. I carry it over and run it partially into the receiver almost to the receiver locking pin -which is through its hole, locked. I turn around to grab the key that's sitting on the tongue of the trailer, unlock and pull the other locking pin on the tongue and raise the latch. Next I raise the electric jack. I then go back into the truck and back it over the ball, jump out and lower the trailer and latch the hitch. Back into the truck, pull forward down the sloped drive then back her up and into the final parking spot. All is well, I feel like it's almost time for a beer!

I chock the wheels, unlatch the hitch, raise the trailer, pull forward a couple feet then go back to remove the head/shank and my heart falls into my stomach...

I forgot to unlock the pin, push the shank all the way in and insert the pin to keep the hitch assembly from simply pulling out of the receiver!!!

I was so damn lucky that I didn't drop my trailer right on the tongue in my own driveway!

The only thing that I think saved me was the slope of the driveway. It must have created enough of a bind with the shank inside of the receiver to hold everything together while I pulled forward then going down the slope forced the whole thing forward to keep it in place. Backing up held it in too.

Very boneheaded indeed!

I just couldn't believe what I missed doing. I'm typically very good at double checking everything. I could have had bent the tongue or who knows what else?

I felt so luck that I went ahead and had that beer.

2017 Jay Flight 32BHDS
2006 GMC 2500HD Classic CC SB 4x4 6.6L Duramax/Allison
Vasquez Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 07:10 AM   #510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasquez Kid View Post
Mine came this weekend and boy am I lucky.

I had the simple task of moving my TT from one part of the driveway over to its normal parking space. I must have let my guard down. I back the truck up close to the TT and park it for the moment so I can retrieve the hitch from inside the basement storage spot. I carry it over and run it partially into the receiver almost to the receiver locking pin -which is through its hole, locked. I turn around to grab the key that's sitting on the tongue of the trailer, unlock and pull the other locking pin on the tongue and raise the latch. Next I raise the electric jack. I then go back into the truck and back it over the ball, jump out and lower the trailer and latch the hitch. Back into the truck, pull forward down the sloped drive then back her up and into the final parking spot. All is well, I feel like it's almost time for a beer!

I chock the wheels, unlatch the hitch, raise the trailer, pull forward a couple feet then go back to remove the head/shank and my heart falls into my stomach...

I forgot to unlock the pin, push the shank all the way in and insert the pin to keep the hitch assembly from simply pulling out of the receiver!!!

I was so damn lucky that I didn't drop my trailer right on the tongue in my own driveway!

The only thing that I think saved me was the slope of the driveway. It must have created enough of a bind with the shank inside of the receiver to hold everything together while I pulled forward then going down the slope forced the whole thing forward to keep it in place. Backing up held it in too.

Very boneheaded indeed!

I just couldn't believe what I missed doing. I'm typically very good at double checking everything. I could have had bent the tongue or who knows what else?

I felt so luck that I went ahead and had that beer.
I installed my shank with pin and then took a silver Sharpie pen and put a line across the top of the shank for a quick visual reference.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:49 PM   #511

Don't I feel stupid...

Last week, we got fed up with people from adjacent sites wandering though our little piece of heaven to get to the river (we must have had the prime fishing spot...)

When yet another guy came by and starting poking about on the river bank, not 6 feet from my bunk end, he got the beginning of a long lecture on campground etiquette, starting with "You must be new to this..."

He waited politely, until there was a break in the tirade, and then introduced himself as the CG owner, checking on a wasp nest that somebody had pointed out to him....

Sorry John... can we still come back next year ?

Ian, the red-faced man from Scotland
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:37 PM   #512

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeRJuliian View Post
Last week, we got fed up with people from adjacent sites wandering though our little piece of heaven to get to the river (we must have had the prime fishing spot...)

When yet another guy came by and starting poking about on the river bank, not 6 feet from my bunk end, he got the beginning of a long lecture on campground etiquette, starting with "You must be new to this..."

He waited politely, until there was a break in the tirade, and then introduced himself as the CG owner, checking on a wasp nest that somebody had pointed out to him....

Sorry John... can we still come back next year ?

Ian, the red-faced man from Scotland
Heh
Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 01:00 PM   #513

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tundra View Post
I installed my shank with pin and then took a silver Sharpie pen and put a line across the top of the shank for a quick visual reference.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:00 AM   #514
PMC

Worst -
Towed from storage with the shank pin in a hole that didn't attach it to the truck. It was the first time pulling it out in the spring and it felt a little odd but I didn't think much of it.
It did not come out or drop and I attribute that to a couple of things. I twisted the safety chains enough that there was only a couple inches of movement and the shank is long enough to still have a number of inches inside the receiver. We were basically at the dealer when I got out and noticed it and then proceeded to nearly soil my pants knowing how far we'd gone with it like that. The shank pin along with every other connection are now double checked before moving the trailer.

Funniest-
Got our first TT with a television the end of 2014 and everywhere we went we got exactly Zero channels no matter where the antenna was pointed after running the scan. This went on the whole 2015 season and when we brought it in for spring service 2016 had them look at the TV as I was sure our tuner was bad. Nope, everything worked fine. So at some point early 2016 I decided to google foo the issue and wouldn't you know, there is a antenna booster button that I never noticed and was overlooked during PDI (or I just don't remember him mentioning it).

So now I get TV channels pretty much everywhere and I'm no longer a antenna moron.
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 04:04 PM   #515
Site Team

Keep em coming.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 03:57 PM   #516

Guilty of a common, but still embarrassing one during our Thanksgiving trip. My first mistake was arriving at the campground after dark which I didn't think was a big deal as we had been there many times before. However, our normal spot was reserved so we had to take an unfamiliar spot, tried to back in despite being pitch black, finally made a smart choice and gave up and decided to take a pull-through for the night despite it not being on the lake as we usually are. (this campground is County owned has no lighting other than what you provide.)

The next morning we decided to move to a back-in site directly behind our pull-through as the pull-through was all dirt with a road on each side and the back in was grassy and on the water. Hitched up and proceeded to back into the new site which involved a slight dog-leg munever to get lined up. Started backing up, got part way back and jumped out to check something. Walked to the back bumper and realized my rear jacks were digging into the shoulder of the road due to the incline of the site I was backing out of. It was at that point I pulled forward, drove around the loop and backed in the normal way from the main road. The right jack was bent, the left was undamaged, just covered with dirt. The right jack still worked well enough, but the foot comes down crooked. I will being trying to straighten it this week, otherwise I guess I'll be buying a new jack. At least they are bolted on and not welded.

My other mistake was having my brother direct as I backed in, usually my wife backs in while I direct. He wasn't giving very good instructions and kept getting it crooked and too far to one side of the other. My wife finally came over to the door and told me to "get out of her seat". She jumped in while I directed and we backed it in perfectly on the first try. She has gotten to the point where she starts correcting before I even say anything and I'm mostly just watching for obstructions. I'm very proud of her trailer backing abilities to say the least since less than 3 years ago she hadn't even towed a trailer!
Old 11-27-2017, 04:34 PM   #517

We pulled the TT home from storage lot to prepare for a trip. I forgot to grease the hitch ball. In order to level the TT in front of the house we use 2 leveler ramps on one side. I used the tongue jack to lift the ball off the hitch and the TT started to roll back off the ramps. Luckily for me I had the TT safety chains on and they stopped the TT from rolling back farther which would have collapsed the tongue jack the day before our major trip. Whoops! Now the first thing we do is the check and double check that as soon as we stop, the chocks are in place.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 05:50 AM   #518

I swapped out an empty propane tank with one that was 1/2 full so the heat would run if it reached freezing temps last night. Heater fan would start but wouldn't ignite.
Thinking since the tank ran out I needed to bleed the system so I turned the stove on, got 2 of the 3 burners to ignite. Then I turned on the fridge to see if the yellow gas light would blink or not and it was steady. I tried the stove again and got 2 burners lit but still no heat. I tired quickly of messing with it and figured if the prediction was for 34 degrees I'd be ok so I gave up. That was at around 5 p.m.
My DW went out to the front porch around 8:30p.m. to have a smoke. She informed me something was beeping from the camper. When I opened the door the alarm was going off and I could smell propane. Apparently I left a burner on and not ignited so the camper filled up with propane gas. Needless to say I turned the heater off and left the door open for a while before I was able to reset the alarm. Then I cracked a window open to finish airing it out.
No explosion last night so we still have the trailer

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 12-14-2017, 09:44 AM   #519

I've done plenty, but none nearly as good as my buddy's ex-wife. On the way home from a week-long trip to the Sierras. He was asleep, she was driving the Fleetwood Jamboree 29 ft class C with the Ford Exploder in tow. She got hungry. So, she pulled into a Carl's Jr. Not the parking lot. The drive-thru. He woke up just about the time she got the thing jackknifed trying to get around the unbelievably sharp curbed driveway leading into the drive-thru. Not only was it too sharp, but the overhead was way too low, and the driveway had high curbs. Couldn't back up. Couldn't go forward. People behind honking their horns.

No, it's not the reason she is his ex!!
Old 12-14-2017, 11:20 AM   #520

Most boneheaded moment? Going camping with the wife...