Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-09-2019, 06:12 PM   #621

I got everything put away, locked and loaded for travel. I'm just a few miles from the camp and I notice a vehicle driving at the same speed next to me for few blocks but that's not unusual and then another. HMMMN. A couple miles later while I'm making a left turn I see my entry door swinging open. Luckily for me no harm no foul just embarrassed. I had locked the door latch but not the deadbolt. Lesson learned
Jacotim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 06:31 PM   #622

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacotim View Post
I got everything put away, locked and loaded for travel. I'm just a few miles from the camp and I notice a vehicle driving at the same speed next to me for few blocks but that's not unusual and then another. HMMMN. A couple miles later while I'm making a left turn I see my entry door swinging open. Luckily for me no harm no foul just embarrassed. I had locked the door latch but not the deadbolt. Lesson learned
You ain't alone, been there done that.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:51 PM   #623

Bonehead move episode 7

This is the reason why they install locks on the residential fridge. This is our first trip with the new RV and when I get home, here we are. Sadly, 2 adult beverages succumb to their injuries.
Attached Thumbnails
3968BF5C-EF79-4183-B4D4-A4BD5D4ADE57.jpg  
dupe00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:54 PM   #624
Site Team

For those of you who boondock like we do, I'm sure you are familiar with how bad your portable waste tank can smell after using it to dump your black tank. Imagine now if you will, how bad it would smell if lets say you dumped your black tank in to it but forgot to empty it for say 4 or 5 months.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 06:24 AM   #625
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightmoon View Post
for those of you who boondock like we do, i'm sure you are familiar with how bad your portable waste tank can smell after using it to dump your black tank. Imagine now if you will, how bad it would smell if lets say you dumped your black tank in to it but forgot to empty it for say 4 or 5 months.

omg
winner lol

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 08:25 AM   #626

Quote:
Originally Posted by dupe00 View Post
This is the reason why they install locks on the residential fridge. This is our first trip with the new RV and when I get home, here we are. Sadly, 2 adult beverages succumb to their injuries.
Our lock has failed to keep the doors closed at times, so I put a bungee or zip tie around the handles, just in case.
2010 Ram 3500 4x4 long bed crew cab
2003 Royal Star Venture 1300cc
MontyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 07:03 PM   #627

And I continue to learn the differences between towing a pop-up and towing a full trailer. Took it out to practice backing up and parking. Found a nice big empty parking lot, set up some cones to simulate edges of a camp site and roads and proceeded to do rather well. Or so I thought...

The head of the WDH is significantly bigger than my simple draw bar with ball and sway bar connection. I could cut pretty tightly to get backed in. However, in getting back to the storage location and again successfully backing in, I noticed a little damage to the lower part of the trailer tongue and to my electrical cord... More work to do tomorrow...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1099.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	49377Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1100.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	49378

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 02:28 AM   #628

Took our camper out for the first time this year for a long weekend to test out everything before setting out on some week long excursions. Before we left home I checked out everything.......so I thought. Arrived at the campground and hooked up to electric and water. With the DW inside, I told her to open the kitchen faucet so I could purge the water heater of air and she could check for leaks. I turned on the water and she said she wasn’t getting anything. I turned around only to find water pouring from the side of the FW. Forgot to install the water heater drain plug! DUH!
Old 05-05-2019, 04:30 AM   #629

Spent money I don’t have on stuff I don’t need !

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 07:03 PM   #630
Site Team

There are some very nice bonehead reports coming in. Keep them coming, misery loves company lol.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:59 PM   #631

Just a few days ago, not my move thank heavens.

The spot next to us has a long sloped approach to a nice long level site. In the afternoon silence I hear, "OH NO." I looked over and saw a Cooper Mini slowly rolling down the sloped approach headed for a very expensive Class A on the lower level. It gathered speed as the owner chased it. Thankfully he didn't catch it. He never could have jumped in without getting hurt. The car rolled down and swerved, knocking over one of the two traffic cones at the rear of the motor home and continued down the hill. At the end of that road it swerved again, clipped a tree at a vacant site and stopped when it hit a wood retaining wall.

They had disconnected the toad with the car in neutral, no one in the driver's seat and hadn't set the brake.

We didn't check out the damage to the car, (much as we all wanted to) but I think it was only minor. The office told us the next day that no one was injured. It could have been MUCH worse. If someone had been walking along the road, they could have been killed.
harryjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:59 AM   #632

Buying new.
Aggie79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:09 AM   #633

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie79 View Post
Buying new.
One of the worst rigs I ever had was a used one I bought, with hidden problems the owner 'forgot' to disclose, this was before I knew what to look for. So you get it from both sides.
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 03:31 PM   #634

We pull a dingy behind our Embark. On a switchback road as were leaving (before sun up) a very nice state park In Georgia (name escapes me now) I forgot to turn the dingy key on and release the steering wheel lock, after about 5 miles, and several 10 mph switch backs I suddenly remembered. Needless to say we ruined a fairly new set of front tires on the dingy that morning but were able to get back to home base, about 500 miles with no issues.
Misanthrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:11 AM   #635

Can't wait to read through all posts--great thread. On our first trip out with our new RV: 1) forgot silverware (seriously!); arrived at RV park with no waste hose; forgot to lock RV door and it blew open enroute (pulled over immediately when we noticed). Good news: no one died! Hoping to post here less and less but lots to learn.....
bchandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:23 AM   #636

Not my most bone-headed moment, but it caused a chuckle (I was a little sleep deprived, my 2-year old got sick while on the trip).

Hitching up yesterday I hit the retract button on the tongue jack and it started to lift off the wood blocks, trailer holding steady. I had left the stablizers down!

Gone but not forgotten:
Harvey – *SOLD* 2018 Eagle HT TT 314BHDS
Big D - 2002 F250 XLT CCSB 7.3L Power Stroke (semi-retired)
NorCal Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:39 AM   #637

I'm such a bonehead. I do it every time. You think I'd know better by now. Greasing the wheel bearings and put all the wheels back on. Yes I forgot to put the center cap back on one.
This time I was down to my last torque before I noticed.
[IMG][/IMG]
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:12 AM   #638

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie79 View Post
Buying new.
Amen to that. I see some really cheesy built new units today that are just slapped together. I normally do prefer to purchase new however with RV's its not always the best move.
Jacotim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:16 PM   #639

A couple years ago in our 2007 Wilderness 320Dbhs, we encountered a pretty nasty thunderstorm. Keep in mind that earlier in the day I replaced the awning fabric

The family and I settled inside and began to watch a movie. For some reason, a conversation broke out about the awning and the heavy rain falling. Out of nowhere, my mom made a comment that she adjusted the awning. I asked what she adjusted and that is when I find out that she made the two sides even. This is an hour into heavy rain.

Without thinking, I bolt out the TT to see the awning sagging in the middle. I run to the rear support arm and poo pull the handle to lower that side of the awning. As soon as I pulled said handle I immediately realize my mistake! The weight of the water in the awning yanked me and the handle crashing into the side of the camper snapping the tube in half.

Not only did the entire family come to check on me but everyone in a camper in ear shot.

Luckily i was not hurt and the only carnage was the awning tube and a heavily bruised ego.

Never never never never will I touch am awning with lots of water laying in it and I will always ensure proper water drainage.
Yotahilux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:02 AM   #640

Alright, it's been a while, but I got one over the weekend. Well, maybe like one and a half...

We boondocked on the beach for 2 nights. We've done it before and have always been successful. Well, this time the tide was a little higher than in the past. Saturday morning we woke up and we were in water. Nothing too dramatic, but the sand under our rig was definitely wet. DW started panicking right away because she had images of us drifting out to sea and being picked up by one of the off-shore oil rigs about 15 miles out!! LOL!! I told her if she sees a really big boat with a bunch of pairs of animals on it, THAT would be about the time to panic!!

Anyway, we brought the slides in, pulled up the jacks and DW watched from outside while I moved the rig. BTW, we still had the Wrangler hooked up in toad configuration. Anyway, the wheels spun a little, but it was no big deal. I pulled us out and moved a bit more "inland". DW asked me if I panicked when the wheels spun. Nope, not time to panic at that point.

Here's the Bonehead part: Sunday morning it was time to pack up and go, and you guessed it; in the water again. Again, no big deal, it was only an inch or two at most.

So we get all packed up and we needed to back up a few feet. So I put DW in the toad just to keep the wheel straight so we could back up a little bit. I put it in gear and gently start pressing the pedal; nothing. So I let up and go at it again a little harder; still nothing. Blood pressure rising a little now. So I give it a bit more, and still nothing. Shift to drive and gas it; nothing. In my head I see the rear duals spinning and digging down in the sand. So I throw it in park and get out of the rig to check things out and formulate a plan. Knowing full and well DW will NEVER let this one go!

As I step out, I see a red light on my dash cluster out of the corner of my eye. I wheel back around and look closer to see the "parking brake" indicator illuminated in the dash cluster.

I hop back in, release the brake, back up about 5 feet and pull out like nothing ever happened!!!

So, there you go! Make sure you've released the parking brake before you try to go somewhere!!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote