Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Life > Campfire Chat
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2021, 01:06 PM   #761

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennedy1230 View Post
Just went camping at Watkins Glen, NY. We left the campsite late morning on a Monday and we were pretty much the only RV left. As we left we heard a loud bang as I passed a tree.....forgot to bring the awning in before we pulled out. It's damaged but still functional. I'm sure it will be a costly error to have fixed.
There are only about a BILLION trees in that park! We camped there 2 years ago (when we were still allowed to cross the border) and the guy across from us crunch his truck into a tree while backing in his RV. Another camper was backing in a few hours later and had we not yelled out at him, he would've backed his BRAND NEW travel trailer into a tree. I can't believe how many trees are in that park and how close they are to the road.
Old 05-25-2021, 08:04 PM   #762

Wired in my 30 amp

Expecting our new Class C to be arriving here in the next week or two. So, I decided to be prepared by installing a 30 amp service plug here at the house. I tell my better half that I'm going to be switching off the main breaker at the power pole for a few minutes while I add a new breaker for the 30 amp plug in. I switch off the 200 amp main breaker and proceed to pull in all the wire and hook up the connections. "Patting myself on the back". Easy peasy....takes about 15 minutes and I switch the main breaker back on and tell my DW everything is done. She then informs me that never even saw the power go off!!

But, that's impossible, I'm thinking...how can I flip the main breaker and not drop power!?!? I head back out to the power pole and flip the main off and on a few cycles. Evidently, the main 200 amp breaker is stuck in the on position, even with flipping the switch🤔. So, I ended up doing the entire install HOT!

Bonehead move, thinking such an easy job didn't require me checking the power with a meter. Lucky.
Erd04056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 08:49 PM   #763

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttavasc View Post
A couple of years ago I managed to forget packing any pants for the week and half trip to southern Utah and arrived with just the pair I was wearing. Fortunately there is a great Levis store in downtown Kanab. They have such a great selection of sizes that I have made it a habit now to get my new jeans there since we make that trip regularly.
Had a simular pants issue. We went to a wedding and camped along the way. Getting dressed for the wedding and realized, I did not grab my black suit bag. I grabbed the my black sports coat. No dress pants. Went to Walmart in route to the wedding. I must have been, something to see. Wife decided stay in the truck, wonder why?

Picture this; Nice dress shirt, tie, black sport coat, black socks, black dress shoes, and a pair of black athletic style shorts. I finished dressing in the truck after my shopping trip.

This was not the first time either. 1st time DW booked a dinner cruise in advance for one of out campouts. Told me it is casual. That is all I packed. Day of the cruise she goes, oh its formal wear only. She made it work, women usually can, with "accessories". Me, nope another run to Walmart, I dress business casual. I was the most casual dressed on the cruise.

Next time, I will be over dressed for sure.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 10:36 PM   #764

Boneheaded move, huh???

Do you mean, today?
This week?
Last month?
Last year???

Narrow it down a bit so I can pick the best one of the three dozen, so far.
Old 05-26-2021, 07:21 AM   #765

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
Boneheaded move, huh???

Do you mean, today?
This week?
Last month?
Last year???

Narrow it down a bit so I can pick the best one of the three dozen, so far.

No time limit that I'm aware of. When you're ready to come clean and tell your story, do so!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 08:53 AM   #766

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post

No time limit that I'm aware of. When you're ready to come clean and tell your story, do so!

Sounds likes it's actually "stories".....
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 06:52 AM   #767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erd04056 View Post
Expecting our new Class C to be arriving here in the next week or two. So, I decided to be prepared by installing a 30 amp service plug here at the house. I tell my better half that I'm going to be switching off the main breaker at the power pole for a few minutes while I add a new breaker for the 30 amp plug in. I switch off the 200 amp main breaker and proceed to pull in all the wire and hook up the connections. "Patting myself on the back". Easy peasy....takes about 15 minutes and I switch the main breaker back on and tell my DW everything is done. She then informs me that never even saw the power go off!!

But, that's impossible, I'm thinking...how can I flip the main breaker and not drop power!?!? I head back out to the power pole and flip the main off and on a few cycles. Evidently, the main 200 amp breaker is stuck in the on position, even with flipping the switch[emoji848]. So, I ended up doing the entire install HOT!

Bonehead move, thinking such an easy job didn't require me checking the power with a meter. Lucky.
There's an electrician here in Ga at the burn center with burns covering 80-100% of his body. Rescue workers couldn't get to him right away because the panel he was working on was still hot. The other electrician faired a little better. I think his burns were only 40% of his body.
Old 05-29-2021, 07:59 AM   #768

We were camping last October on the Maine coast in our brand-new new trailer and I decided to install a couple of those 18" bar magnets Harbor Fright sells for mounting tools, in our pass-through storage. I took them out of their packages and set them next to each other. Well, magnets gonna do what they're gonna do: instantly clamp together. Problem was, part my thumb was in the middle, so their attraction cleanly chopped off a chunk of skin about 1/8"+ wide and an inch long. OUCH!!! After a flurry of swear words, I just kept saying "how can I be this ÷+/!!&*??!! stupid" over and over again! As we couldn't stanch the bleeding, I ended up at a nearby urgent care facility.

We now carry surgical foam in our first aid kit.
Finally Able is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 04:19 PM   #769

Had a minor one last night. For reference, it’s me and 3 girls in our rig. I always pull the gray tank valve to the shower/bathroom when we get set up and are staying a few days. I did this time as well. My oldest DD went to shower last night when she started calling for me because the shower was filling with water. Of course she’s 16, so I have to tell her to turn the water off! I wait for to get a towel & go investigate. Sure enough, the shower appears to have a plug. I go outside thinking maybe I didn’t pull the gray valve…nope I pulled it. So I start scratching my head. Then I look over at the Valtera valve on the dump drain…yep, I forgot to pull that valve! Crisis averted.
Old 06-05-2021, 06:18 PM   #770

Found out real quick that you cannot hook up the 7 way trailer plug before disconnecting from shore/park power, unless you want to blow some truck fuses due to the power backfeed into the truck fuse box. Or vice versa.
Old 06-06-2021, 05:31 PM   #771

Thankfully not me, but a friend... He told me today he got a call from his RV storage yard about smelling propane around his rig. Turns out, after their inaugural trip a couple of weeks ago, they left the propane turned on at the tank. After a week of 108* temps, the propane hose burst. Luckily no other major damage. They are newbies, so they get a pass.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 07:29 AM   #772

Thank you for the backup cam!!

The other day I was backing up to my Jeep in the driveway to hookup for a trip. I usually use the mirrors until I get close, then use the backup cam for "fine tuning". I ended up being closer than I thought! By the time I turned and looked at the backup cam (still motoring backwards), I was about a foot from my Jeep's bumper!!

Thankfully I wasn't going very fast and was able to stop before I bumped my jeep!!

NEVER would've heard the end of that one from DW!!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 06-07-2021, 03:35 PM   #773

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16WhiteColly View Post
Found out real quick that you cannot hook up the 7 way trailer plug before disconnecting from shore/park power, unless you want to blow some truck fuses due to the power backfeed into the truck fuse box. Or vice versa.
Oh wow I have a habit of doing that when hooking up at the home. Sometimes I don't think about it an plug into the truck while still plugged into the home.
Old 06-07-2021, 04:18 PM   #774

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
Oh wow I have a habit of doing that when hooking up at the home. Sometimes I don't think about it an plug into the truck while still plugged into the home.
Pretty sure I do this all the time with no ill effects...yet....might have to re think my sequence of hook up events..
Dbunke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 04:52 PM   #775
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
It does not do that on my rig.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 11:47 PM   #776

Maybe not the most bone headed, but close. Memorial day weekend we camped at a park that had entertaining roads. I should have taken the hint! As we drove through the camp ground loop the road was so tight that the trailer tires had to run over the tree base to make the turns. I am glad we did not have a longer TT. After we found a parking place I looked around, we were the only RV in the campground, all the other campers were tents or van style of RV. We had a great time and no scratches or paint scraps. Just tight turns. I will go there again, but find a easier way to park. It was a no hookup or dry camp ground. First come first serve type of thing no reservations.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 09:32 AM   #777

Alright, I finally got one worth sharing last trip out. Finally had a "poo 'pocalypse".

We've been basically living in our rig during some home renovations. No problem emptying tank at home as I have a macerator and 100' of hose. Makes it relatively easy. Didn't get a chance to empty the tank before heading out on this trip though.

DW complaining of the stink from waste sitting in the tank for so long, deodorants not cutting it, so I relent and agree to empty the tank (I was trying to hold out until the end of our trip). We're at a full hook-up park, but we're there with some friends, so we're pulled in backwards. I didn't want to break camp to turn the rig around, so I broke out all of my "stinky slinky" (I carry 40 ft of the stuff), but still couldn't make the "receptacle", so I borrow some from my friend; 20' of his hose had it done.

Pull the valve, switch some hoses around to get a rinse on the tank, all seems to be going okay. But it's a little "uphill" to the outlet, so during a flush cycle (black tank rinse on, valve closed) I decide to walk along and elevate the hose slightly to get the stuff out. Remember when I said the valve was closed? Yeah, the stinky stuff wasn't going anywhere, but I persisted. Grabbed the part of my buddy's hose, and it came loose from the fitting.

It wasn't a large spill by any means, but it was ALL on my feet!! Got everything put back together to finish the tank dump and a couple good rinse cycles, cleaned up the spill, threw my shoes away (luckily they were some old blown flip-flops), washed hands/feet repeatedly, sanitized hands repeatedly, took shower, washed hands and feet again, sanitized again, still felt "dirty".

Total rookie mistake. And thankfully my first, and hopefully my last of that kind. It could have been MUCH worse...

So let's analyze: 1st mistake; should've just sucked it up and moved the rig closer to the outlet. 2nd mistake; should NOT have trusted my buddy's equipment. I know my equipment and I know it's in good repair, his was of unknown quality/repair. 3rd mistake; should have known better than to try to "walk" the hose with the valve closed, and should have known it immediately (I've actually made that mistake before, but no harm, no foul that time).

Total Robin Williams moment, and glad that I can laugh about it now... But I'll never "unsee" that stuff spilling out of the hose onto my feet... DW says it's not safe to bleach your skin...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 06-24-2021, 10:45 AM   #778

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Total Robin Williams moment, and glad that I can laugh about it now... But I'll never "unsee" that stuff spilling out of the hose onto my feet... DW says it's not safe to bleach your skin...
Ha, I love that movie….
Furrion Vision S 7” Rear and Side View Cameras
2021JayFlight28BHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 05:25 PM   #779

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2021JayFlight28BHS View Post
Ha, I love that movie….
X2. And it was even funnier after buying an RV!
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 07:09 PM   #780

One of the parts that I remember is running into the same people every couple of nites as you make the same circle of national parks out west. I think at least one of the writers must have traveled as a youngster,some of this stuff you can't just make it up.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote