Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-30-2016, 10:48 AM   #371
Site Team

Must have been all the campfires out there!

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:22 PM   #372

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Must have been all the campfires out there!
Haha! Actually, it was in the driveway, but the sun was directly hitting it, causing it to chirp (my guess).

My wife was laughing at me while I was trying to find it IN the trailer. I must've been went through all of the cabinets, opened the sofa, then had the "AH-HA!" moment.

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH
2012 F150 EcoBoost MaxTow
Reese 1200 WDH / Dual Cam Sway Control
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:37 PM   #373

I purchased and picked up a used class A Southwind. Dealer said it was ready to go and everything is set to travel. I was going over a bridge at about 60mph in the hammer lane when the main awning full extended. Talk about an air brake! Funny thing, there wasn't no damage. A heck of a way to do a stress test. Apparently they forgot to flip the arm locks (I also use wire ties now). Ever since then I check twice before hitting the road.
shadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 12:39 PM   #374

Pulled into a campsite that had lots of water around it. Decided to unhook and take just the truck back up to the office and see if we can change spots. I had unhooked everything except the emergency brake cable. Pulled the cord and brakes locked on the trailer, wife asked "what was that?" ...... "oh nothin' hunny" =-}'
Old 07-01-2016, 11:57 AM   #375

Ha these are good stories, and they all deserve to be shared! And, the remedy for most of them is...Walk-around! Before moving! Like a pilot doing a pre-flight!

Here are some of mine, both from the new-to-us Jayflight 15-4 and from 9 years with the Pony pop-up.
  1. While folding the awning in a wind storm, didn't get the brace down all the way on one arm; managed to bend the lower arm. Besides not being able to use the awning for the rest of the trip, this will cost about CAD$150.
  2. Didn't lift the jack all the way before traveling; went over a high pavement ridge and bent the jack. Had to shorten/straighten/re-drill.
  3. Didn't notice a ground slope so didn't set the chocks/blocks before unhitching; the Pony almost got away down-slope toward another (occupied) campsite. I think DW would have unhitched me.
  4. Forgot to stow the lift-crank on the Pony; drove 300km and found it hanging in by about 1/2". Losing the crank would have been a big problem, and I thought about (but never acted on) making a spare fitting for the winch, i.e. that could be used with the tire jack.
AncasterDuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:23 AM   #376

Not the biggest but a definite triple-play! All while heading home from the July 4, 2016 weekend of boondocking:

1) After packing up the camper, all stabilizers up all gear safely stowed, trailer door locked. I noticed the awing was still deployed. D'oh!

2) Hitched up. Lights checked. I'm behind the wheel, SWMBO is shotgun. Seatbelts fastened. Dog is still tied to the tree. Ok, Clark!

3) Stopped for breakfast at nearby diner. As we walk past the TT, I hear the fridge flame is burning. I had forgotten to turn off the propane tanks!

Somebody needs to write up a pre-flight checklist!

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 11:27 AM   #377

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
Somebody needs to write up a pre-flight checklist!
+1, I use a checklist EVERY time, I have one for setup and for breakdown/towing. I've skipped using it for one breakdown before , and it almost cost me. I'm sure I would be posting to this thread more often if it weren't' for my checklists. I would probably be fine, but with two young kids running around they can be very distracting.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:26 PM   #378

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwindone View Post
+1, I use a checklist EVERY time, I have one for setup and for breakdown/towing. I've skipped using it for one breakdown before , and it almost cost me. I'm sure I would be posting to this thread more often if it weren't' for my checklists. I would probably be fine, but with two young kids running around they can be very distracting.
That's one of the reasons DW is in charge of wrangling the kid and the wondermutt. I am left to make a "pre-flight" check undisturbed, and the kid and the dog rarely get left behind! LOL!!

The only thing I've ever forgotten was the TV antenna. I would like to say that will never happen again, but it almost happened twice. I'm thinking of getting some of those steering wheel reminder wraps. I'm still young enough that my mental checklist is relatively intact, but I'm old enough to know that it's getting a little "tattered"!

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:34 PM   #379

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwindone View Post
There's the rub.

SWMBO & I have no distractions (other than each other).

Though, both of us do suffer from CRS.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:37 PM   #380

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
There's the rub.

SWMBO & I have no distractions (other than each other).

Though, both of us do suffer from CRS.
CRS is really becoming a problem around our house. They should make a pill for that! Probably couldn't afford it if they did...

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote