Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-16-2016, 08:01 PM   #401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Haven't had one in a long time. This weekend, we spot the rig in our site, left/right level checks out, so unhitch and level front/back, drop stab jacks, DW hooks up power and gets the AC running, I dismount the WDH and store it away and install the X-chocks, DW informs me it's time to run the slide out, so I walk over to observe. Uh oh. That power pedestal looks like it might be close. She runs the slide out, I stop her because about 4" from end of travel, the slide it touching the power post! DOH!!

So we remove the X-chocks, bring up the stabs, get the hitch back out and on the truck, etc ... all to pull the trailer forward about 2 feet so the slide will clear the power pedestal and parking block.

Then something in the trailer made a big noise. Found out later that my son's trailer (I use it to tow him behind me on my bike) has blown a tire. I put too much air in it and it split the tube! DOH!

Other than those two minor hiccups, the trip was pretty good. But now I've got a stomach bug!

Having gone through the power pedestal / slide drill myself several times I finally took a scrap of PVC pipe I had laying around and cut it to the depth of my slide and tossed it in the storage. I can use it to quickly guage wheter or not I have enough clearance.

Old 09-19-2016, 10:03 AM   #402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post
Having gone through the power pedestal / slide drill myself several times I finally took a scrap of PVC pipe I had laying around and cut it to the depth of my slide and tossed it in the storage. I can use it to quickly guage wheter or not I have enough clearance.
I've seen that idea, and will likely implement it. Thankfully, we've only had that particular problem once. More commonly, we have to change our "level" after we get set up.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:30 AM   #403

Quote:
We have a cheap ('dollar store') broom and the round handle is exactly the right length.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:42 AM   #404

Yesterday, deployed the awning (still in Camp Driveway) only a few feet while airing out the TT.

All fine until I rolled it up when packing up for the night. Some water had accumulated (oops, forgot the awing doesn't tip downwards until fully deployed). Got 1/2 soaked while keeping the door from interfering with the support rails.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:46 AM   #405

I just used a piece of PVC because it was scrap and was laying right there as I was thinking about it. A marking on your broom, water hose, electrical cord, awning tug, or any other item you may carry with you would work just as good.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:50 AM   #406

Quote:
I just used a piece of PVC because it was scrap and was laying right there as I was thinking about it. A marking on your broom, water hose, electrical cord, awning tug, or any other item you may carry with you would work just as good.
Marking the broom would be a great idea. We keep it close by in the pass-thru storage anyway, so it would be quick and easy to access.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE

Old 09-19-2016, 02:01 PM   #407

With my fingertips touching the side of the trailer, the slide comes out to the centre of my chest. After parking the trailer I stand beside the slide and touch the side of the trailer and look down the length of the trailer. If I can see anything in my way, then I know for sure it will be in the slide's way, too. No broom handle required.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:10 PM   #408

I just had a thought. We didn't even bother looking for slide obstructions! That's probably why I've never had this problem before; normally, I look for that problem. I have a pretty good idea how far the slide comes out and can usually eyeball it. Certainly within an inch or two. But this time, I was worried about another obstruction and didn't even look! I knew before DW even began deploying the slide, (when I stepped back and looked at the "big picture" after we had cleared our primary obstacle) that it wouldn't fit!

What am I thinking? I don't need a broomstick, or PVC, I just need to open my dang eyes and LOOK!

Oh well, lessons learned!

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE

Old 09-26-2016, 08:31 AM   #409

Had 2 (or 3) not so big boneheaded moments on the last 2 trips.

1) Got a brand new Blue Ox SwayPro for my trailer, left the rotating bracket wrench somewhere when we hitched up to leave our first trip out with it! Great hitch, but I knew I would lose that tool eventually, just didn't expect it on the FIRST TRIP! DOH!

1B) I'm using a ratchet for the hitch until I can get another proper tool. If anyone's familiar with those rotating latches, they probably know what happened next. The ratchet (by design) only holds tension one direction; for this maneuver, I need tension in both directions! A breaker bar would be better, but mine is too long. So I use the ratchet to get the rotating latch loose, and as soon as it "breaks over", it lets go quite violently. Lesson learned: Double and triple check you've got everything stowed properly when it's time to go!

2) Stopped on the way home for a lunch break in the trailer last weekend. Opened the fridge, and out popped a nice, new, full jar of pickled okra! Fell on the floor and broke (of course). Luckily, the slide was out, so the mess was pretty easy to clean up. Lesson Learned: "Open compartment doors slowly as contents may have shifted during flight"!

As an aside to that short lunch break stop, it was pretty hot in the trailer. DW knows AC won't work without shore power (no generator, yet). So we opened the windows and doors and got a nice breeze going. Until it started to rain. So we close some of the windows and the doors, and DW grabs a fan out of the cabinet. I'm standing there with my mouth open for a few seconds before I ask her "what the h#@l are you doing? That thing's not gonna work!" She says "Why not, there's a plug right here!" I couldn't stop laughing! 3 years and she still doesn't know how the power in our RV works! Then as I'm in stitches over this, she shouts "WHY DOES NOTHING IN THIS DAMN TRAILER WORK?!! You LIED to me!"

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE

Old 09-26-2016, 09:34 AM   #410

Hey Camper Bob- Hope your wife doesn't read that last part about her and 3 years. Lol.

Happy RVing,
Jeff

havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote