Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Life > Campfire Chat
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2021, 08:47 AM   #781

I had a very similar poo'pocalypse to @Camper_bob this past week.

Thursday was dump day in the middle of a 9-night outing. I filled up the poop tote and towed it up to the dump station. Everything was progressing well, and flowing as it should when suddenly the slinky hose popped off of the connection to the tank, leaving a projectile stream aimed roughly at the down hole (which was plugged by the other end of the hose).

Luckily the station had pretty good drainage slope to the hole, so things didn't get out of control, but what to do with the mess and a half full tote tank? I gingerly pulled the hose from the receptacle to let the collecting puddle drain down. Then I decide that gravity was my best bet and proceeded to dump the remainder of the tank 'free-flow'. I already had a hell of a mess, and it wasn't getting any worse.

I then washed and rewashed EVERYTHING around the bio-spill with the hose, to the point that it looked cleaner than when I arrived. Lucky for me it was an off time and all this happened without an audience. I can't tell you how many sanitizer wipes I used after that (probably bleached half my tan off). And I will NEVER wear that pair of running shoes again!

If you have one of the Thetford 2-wheel Smart Tote's I strongly suggest you check the connection. The hose is both glued and clamped to the outlet flange on the tank, but I expect that the glue (looks like a PU type) cracked in the cold over the winter, and the clamp loosened off too. I hadn't re-tightened the clamp since last year when I first got the tank.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 06:54 PM   #782

Started the trip at 4AM and 1.5 hours down the road realized I left my wallet at home. Fortunately, we were able to get ahold of my son and have go to the house, retrieve my things, and drive them out to us. Wow, that saved us some time, but lost 1.5 hours for him to arrive.

The reason for leaving so early, was to beat the rush hour traffic in the Chicago area, and now that wasn't happening. It's all good, though. Brushing up against semis on both sides, at the same time, wasn't too bad. The condition of the roads was the absolute worse through Illinois.

2018 Jayco White Hawk 31BH 34'
2004 Surveyor by Forest River 29'
1996 Coachman Catalina 25'
2002 Jayco 12UTD PopUp
TrashMan Videos
sturgissteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 04:13 PM   #783
Site Team

Well, put another one in the books for me today. I had just finished swapping out the propane tanks on the trailer and then bent over to put the hitch pin back in the bike rack. Forgot that the bikes were still on it and knocked myself silly on the brake lever on one of the bikes. Staggered me back for a few min. I didn't go completely out, but darn close.

Of course the girls were too busy laughing at me to offer any help.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 04:21 PM   #784

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
Well, put another one in the books for me today. I had just finished swapping out the propane tanks on the trailer and then bent over to put the hitch pin back in the bike rack. Forgot that the bikes were still on it and knocked myself silly on the brake lever on one of the bikes. Staggered me back for a few min. I didn't go completely out, but darn close.

Of course the girls were too busy laughing at me to offer any help.

Sounds about what my girls would do!
Old 07-08-2021, 04:22 PM   #785
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
Sounds about what my girls would do!
Yep....no sympathy in any of them...LOL

Old 07-08-2021, 08:03 PM   #786

They would sure put it on Americas Funniest Videos if they could have.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 08:06 PM   #787
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke4857 View Post
They would sure put it on Americas Funniest Videos if they could have.
Absolutely. It would have been priceless to catch on video.

Old 07-09-2021, 05:16 AM   #788

Getting the TT ready for the trip last weekend, I open up the awning to air out and lowered the one end to help let the water drain off. Went about my work, but coming from around the corner of the TT at a good clip, ran right into the awning arm and set me off balance in a hurry. That hurt! After saying a few choice words and getting calmed down, promptly raised that end and lowered the other. I thought I had plenty of room to walk under the arm, but was mistaken.

2018 Jayco White Hawk 31BH 34'
2004 Surveyor by Forest River 29'
1996 Coachman Catalina 25'
2002 Jayco 12UTD PopUp
TrashMan Videos
Old 07-09-2021, 10:06 AM   #789

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgissteele View Post
Getting the TT ready for the trip last weekend, I open up the awning to air out and lowered the one end to help let the water drain off. Went about my work, but coming from around the corner of the TT at a good clip, ran right into the awning arm and set me off balance in a hurry. That hurt! After saying a few choice words and getting calmed down, promptly raised that end and lowered the other. I thought I had plenty of room to walk under the arm, but was mistaken.
I’ve done that more than once, but at 6’ 6” I don’t clear a lot of things. I now always wrap a red shop towel around each arm when we’re camping. It’s enough to catch my eye and avoid a goose egg!
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 01:00 PM   #790

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
I’ve done that more than once, but at 6’ 6” I don’t clear a lot of things. I now always wrap a red shop towel around each arm when we’re camping. It’s enough to catch my eye and avoid a goose egg!
I'm 3" shy of 6' and I'm always bumping my head on things. Wife keeps telling me I need to swap my baseball cap for a hard hat.
Finally Able is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 11:03 AM   #791

Quote:

That's not the reason for "Duck" in LuckyDuck is it [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 01:17 PM   #792

Quote:
Originally Posted by colby View Post
That's not the reason for "Duck" in LuckyDuck is it [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]
Nah, proud grad of the U. of Oregon!
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
Old 07-11-2021, 08:53 AM   #793

Just because you were able to jack up your camper an repack the bearings without being hooked up to the truck don't think you can do it twice.
I started out to change the brakes on the rear axle. Had a little more of a challenge on the left side gettin the tire off the ground than last time. Figured it out an changed out the brakes on the rear axle. Great off to the right side now.
I was jacking the camper up an started to think this is a tick higher than it was last time what the hell. Just then the tire looked like it was just off the ground enough so I went to spin it to check. Just as I spun it I heard a creak then watched the camper vear off away from me an crash to the ground. Even with the front wheel chalked an the other side chalked.
Within seconds the trailer was off the blocks the toung jack was on an the only thing holding it up was the scissor jacks. The one on the right side looked fine I thought ok not good but not bad. Walked around to the left side an that scissor jack was folded up under the camper. I'd venture to guess the camper pivoted to the left about 3-4 ft and forward maybe a foot from were it was originally. Thankfully the chalk on the side I was working on dug into the ground and the camper didn't travel any further because another foot or so an I may not have been able to get it hooked up to my truck.
I got the camper secured an grabbed my drill. Once I removed all of the screws I pulled the jack down and the long bolt that makes the jack scissor had penetrated the cover underneath an ripped about a 14-16" gash in it.
So off to a local RV store to buy a replacement. Wanting to save money I only bought one. Well I should have bought the box of 2 so both sides would match. I guess now I have to go buy a pair to have a matching pair in the front. After replacing the jack I used Gorilla Tape to cover the gash in the underbelly cover.
Needless to say after all that I was in no mood to try an change out the brakes on the right side of the axle. I put away all of my tools. But then I did some tree trimming so I could back the camper onto the driveway an leave it hooked up to the truck so I could do the right side. But now it's supposed to rain today an we're goin campin next weekend so..........
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210710_104801.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	73450Click image for larger version

Name:	20210710_104850.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	73451
Old 07-11-2021, 09:20 PM   #794

My bonehead of the summer is having the trailer parked in the driveway this summer, while I work 5 nine hour days and 8 hours every other Sat. I need to retire!!!!
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 10:31 AM   #795

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke4857 View Post
My bonehead of the summer is having the trailer parked in the driveway this summer, while I work 5 nine hour days and 8 hours every other Sat. I need to retire!!!!
Found this at the last KOA we stayed at...
Attached Thumbnails
iMarkup_20210712_122637.jpg  
Old 07-13-2021, 01:43 PM   #796

Not so much my bonehead move, but my newbie helpers this last camping trip...

I tore my Achilles tendon playing softball with a bunch of 20 year olds on July 1st (my non-RV related bonehead move) and got the surgeon's cautious ok to go camping a week later.

Setting up in the rain (of course it's raining), I'm hobbling around on crutches coaching the team trying to get things hooked. Everything goes good until the they open up the tube under the trailer to get the sewer hose and they can't find it. They go around to the other side, still not there. I tell them to check the bumper and nope, the spare hose is not in there. Now I'm cranky.

The last of the group is coming up to the sites the next day and I get them to pick up a new hose. The week of camping zooms by.

Today packing up, they try to shove the new hose in the tube and it won't go all the way in. Now I get suspicious... I tell them to open the other end and low and behold, the old hose is there. Now I ask if they opened up the other side of the bumper, they look at me strange, open up the right side of the bumper and there sits the spare, never used hose.

Now I have 3 because I can't take the new one back, lol.

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
Old 07-13-2021, 01:49 PM   #797

When you mentioned the missing hoses earlier, my first thought was someone stole them. So, as frustrating as it may be to have one more, at least you know it was your own fault and not some jerk, right?
Old 07-13-2021, 02:27 PM   #798

So I guess it’s time to share mine. We brought a watermelon along and forgot a big knife, so I went out to Walmart and bought a cheap set of knives…. Brought them back and later that day the wife was opening the package and I said here let me have that before you cut yourself…. She was trying to get the zip tie off the handle where they had it attached to plastic package. Anyways she hands me the package and scissors and not more than 5 seconds later the scissors to cut the zip slipped off the handle where the zip tie was and I cut myself…. pretty deep….. so I get the first aid kit and bandage myself up, get an old towel and wrap everything up so I wouldn’t get any blood in the truck, drive the 1/2 hour to urgent care and get 7 stitches, I cut it in the part between thumb and first finger on my right hand. Fortunately no tendons damaged. But that did shorten the camping trip by a couple days…. Wife was worried I couldn’t pack up or drive home so needed to leave on a day somebody could come help. I did both without issue. Anyways…. I guess I took one for the team, and better me, than my wife or my 9 month old getting hurt somehow.
Furrion Vision S 7” Rear and Side View Cameras
2021JayFlight28BHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 02:46 PM   #799

Quote:
When you mentioned the missing hoses earlier, my first thought was someone stole them. So, as frustrating as it may be to have one more, at least you know it was your own fault and not some jerk, right?

Exactly. I was sure someone stole them because I was told they weren't in there. I feel much better knowing someone didn't take them.

Colby
Eastern Ontario, Canada
2018 Jayco 212QB
2020 Ford F150 SuperCrew
Old 07-13-2021, 02:53 PM   #800

You’d have to be really hard up to steal a sewer hose, but still...