Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Life > Campfire Chat
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2023, 08:35 PM   #861
C42

Thanks for sharing...it helps to know we're not completely alone..! :-D
C42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 09:44 PM   #862

After doing some work on our 5th wheel and taking it to the dump station at our storage location, emptying and filling up the fresh for the next day's trip and it was late. It was dark. I was tired after putting new sealer on the roof and doing maintenance on the trailer. I got it all emptied and filled and went along my merry way WITHOUT DOING THE WALK AROUND.
The stairs were heading toward the back of the rig after hearing a "slight scraping noise" pulling out the storage lot almost to the street.

This wasn't too terribly long ago and have the stairs secured with a ratchet strap for the time being until I can get back to somewhere to work on it with the replacement one day. I'll just stop there for today!
calisparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 05:12 AM   #863

Embarrassed to admit this, but I bought a Forrest River once.
2012 Jayco 32 BHDS: Long Gone
2007 R-Vision 25: Long Long Gone
1965 Frolic Cabover: My First RV
Bugzilla46310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 07:53 AM   #864

Power Slide Slip-up

When I had a Travel trailer, it's layout was the bathroom door was directly opposite of the main slide. The door would be blocked by the slide due to the clearances when the slide was in. Well, the door was open and I was in a rush (never a good thing to do ANYTHING with an RV/TT when in a rush) and went to close the slide. The switch to the slide is near the entry door and makes it hard to look down the TT at the same time. I heard a nasty CRUNCH sound as the slide moved in and immediately stopped. The door bound on the slide and pushed the wall of the bathroom in a good couple of inches. After cursing at myself profusely, I backed the slide out, took a soft rubber mallet and thankfully it popped back into place after a few smacks with none-the-wiser.
Old 07-16-2023, 06:47 PM   #865
JOF Mascot

Keep em coming new ones occur every day
Old 07-16-2023, 06:54 PM   #866

Last trip out "somebody" wasn't paying attention when backing into the spot and clipped the omni-directional cell booster antenna that is mounted atop the ladder. I guess that is what happens when you've been to this specific spot so many times you think you can back in with your eyes closed. Fortunately "somebody" was prepared with some epoxy to glue the cover back on so it's like it never happened at all.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 07:49 PM   #867

I drove 800 miles pulling my rather long travel trailer with only my driver side tow-mirror extended. The passenger side was not extended. I didnt notice it until I got to my destination, even after a few rest stops along the way. WHOOPS!!!!!
Big Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 08:05 PM   #868

What`s your most boneheaded RV moment?

After 7 years of doing this stuff and thousands of miles I found I didn’t know how to operate a campground water connection.

Fort Robinson State Park in NE. Backed in, unhooked, leveled and slides out. Hook up the water, turn it on and it’s gushing like a bath faucet from another point on the connection. Decide it’s faulty. Let the office know and switched sites. Next one….it’s the same. WTH. Then I found the subtle, same color as handle instructions about pulling the diverter like on a bathtub/shower. That’s a new one on me. I’m an idiot. Got some setup/tear down practice.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 10:38 AM   #869

Lesson learned

Not too big of an issue but there was some panic for a while.

We are in Rockport Texas and it's hot/humid and it's vital the AC stays running throughout the day or else it won't stay cool in the afternoon. Wife and I got up the other morning early to go fishing. I was in the bathroom and opened the exhaust fan cover and turned on the exhaust fan. I finished and waited in the truck while my wife got her stuff and met me in the truck and we were off to go fishing. Late morning it started to get hot! I checked our WIFI thermostat to make sure the temp in the camper was good (since our dog stays in the camper while we fish). It was 84 degrees and the thermostat was set at 74. I just knew the AC had gone out and it was getting hotter by the minute. At this point we are out in the boat in the bay at least 45 minutes from the boat ramp and another 20 minutes to load up the boat and get back to the camper. I did all that in record time. Got back to the camper and checked the air coming out of the vents. No issues it was blowing cold (about 54 degrees). Then I heard something running. It was the exhaust fan in the bathroom. I forgot to turn it off early that morning and my wife forgot to close the bathroom door like we always do so it literally sucked all the cold air out faster than the AC could keep it cool. Closed the vent and fortunately got it cooled off before afternoon heat set in.

Lesson learned!
2016 Ram 2500 CC SWB 6.4 Hemi 3:73
2021 Jay Flight 33RBTS- +/- 10,500 lbs. on travel day
Hughes Power Watchdog Bluetooth surge protector
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 08:22 PM   #870

I’m going to tell on myself. I got a nice slice of humble pie this evening….

We’re in Angel Fire. Supposed to be 25 tonight. Wife tells me the heater isn’t coming on. No fan, nothing. Right away there’s visions of sail switches, and crawling through a labyrinth of ducts and wires. Did some googlefoo. It’s probably a 12v issue since no fan. Remove the thermostat. Check the heater wire. I try the thermostat. Nothing. Try shore power/no shore power. Bleed the propane lines dry. Get the lines pressurized again. Nothing. Start tearing the basement walls apart to access the heater. Stress level increasing.

Here’s the funny part. I’m in the basement, screws and wall pieces all around. Text my wife to try it again. The heater comes on. My brain was apparently still in summer configuration. I was lowering the thermostat temp instead of raising it to trigger the heater. Wife figured it out. Told me I was fired. Lol. Bonehead.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 05:44 AM   #871

We store our Pinnacle at home in our shop and we live on the main road in our subdivision. When we had our shop built we had doors installed on the front and back so I can pull straight through the shop, do a u-turn (we're on 3.5 acres) and pull back into the shop. We did this so I wouldn't have to back the rig into the shop.

A while back we came home from a trip and it was raining. I didn't want to pull through the shop and turn around out back because it would have caused bad ruts on my property and I didn't want to risk getting stuck. We just pulled it in and closed the doors and waited a couple of days for the ground to dry out. A few days later, I go out to the shop, hitch up and start my u-turn and I hear a crunch. I had left the tail gate down and it put a hole about the size of my fist in my front cargo door. Also damaged the plastic cap on the top of my tailgate. Ended up replacing both pieces and that wasn't cheap. I've had numerous boneheaded moves over the years but this was the biggest and most costly of them all. Super bonehead move!
20 Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 05:03 PM   #872
JOF Mascot

I live for bonehead posts
Old 10-30-2023, 07:17 PM   #873
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
I may or may not have knocked myself silly by running my head in to the awning support.
Quoting myself from a number of years ago. Guess what I did to myself again last weekend. Yep, ran in to the same awning support. Apparently I forgot how bad it hurt the first time and just had the need to do it again.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 08:11 PM   #874

@MidnightMoon: Sounds like you need some pool noodles and cable ties, a) to make it more visible, b) to soften the blow.
AncasterDuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 08:30 PM   #875

Quote:
Quoting myself from a number of years ago. Guess what I did to myself again last weekend. Yep, ran in to the same awning support. Apparently I forgot how bad it hurt the first time and just had the need to do it again.
After lowering my IQ with a few collisions, I finally started wrapping a couple red shop rags around the supports. Enough to catch my attention and heaper than a concussion.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 01:11 PM   #876

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
After lowering my IQ with a few collisions, I finally started wrapping a couple red shop rags around the supports. Enough to catch my attention and heaper than a concussion.
I use the shop rags hanging on my awning supports to wipe the blood off my head after I walk into the bars anyway. The supports do keep the rags very close at hand though...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 02:06 PM   #877

I have to admit I have hit my head more than I like to admit (or remember). Perhaps those of us who have done this should ask Santa for one of these this Christmas. ~CA
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.jpg  
Old 10-31-2023, 03:11 PM   #878

Quote:
When we first got this HTT, I did it all the time. I started to hang small windchimes from the low point. Stopped my issue. Have not use the windchimes in years, haven't hit my head either. Guess what, last weekend stood up under the support, knocked some sense back into me. Oooch!

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 06:08 PM   #879

This past summer the spot we were given at the RV park we stayed for most of the summer had a 8’x12’ wood deck. It was awesome we could sit out on the deck in the evenings. Bad thing was this made the awning support bar even easier for me to hit as it lined up with the steps on the deck so when I would walk down the steps of the deck bam!

Those awning supports bar are mounted really well too.
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 12:30 PM   #880
Site Team

I ordered new front supports for my camper from Amazon after much research. They were shipped and I removed the old ones and planned to jump in and finish it up this past Tuesday.
I moved all the old hardware to the garage and the new ones came in on Monday.
I proceed to install the first one and it was a 6 inches to short.
After a frantic hour of re-checking and fretting I determined that I ordered the wrong ones.
Re-packed and returned for refund on the same day. Wednesday am, I called eTrailer and had the correct ones shipped for slightly less $$$ with free shipping.

These pics are the 2 jack stands on each front side that are supporting it and the old jack screws in my garage.
Attached Thumbnails
446EC1E8-9433-41B0-9B9A-0F7755FA6FE5.jpg   2EC02187-B64E-4B90-8948-8ADE20F6A42A.jpg   BBF95CB6-62A5-4502-8D06-CA71B8EF9897.jpg  
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote