Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Life > Campfire Chat
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2017, 03:47 PM   #521

Isaacs, if she reads this thread you can post another "moment" again!

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 05:52 PM   #522

;-)
kneeslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 04:22 PM   #523

Well, I'm sorry to say I got a new one last time out. No damage, but potential was definitely there!

I started unhitching the trailer before I chocked the tires!! Total rookie move! I was at the deer lease and in a hurry to make the evening hunt. For some reason I didn't think about the incline the trailer was on. So I started lifting the tongue off the truck and got some unwelcome movement. I stopped immediately and realized what I had done. Dropped the trailer back onto the truck some and ran back and chocked the tires!

Whew! Nothing damaged but my pride. Learned a valuable lesson (again)!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 04:33 PM   #524

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Well, I'm sorry to say I got a new one last time out. No damage, but potential was definitely there!

I started unhitching the trailer before I chocked the tires!! Total rookie move! I was at the deer lease and in a hurry to make the evening hunt. For some reason I didn't think about the incline the trailer was on. So I started lifting the tongue off the truck and got some unwelcome movement. I stopped immediately and realized what I had done. Dropped the trailer back onto the truck some and ran back and chocked the tires!

Whew! Nothing damaged but my pride. Learned a valuable lesson (again)!
Funny thing those huntin trios make us do. Makes a man loose all thought processes. Hunters could write a book on silly, at least I know I could.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 12-27-2017, 10:01 AM   #525

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
Funny thing those huntin trios make us do. Makes a man loose all thought processes. Hunters could write a book on silly, at least I know I could.

LOL!! Absolutely right! And it was my 3 YO son's first trip out with me into the blind! Needless to say, I was a giant bag of excitement; first time to have my trailer at the lease, in a hurry, just got off the road after a longish tow ... just ripe for a bonehead move!

We get to go again in a couple weeks though, so I get to try again!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 12:22 PM   #526

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
LOL!! Absolutely right! And it was my 3 YO son's first trip out with me into the blind! Needless to say, I was a giant bag of excitement; first time to have my trailer at the lease, in a hurry, just got off the road after a longish tow ... just ripe for a bonehead move!

We get to go again in a couple weeks though, so I get to try again!
Well good luck to ya, both on the set up and the hunt. I took my grandaughter with me once and I don't know who had more fun her or me.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:17 PM   #527

Mine was just the other day. New 379dbfs. New to RVing. Had the awning out. Started to rain. Went out and set the awning to lean down towards the ground as apposed to being level. Went inside. 30 min later heard a boom! Looked outside. The side closed to the front was almost touching the ground. Snapped one of the support arms and almost ripped a screw off of the side of the trailer. Didn't realize till after you could angle the awning to one side as well. Felt like Homer. DOH!
firsttimefulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:33 PM   #528

Maiden voyage: Two miles from home, first turn. Smash! Something in the kitchen just fell and broke. Pulled off the road into a gas station.
It was an unopened bottle of Kahlua! Broken glass and brown liquid all over the floor and splatter on the wall. Very pleasing aroma!
Oops. The door on the back corner cabinet had somehow come open.
Later, a friend says we quite properly had christened the RV!
thirdktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:39 PM   #529

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdktm View Post
Later, a friend says we quite properly had christened the RV!
If you're gonna do it, do it right! lol
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 08:26 PM   #530

Most bone-headed moment? That doesn't narrow it down much!

First time out with a full hard-body camper about three years ago. Misjudged an oak limb by maybe one inch and ended up with an 8k bill for a new roof!

My fault entirely. I had just moved up from a pop up and learned the hard way about paying close attention.

The restaurant we were tying to get to serves great frog legs - those legs cost me 1K apiece!

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 07:05 PM   #531

Getting ready or a wknd trip to the beach ...My wife decided to go get fast food for the kids .... Going through the drive through she put the nicest sun roof in the top of our camper ......... Duct tape to the rescue !!!
SAMM Kinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 08:06 PM   #532

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMM Kinder View Post
Getting ready or a wknd trip to the beach ...My wife decided to go get fast food for the kids .... Going through the drive through she put the nicest sun roof in the top of our camper ......... Duct tape to the rescue !!!

Sure blame the poor wife

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 08:08 PM   #533

At least it wasn’t “your” boneheaded moment! It’s all on the DW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-28-2018, 09:17 PM   #534

I'm sure I'm not the only one, but as newlyweds trying out our (new to us old 70 model pop up) we shook the bed support's out and the bed caved in ripping the canvas off.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:43 PM   #535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon View Post
I'm sure I'm not the only one, but as newlyweds trying out our (new to us old 70 model pop up) we shook the bed support's out and the bed caved in ripping the canvas off.
Hope you were covered ( by insurance ).
Old 03-01-2018, 06:00 AM   #536

Leaving the campground last weekend I noticed tree branches hanging over the side of the road a little. As my truck went under them I thought OH S... the camper! I swerved but not fast enough and one of the branches tore off the cap that covers the idler piece on the awnening. Thankfully no other damage or scratches and Carefree is sending me a new one.
The lady told me they were $9 so ya sure that's cheap I'll take it. But the freight to get it from Colorado to Ga cost me $15.......UGH

Old 03-01-2018, 07:10 AM   #537

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon View Post
guffaw!
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:48 PM   #538

Installed a new energy meter in the TT the other day. Got everything finished and turned the battery disconnect switch back on.

Went in the TT for the moment of truth. Battery voltage display appears correct, while watching the meter I turn on the overhead lights and the amp draw on the meter jumps up from 0 to 1.3 amps - success!!!!

After about a second the amp draw drops to 0.9 amps, then 0.3 then 0 amps. I think, well maybe the meter doesn't read low enough, check the paperwork, nope says 0-100 amps. So I try turning the lights off then on again, does the same thing. So I turn on the bathroom fan, light and the overhead lights, meter jumps up to 2.4 amps....then slowly ticks back down to zero. I repeat this about 10 times.

So I decide I'm going to throw the juice to it, turn on the A/C fan, nothing, turn on the compressor, still nothing. So back to the instructions, maybe the shunt amp adjustment is wrong on the meter, nope it's selected for the 100 amp shunt. Start looking at wiring, everything looks just like the diagrams.

So off to the front of the TT, crawl under and pull the cover on the outdoor junction box to make sure I did grab the main ground going into the TT for the load side of the shunt. laying there messing with the wiring for a few minutes not finding the ground wire in the junction box and all of the sudden it hits me.......the TT is still plugged into shore power and this is a DC meter, so the convertor is powering the 12VDC accessories, not the battery....hey that's why the A/C unit had no effect on the meter too .

Unplug the shore power and the meter works perfect.......forest / trees....

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 04:54 PM   #539

Well, I get to add to this thread...again!
Was filling up the truck and aux fuel tank today after unhitching at the overnight camp ground. Filled the main tank just fine...nozzle clicked off when full, as usual. Then I put the nozzle in the aux tank to fill up and my kiddos were arguing (as usual) so I step in to “fix” the problem. The next thing I know I hear liquid hitting the ground?? The nozzle did not click off and I had about $5 worth of diesel fuel on the ground and in my bed! That is all for now...until my next bonehead moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-10-2018, 07:23 PM   #540

Our most bonehead RV move was purchasing a Somerset Niagara. Thankfully, we were able to get out of that heap and into our Jayco. Our Jayco is not the most solid thing in the world, but it is miles better than that Columbia Northwest derelict lemon that took us to the cleaners.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote