Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-13-2021, 03:16 PM   #801
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
You’d have to be really hard up to steal a sewer hose, but still...
We had a couple camping next to us last week that needed an extra length of hose to reach the sewer in their site. I told my wife that we should loan them one of our spare sections. Her response was that I could give them one but didn't want it back when they were finished with it. I'm not sure why the idea of letting someone else us one of ours bothered her, but she sure was turned off by the idea.

They ended up getting another section somewhere before I could even offer.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 04:17 PM   #802

Drained the water heater and lines yesterday. Went out to put some water in the fresh water tank today. You know, you should never leave the drain stoppers in the sink! I forgot to turn off the faucet on the sinks. Went in to check tank level just in time to see water going onto the floor.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 04:19 PM   #803

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2021JayFlight28BHS View Post
So I guess it’s time to share mine. We brought a watermelon along and forgot a big knife, so I went out to Walmart and bought a cheap set of knives…. Brought them back and later that day the wife was opening the package and I said here let me have that before you cut yourself…. She was trying to get the zip tie off the handle where they had it attached to plastic package. Anyways she hands me the package and scissors and not more than 5 seconds later the scissors to cut the zip slipped off the handle where the zip tie was and I cut myself…. pretty deep….. so I get the first aid kit and bandage myself up, get an old towel and wrap everything up so I wouldn’t get any blood in the truck, drive the 1/2 hour to urgent care and get 7 stitches, I cut it in the part between thumb and first finger on my right hand. Fortunately no tendons damaged. But that did shorten the camping trip by a couple days…. Wife was worried I couldn’t pack up or drive home so needed to leave on a day somebody could come help. I did both without issue. Anyways…. I guess I took one for the team, and better me, than my wife or my 9 month old getting hurt somehow.
Just one injury? That's not so bad!

I always go looking for side-cutters for zip ties. I've had more than one injury from trying to cut those. And while I will do it with scissors or a knife, I've learned to be VERY careful (and to avoid that if possible).

Speaking of injuries, not RV related, but certainly "boneheaded" to some degree. One day DW and I were working on an investment property. She's cutting curtains with fabric cutting wheel, and slices her finger pretty good. No stitches required thankfully; cleaned, bandaged and added a finger cot and she was okay. Later that day my buddy and I were hanging a shelf and had one of the pieces laying on the floor; DW comes waltzing across the room, trips on it, falls into me, and bends my thumb back to almost the breaking point; it didn't break, but I thought it did for a little while. Worst pain I've had in a LONG time (and still hurts a little, 2 weeks later). Same day, we're packing up to leave to come home, and I'm walking down the steps with armloads of "stuff", I trip on the last one and fall pretty hard on the concrete. Hit my knees pretty good, but that's not what hurt, it was my whole body that got torqued trying not to fall on something that would break (I learned how to minimize injury in a fall a LONG time ago). Ended up twisting my ankle pretty good, but not so bad to warrant medical attention, it was a little sore for about 24 hrs.

By the time I was laying there on the ground that evening after that day of injury, I was completely exhausted, and just laid there for a bit. DW came running up to make sure I was okay, and after the pain subsided some, I said "just let me lay here a minute".

That was a pretty rough day...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 07:45 PM   #804

Glad to know it's not just me...

Great posts folks~ thanks for sharing! I laughed out loud at a few, and am very glad that "Minnesota's" trailer stopped rolling before it reached the lake. Also relieved to know that I have good company in boneheaded-ness.
My "duhh moment" was very simple, but confounded me over a couple of our first trips. All trailer couplers have a lock to close on the hitch ball when you hook up and tow. I knew to lift the lock lever for hitching and unhitching, but I didn't know I then had to slide it back into the "fully retracted position" for it to release the ball completely. So every initial attempt at unhitching was a prolonged, frustrating head-scratcher, with no shortage of cursing. Once, I even resorted to pulling the pin on our ball-mount and driving my truck forward till the mount fell out of the receiver. I knew it wasn't the right way to do it, but Jeeeeeez... I wanted to go have a beer already!
Anyway, our saving grace was the next time we arrived at a campground and started unhitching. A friend heard me cussing and griping, and came over to help. Took him about 10 seconds to figure out I wasn't fully opening the lock lever, and another 10 seconds to demonstrate how to do it correctly.
Boom! Works like a charm every time now.
Makes me really grateful for people willing to share their experience with a clueless newbie!
Candorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 06:34 AM   #805

Glad he offered his advice and you accepted. I've offered advice to a friend of ours about how he was setting up his wdh. He said, nah, I was told to get these babies as tight as I can; man did those bars bend. I didn't push it, you know; he was clearly not doing it right, but I know he doesn't tow but once a year and doesn't go very far.

2018 Jayco White Hawk 31BH 34'
2004 Surveyor by Forest River 29'
1996 Coachman Catalina 25'
2002 Jayco 12UTD PopUp
TrashMan Videos
sturgissteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 11:35 AM   #806

Some people are a little too proud to consider advice, but I'm always willing to listen, especially when I'm new at something. Seems kinda like shooting yourself in the foot to ignore a suggested solution or a better way to do something!
Old 07-15-2021, 02:00 PM   #807

Paul~ I noticed you own an X213 also, and am wondering if you replaced your Furrion rear camera dummy with the real Furrion rear camera. I tried, but found that the dummy is mounted so close above the rear rain gutter that when you try to install the real camera, it's jammed into the gutter and can't swivel as it's supposed to...

2019 Jayfeather X213
2016 Toyota Tundra SR 4WD double cab
Old 07-27-2021, 01:56 PM   #808

Got another one last weekend. Not in the RV, but the boat. Lesson learned applies to RV too though.

Fishing down at the coast. Had some old chicken in the home freezer we weren't going to eat. Chicken makes great bait for catching Blue Crab, so I threw it in the cooler. Fast forward a bit and we're packing the boat for a day of fishing, livewell becomes inop (still troubleshooting, but one of the pumps appears to be seized up). DW throws the chicken in the livewell and we keep the live shrimp in a bucket with a bubbler. Extremely heavy RTIC 65 goes on top of the livewell. Fast forward another day ... that dang cooler is SO heavy, I don't want to move it out of the boat, so I secured it and it rides home there on top of the livewell ... that still has raw chicken in it... from the day before ... and it's July in S. TX. Got home, and completely beat from a long weekend fishing, and then hauling it home, and I REALLY don't feel like cleaning out the boat. DW insists, and I relent. We get out there and she's in the boat cleaning up, and I'm rinsing off the outside and the trailer. I get occasional whiffs of something dead, go looking all around the yard where we store the boat not finding anything obvious; we find dead critters in the yard frequently. A little while later, DW moves the cooler to rinse it out and I hear "OH DEAR LORD!!" and the smell suddenly intensifies. "What?! What is it?!" She holds up the chicken bag and we both gag a little.

Lesson learned: Check all the compartments for food... or in that case, "bait"! Same in the camper. I almost left a chub of venison sausage in the bottom of the freezer once. Found it on the last check before I shut everything down for storage... I don't even want imagine what that would've smelled like after a month sitting in the RV freezer ... in S. TX in July...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 02:06 PM   #809

Worst moment that could have been worse - went to the storage to turn on the fridge. It wouldn't stay lit so I turned on a stove burner to get propane flowing. I turned the burner off two days later when I went back to pack. No damage thankfully.

Moment that turned out bad - narrow, winding, state park road. Oncoming traffic caused me to move over. A leaning tree was sticking out just enough and at the right height to destroy my awning. My DW always told me to stop.
Old 07-27-2021, 02:11 PM   #810

The chicken story reminds me of a South Padre Island Boy Scout camp I ran.

The previous year's camp staff unplugged a refrigerator and left the door closed. They didn't check the freezer and left behind some bait shrimp and other goodies. The building had been closed up and no AC running. A couple months later the Winter Texans opened the fridge.

My first official act as Director was apologizing and then the most horrific cleaning task I've ever done.
Old 08-10-2021, 09:18 PM   #811

Popped up popup

I bought a popup camper from a couple that had only used it one time.

First time out they didn't put down the rear stabilizing jacks and when Mrs. Popup walked into the back, the front flipped up and she rolled into the back bunk!

Needless to say, I got a pretty good deal on a lightly used popup. We ran around in that for about 15 years and just now got a 26' TT with a bathroom!

Such luxury!

2010 Eagle 256 RKS
2018 F150 SCREW Shortbed with 3.5L TT
From Cheyenne, Wyoming
Markomyt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 12:20 PM   #812

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candorson View Post
Paul~ I noticed you own an X213 also, and am wondering if you replaced your Furrion rear camera dummy with the real Furrion rear camera. I tried, but found that the dummy is mounted so close above the rear rain gutter that when you try to install the real camera, it's jammed into the gutter and can't swivel as it's supposed to...

2019 Jayfeather X213
2016 Toyota Tundra SR 4WD double cab
Mine is a 2016 x213. Did not come with a camera or a dummy camera. Don't think it is prewired or anything either.

Have been debating installing a camera, but have not made the plunge yet.
2009 Jayco 1206 Tent Trailer (sold)
paul_ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 12:25 PM   #813

Was moving my boat and trailer around the yard getting them ready for winter forgot to put the pin in hitch pulled out my driveway trailer slammed right on the ground in the middle of the street luckily nothing bad happened but I definetly learned my lesson real quick lol
Rdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 12:58 PM   #814

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16WhiteColly View Post
Found out real quick that you cannot hook up the 7 way trailer plug before disconnecting from shore/park power, unless you want to blow some truck fuses due to the power backfeed into the truck fuse box. Or vice versa.
Wow! That's a good one to watch! I've never thought of that while hooking up. I do like to stay plugged into shore power while I bring the slide in, seems like a drain for a battery. Thanks for sharing!
JDug66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 07:04 PM   #815

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDug66 View Post
Wow! That's a good one to watch! I've never thought of that while hooking up. I do like to stay plugged into shore power while I bring the slide in, seems like a drain for a battery. Thanks for sharing!
I used to blow the charge line fuse when I unplugged from the old suburban. I have not tried on the newer Ram.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 07:11 PM   #816

I plug in my cord to my '16 Ram with the 50 Amp shore power plugged in to pull in the landing gear. Shore power cord is the last thing I do before departure.
Old 08-13-2021, 07:58 PM   #817

I like our Furrion camera~ I chose the 4.3" monitor (smallest), so the image is not that good in terms of resolution, but the field of view extends from our trailer bumper to the horizon, so it does let us know when some yayhoo is tailgating us (clearly visible once they get to within 60-70 feet; beyond that, too fuzzy/indistinct). It's also helpful judging alignment and position when you're backing into a site.
Is it worth $410? Over time, I think so, especially as I get better at interpreting the image and its guide lines when I'm backing into a site. For yayhoo tailgaters, I figure even one highway-speed accident averted will make it priceless.
Old 08-19-2021, 06:40 AM   #818

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
I plug in my cord to my '16 Ram with the 50 Amp shore power plugged in to pull in the landing gear. Shore power cord is the last thing I do before departure.
Me too. I like to get the TT set in it's place and get shore power hooked up. Prior to that, I get the EMS plugged in so it'll be ready when I'm ready.
sturgissteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 06:16 PM   #819
JOF Mascot

What happened to all the bone head incidents out there?
Old 01-03-2023, 09:29 PM   #820

Quote:
Originally Posted by nambarc View Post
What happened to all the bone head incidents out there?
We’ve all grown wiser! Or less willing to embarrass ourselves.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote