Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Life > Campfire Chat
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2020, 12:18 PM   #721

Boy I wish I had taken a picture...

A very long TT pulled into the site behind us Friday night. It was after dark, and the CG owner helped him back it in. Still, it took 4 tries due to the trees at the site. Tongue was almost on the road and he couldn't back up any more due to a tree at the end of his spot.

When I walked around the trailer to tighten up the stabilizer jacks Saturday morning, I noticed his fresh water hose was a little off...the ground. Yup, it was exactly 25' from the back of his trailer where the fresh water connection was, to the spigot. The hose hung in 2-3 feet off the ground all weekend. The middle of the hose was only maybe an inch below the ends, it was that tight.

I was about to offer him the use of one of our extra hoses, but thought better of it after I saw how he treated his other equipment.

You can't make this stuff up.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 06:24 PM   #722
Site Team

I see lots of bonehead posts showing up. Truly a comfort to those of us that have participated here lol.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 07:51 PM   #723

bonehead question

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1959 View Post
forgot the low point drain 2 years in a row, this is why now I'm buying 4 gallons instead of 3 ....
ok, so now you got me wondering...what is the significance of closing the low-point drain?
This was my 2nd year I winterized myself and I don't see the need of closing my low-point drain. What am I missing here?
I've never had antifreeze come out of it either...I thought it was for the Fresh Water Tank that does NOT get antifreeze soooo what's up?
Is my unit plumbed differently or??

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 07:28 AM   #724

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakterp View Post
ok, so now you got me wondering...what is the significance of closing the low-point drain?
This was my 2nd year I winterized myself and I don't see the need of closing my low-point drain. What am I missing here?
I've never had antifreeze come out of it either...I thought it was for the Fresh Water Tank that does NOT get antifreeze soooo what's up?
Is my unit plumbed differently or??
You should have 2 drains labeled "low point drain". One will be the true plumbing low point drain, and usually has a pair of hoses (one red and one blue for hot/cold sides of the system). These should be controlled by valves inside the trailer, usually under a cabinet immediately above where the drains exit your camper. In my TT (28BHBE) those valves were located under the vanity in the bathroom; in my MH, they're located in the bottom left of the rearmost driver-side outside storage compartment, below the water control valve panel.

The other is your fresh tank drain(s) and will be connected usually to a white flex hose directly to your fresh tank. This typically has a 1/2 turn plastic "ball" valve on the end outside the camper.

If you open your true low-point drains and pump AF into your system, it will definitely come out, and likely with a bit of force. Essentially you've left a tap open when you do that, just like leaving the outdoor shower on...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 09:45 AM   #725

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
You should have 2 drains labeled "low point drain". One will be the true plumbing low point drain, and usually has a pair of hoses (one red and one blue for hot/cold sides of the system). These should be controlled by valves inside the trailer, usually under a cabinet immediately above where the drains exit your camper. In my TT (28BHBE) those valves were located under the vanity in the bathroom; in my MH, they're located in the bottom left of the rearmost driver-side outside storage compartment, below the water control valve panel.

The other is your fresh tank drain(s) and will be connected usually to a white flex hose directly to your fresh tank. This typically has a 1/2 turn plastic "ball" valve on the end outside the camper.

If you open your true low-point drains and pump AF into your system, it will definitely come out, and likely with a bit of force. Essentially you've left a tap open when you do that, just like leaving the outdoor shower on...
Depends on the age/type of TT I believe. I have a 2016 x213, and I don't have any low point drains, only the fresh water tank drain, however I have a friend with another different 2016 Jayco and he does have the low point drains (hot and cold) as Camper_bob describes.
2009 Jayco 1206 Tent Trailer (sold)
paul_ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 10:23 AM   #726

Thank you Paul & Camper Bob, I have never seen any red/blue water lines under my TT. Only the one clear coming form Fresh Water tank.
Paul, do you mind me asking which model your friend has with the extra water lines??
Thanks

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
Old 10-15-2020, 10:58 AM   #727

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakterp View Post
Thank you Paul & Camper Bob, I have never seen any red/blue water lines under my TT. Only the one clear coming form Fresh Water tank.
Paul, do you mind me asking which model your friend has with the extra water lines??
Thanks
I believe he has the same as yours, 27BHS (based on the floorplan).

Take a look at this post:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ins-42321.html

Looks like it might help you locate yours...

Good luck!
Old 10-15-2020, 12:04 PM   #728

Thank you for the link, much appreciated!

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
Old 10-23-2020, 09:10 AM   #729

Smile Turn on the Propane!!!

Cooked breakfast yesterday morning and watched as the flame was slowly dyeing. I had left home with 1 1/2 tanks full so couldn't believe I was empty. Got out my propane leak detector, couldn't find a leak. Looked at the valves and noticed I never turned them on. When I had her test the stove during set up there was enough residual propane in the lines to light the stove. Whoops!
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:36 PM   #730

Bonehead Glenn

I thought I’d take the 1999 Minnie Winnie to a self serve car wash before meeting a potential buyer. You all have already figured out what happened, right?! Lost the AC as I went in, guy still bought the RV after lowering the price by 500!
Glenns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 06:48 AM   #731

Valves on water filter - not a bypass

Like I've done many times before, I went to fill my fresh tank from the spigot on the side of my house. I had been troubleshooting some things, and I had replaced the in-house filter as well as the bathroom faucet (which came out great BTW).

I connected the hose, turned the valves in my control panel to the appropriate setting, turned on the spigot and ... nothing. No flow. Checked the hose; good. Checked the valves; good. Checked the screen in the check valve at the city water fitting; good. Checked the faucets inside; good. Checked the valves again and cycled them; good. Checked the spigot again; good. Opened fixtures inside; no flow. Even turned on the water pump and set the valves to "Country Fill" ... still no flow. Scratched head for a few minutes ... "what am I MISSING?!"

Smacked my forehead and opened the valves on the water filter.

I've even troubleshot that VERY issue on this VERY forum for others!!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 10-29-2020, 08:19 AM   #732

Drove 1 hr 10 minutes to hunt club. Set up went to open trailer no keys. Went to unload 4 wheeler no keys. Called the wife. I told her where to look an she confirmed the trailer keys were right where I left them which was next to the plastic box that holds things like the hunt club gate key an 4 wheeler key. Which if I remember right was all next to my TPMS monitor so I wouldn't forget them. I got the TPMS monitor an forgot the rest.
So we pushed the 4 wheeler out of the truck an thankfully she was kind enough to meet me half way with all my keys. An thankfully my buddy was already out there because there is no easy way to back that trailer up an turning it around if I couldn't unlock the gate.
Old 10-29-2020, 08:23 AM   #733

After forgetting my keys once (luckily I was only a few minutes away when I remembered) I got in the habit of leaving the keys in the glove box in the truck to get into the storage lot and the trailer. Spare keys are at home (I do try and remember to bring them as well, just in case).

Of course, I have to remember if I'm just "visiting" the trailer and bring the car that I need to remember the keys, but 99% of the time it is to pick up/drop off the trailer, and I can't do that without the truck...
Old 10-29-2020, 08:54 AM   #734

A couple years ago, my dad was way back in the deer lease, by himself, doing chores and locked his key in his truck. It was hot, but thankfully not blisteringly so. Anyway, he calls his wife who is 5 hrs away, who then calls my local Chevy dealership (I'm 2-1/2 hrs away, and I'm literally the closest physical person in his contact list). Dealership makes a new key using the VIN from the truck, current insurance, and copy of driver's license. I go pick up the key from local dealership and haul butt out to the lease. 2-1/2 hrs later (well, maybe a little less; I was moving pretty good ) I find my dear ol' dad a little dehydrated, a little hot, and a lot hungry (I brought food, never seen him scarf a cheeseburger so quick!). He was getting perilously close to breaking the window out of his truck if I wasn't able to get there.

Thankfully he had enough cell signal to get it done, but ran out of battery well before I got there. Now he keeps a store of food and water in his deer blind. If absolutely required, he could spend a couple days out there and be just fine. And that's before getting creative... And this is pretty arid terrain we're talking about; not desert, but pretty close. Wouldn't surprise me if he hid a spare key in his blind somewhere too; that's what I would've done... He's also STRONGLY discouraged from being out there by himself...

Found out later I had a friend of a friend in the local area who could've gone and helped.

I'm an Eagle Scout, and try to live the "Be Prepared" life as much as possible, but stuff happens...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 10-29-2020, 09:05 AM   #735

From the "Why bother." department...

It's fall, in the mountains. The campground is heavily wooded. It's raining, and winds are forecast to gust to 36 mph.
The man on the next pitch has been out there for half an hour, with a leaf blower, carefully removing every single fallen leaf from his site. In the rain.

I'll give it half an hour, or one good gust, before he has to do it again.

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 10:05 AM   #736

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeRJuliian View Post
From the "Why bother." department...

It's fall, in the mountains. The campground is heavily wooded. It's raining, and winds are forecast to gust to 36 mph.
The man on the next pitch has been out there for half an hour, with a leaf blower, carefully removing every single fallen leaf from his site. In the rain.

I'll give it half an hour, or one good gust, before he has to do it again.

And he's wrecking everyone's peace & quiet with a dang leaf blower?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 10-29-2020, 10:41 AM   #737

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post

And he's wrecking everyone's peace & quiet with a dang leaf blower?

Not a problem. He's leaf blowing in the remnants of a tropical storm, so the wind, and the rain, and the noise from the almost-flooding creek have already taken care of any peace and quiet there might have been...😁
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 12:25 PM   #738

Drive through bank teller

Several years ago when my wife and I were new to towing, we had an experience. We had a 21 foot tow-trailer and were on a 7 hour trip so I was happy to hand her the keys. With a bit of coaching she got her past the white-knuckle stage. She was doing fine until we turned off the highway and she took a wrong turn. You can't just pull a U-turn with one of these things so at my suggestion, she looked for a parking lot to pull into. Having been married for a while, I'd learned to tactfully coach but never tell her what to do. I was a bit surprised that she chose a busy bank parking lot for a turn-around but I bit my tung and hoped for the best. Then she pulled into the drive-through lane for the teller. There's a big sign there that says 9' 6" clearance. No way are we going under that but with a line of cars behind us, there's no way we're backing up either. We swapped seats and she went down the line and asked everyone to please back up and let us out. With difficulty and great care, we backed out of the drive-through line but our problem was not solved. There was no room to do a U-turn in that parking lot either so we had to persuade folks to back entirely out of the lot so I had room to back the trailer out. We still can't drive by a bank without laughing.
RichCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 12:55 PM   #739

I did a similar maneuver last summer, but can’t blame DW. We were a little early to check in to our camp site, so we figured we’d park and eat lunch somewhere first. Took a turnoff to a beachfront county park. The road got increasingly narrower and ended at a loop parking lot. No problem, I figured. It’s tight, but I can make the circle and go on out. Wrong. About 3/4ths around, a parked van cut off my angle and there was no way to make the corner. So, for the next 20+ minutes I inched out backwards, with the help of some others who jumped in to watch all my corners. I’ll be forever grateful to these strangers who saved me that day.

Moral: never tow into someplace you haven’t checked out first.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 12:28 PM   #740

When we first got married we purchased a Coleman pop up camper. One morning our support rods came out. The bed collapsed and we slid out on the ground. Campers all over to see us on the ground. We were moving too much for the supports.
campersam9 is offline   Reply With Quote