Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-17-2016, 06:06 PM   #341
Site Team

OK its time for some new Boneheads.

Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:01 AM   #342
JOF Mascot

Yeah it is. Does everyone do things right now with no major bonehead incidents?

Old 02-22-2016, 09:15 AM   #343

So far, my worst (thankfully) was mid-way through a week camping trip, I had to take the TT up to the dump station to dump the tanks and refill the water. Our stainless steel gas grill was underneath the back corner of the trailer. My wife said "aren't you going to move the grill?" I said "no, it is fine"... forgot that the trailer was on blocks on that side, and when I pulled off, it dropped down and the frame totally crushed the stainless steel grill top in... As I'm pounding the grill back into shape with a hammer, my wife is standing there shaking her head with that "I told you so" look... hate it when that happens!

2015 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH
2010 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71
Reese Dual Cam HP
Tekonsha P3 controller
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:04 AM   #344

I'm a few pages into reading these and don't feel so bad about the moments I've had so far. They have also persuaded me to print out departure and arrival checklists to keep in the truck to avoid repeating some of these learning opportunities.

Okay, now for mine:
1 - Last summer I decided two days before a camping trip I would pull our old '77 Layton up front from the field out back so my wife could pack it while I was at work and I could plug everything in and fill the tank. It was after dark when I started, but I figured since I wasn't going to be doing any backing it would be fine. I backed the truck up to the hitch on the first try thanks to my nifty new backup camera I had just installed and I proceeded to hitch up the trailer. I was thinking to myself how great it was that I didn't need help anymore moving the trailer around the property. Now one side of the trailer was sitting up on paver stones with long boards on top of that to make it level. I pulled forward slowly and heard a large crack. I jumped out of the truck with the flashlight to take a look and the boards had broken as the wheels had rolled off the paver stones. I didn't think much of it and pulled forward again hearing the boards cracking again. I cleared the parking area and jumped out again to make sure everything was good before pulling through the field and out to the driveway. I was greeted with the waste water line twisted 90 degrees and sticking 2 feet out from under the trailer. One of the boards had popped up as I drove off and broke the box covering the shower p-trap, poked a hole in the underside of the trailer into the area under the bathroom counter, and finally tore the gray water outlet off the tank. It tore the backwater valve in half as well, but luckily the blade valve stayed in place preventing a mess.

We ended up going camping anyway, but used a bucket to catch the grey water, and had to walk to the bathrooms. I still haven't fixed it and most likely will leave it for the next owner, they will be getting a very good price to fix my mistake.

2 - This one didn't do any damage, which is good because it was on the new to us trailer we brought home last weekend. The previous owner had disconnected the batteries as the trailer was in a storage yard and just reminded me that I would need to hook everything up again when I got it home. I drove home 10 miles with the trailer and proceeded to go ahead and hook the batteries back up and plugged the trailer in. 2 hours later I went and check the batteries and they were still showing the same voltage. I then went inside and tried the lights and they weren't working with the converter off. That's when I realized I had hooked the batteries up to each other in parallel and then proceeded to cover them back up and walk away without hooking them up to the trailer. I used to work on state of the art aircraft avionics in the Navy...then I do stuff like this.

EDIT: Wow, didn't realize how long that was, sorry for the novel.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:20 PM   #345

Last year I met a couple from South Africa that bought a new F350 and Montana top of the line and was touring the USA for 6 months. I was over talking to them about differences in our countries and he was going to dump his black tank and hooked the black tank flush up and didn't open the dump valve. I figured out what he did as we were talking and water came pouring off the roof from the vent! His wife ran in and said that the bathroom is full of sewage. I offered my wet dry vac but they refused and vacated the campground 1/2 hour later.
Beautiful Wife and Beautiful 4 YO Daughter
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 02:43 AM   #346

I'm just getting started with this new camper moving from a Popup. I did several SPUTs (stupid pop up tricks) but that's for another thread 😀.
I did manage to do one stupid thing with the new camper on my first trip. I had everything hooked up and was feeling pretty good about myself when I noticed I had really low water pressure. I thought, "man there is something wrong with this campers plumbing". I was right. I didn't put the plug in the water heater. I pretty much flooded the ca,pxsight.
Jflyboym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 05:55 AM   #347

Pulled a great one yesterday. Bought the 29REKS 6 weeks ago and on our 2nd outing this weekend. Cut short due to wife sick. Took my time packing up and getting ready to head in. Had wife pull chocks after backing a bit. She did great staying in the mirrors until I was ready for her to pull chocks. What wasn't great I left the electric tongue jack down. Darn it. Of course two hours later I finally figured out how to get it up enough so I could take trailer home, then the pain of getting it off the truck. What a mess. And to top it off had to make a stop at the hospital ER (with trailer engaged). Ugh.
TravelingRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 06:46 AM   #348

Ram,

Is your wife doing ok??? Hope so!!!

I had one of the Atwood 4K robofoot jacks on our last trailer. Had I been able to buy just the plastic housing in black I would have swapped it over to our new 32 last July. Slightly noisy, but worked great. It is less than a cordless driver when the clutch disengages when raising/lowering stabilizer jacks. Was a little noisier compared to our '87 vintage Reese power tongue jack that had seen better days. Cover housing was taped up from the plastic disintegrating, and when the switch gave out in one direction, using jumpers on it to work just wasn't going to cut it.

Keep us posted on your better half!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 03:38 PM   #349

Thanks for asking. She doing much better, something like gasteitis, or some such thing. They think it was from something she ate, but on antibiotics and doing much better. Got the electric jack off with a hack saw and ordered a new one from amazon. Should be here by weekend.; Good thing planning another trip to state park last week of April. Yippee. And believe me I will double, nah, triple check everything.
TravelingRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 06:55 PM   #350

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingRAM View Post
Thanks for asking. She doing much better, something like gasteitis, or some such thing. They think it was from something she ate, but on antibiotics and doing much better. Got the electric jack off with a hack saw and ordered a new one from amazon. Should be here by weekend.; Good thing planning another trip to state park last week of April. Yippee. And believe me I will double, nah, triple check everything.
YW!!! Glad to hear!!!

I always do a walk around just before climbing in the truck to leave. Check all entry/ storage doors, hitch system/ jack, slides, bike rack/ bikes, etc...

I also do a walk around if we stop and go inside someplace. Not so much at a gas station if my wife or boys stay in the truck, but if we all get out you never know what someone may do.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote