Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-05-2023, 01:41 PM   #881
JOF Mascot

Norty bonehead posts are my favorite ∆∆∆∆
Old 11-21-2023, 01:00 PM   #882

Leaving a campground in Northern Idaho and it turns out that the trailer hitch wasn't locked onto the ball - apparently it was locked above it? Thankfully, there was a "speed hump" on the road out of the campground. When we went over it, the trailer popped off of the ball, bounced off the bumper step and landed on the tongue jack. I say thankfully because it all happened in the campground instead of out on the road. The only damage was that the lens for the light on the tongue jack got busted on the truck's bumper. Could have been so much worse!

I'm exceedingly careful about latching the hitch on the ball now!
2018 Jayco Eagle 320RLTS / 2017 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Supercrew FX-4
2020 Jayco Hummingbird 17RK / 2013 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew FX-4
Holy Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 12:29 AM   #883

DW reminded me while listening to my TT stories. Just after we purchased our TT I was using the Black Tank agitator to clean my tanks. We were sitting in the TT when the toilet started to "burp." Rushed outside to shut off the water. Came back in and "black water" was at the toilet flush level. Too close of a call. Now I have a sprinkler timer and a flow meter attached to the agitator inlet.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 07:33 AM   #884
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nambarc View Post
Norty bonehead posts are my favorite ∆∆∆∆
Not banning nambarc was one of my bonehead moments!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 12:05 PM   #885

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Not banning nambarc was one of my bonehead moments!
It’s never too late, right?
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 12:23 PM   #886

Angry

This past October, we were just returning from the last trip of the year to the Poconos. The cardinal rule is I always spot DH as he backs into the driveway. I jumped out before he positioned the RV to back up. I told him to wait a minute while I ran inside to use the bathroom. As I opened the inside door to the garage, I heard a crunch. He hit the eave, buckled the gutter and crushed the ladder. Famous last words, " I thought I was ok".
Believe me, they were literally almost his last words, but not mine!
Old 01-08-2024, 09:22 AM   #887

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiki318 View Post
This past October, we were just returning from the last trip of the year to the Poconos. The cardinal rule is I always spot DH as he backs into the driveway. I jumped out before he positioned the RV to back up. I told him to wait a minute while I ran inside to use the bathroom. As I opened the inside door to the garage, I heard a crunch. He hit the eave, buckled the gutter and crushed the ladder. Famous last words, " I thought I was ok".
Believe me, they were literally almost his last words, but not mine!
I always have to ask DW to spot me in. You'd think it would be automatic by now, but nope, always have to tell her I need a spot. She says "but it's our driveway, you know where to stop!". NOPE, ALWAYS have a spotter. If she needs to take a leak, I'll wait.

Just got back from a VERY long trip, and I can't think of a single "bonehead" occurrence!! Dang, I must be getting better at this!!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 10:23 AM   #888

First time driving our (nearly) new Greyhawk 30 home from the dealer towing our Ford Fusion hybrid.
I've turned left off the busy main road into our street thousands of times.
What I didn't know is the turning radius of that monster is about 50 feet, not 25.
So 3/4 of the way through the turn the brick wall of the cemetery is blocking the way.
Oncoming traffic is stopped and too close to straighten out and void the turn.
And the ******** start blowing their horns, like I don't KNOW I'm in trouble.
I know I can't back up with the flat toad. The solution is to get out and unhook it, then back it up and finish the turn. This is our first time on the hookup, this could take 10 minutes, or more if people want to help. In my mind I can see police cars with flashing lights everywhere and trying to explain to them why I can't back up and the toad has to be disconnected. In particular our tow bar uses a proportional override braking system that activates if there is any backwards pressure.

Well although you can't back up there is some flexibility in the angle before something jambs and if you're very gentle on the flat surface the brakes won't engage so I figured I had about 3 feet of backup which fortunately was enough.
Learning the hard way - - I've never made that mistake again.
Ann-Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 02:07 PM   #889

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I always have to ask DW to spot me in. You'd think it would be automatic by now, but nope, always have to tell her I need a spot. She says "but it's our driveway, you know where to stop!". NOPE, ALWAYS have a spotter. If she needs to take a leak, I'll wait.

Just got back from a VERY long trip, and I can't think of a single "bonehead" occurrence!! Dang, I must be getting better at this!!
Nope, I was wrong. I was updating my 29MV thread and remembered how I almost burned up the brakes on my Jeep leaving Huntsville, AL.

After leaving the US Space & Rocket Center RV Park, I had DW follow me in the Jeep so I could get the propane tank refilled. Got that done at a Tractor Supply, and I was hooking up the Toad in the parking lot. In the process, I got a few calls from a number I didn't recognize, finally on the third time, I stopped what I was doing and picked it up. Turns out my storage place noticed my rig was gone and wanted to know if I still wanted to store it there or cancel my contract. "No, I'm IN it right now on vacation!!" Seriously, couldn't just leave me a voicemail?! Plus my phone was on the fritz trying to connect to my Jeep AND the motorhome, AND vibrating it's little heart out. It was a mess!

Anyway, I finished hooking up the Jeep and hopped in the driver seat and got underway. Slowly made my way out of the parking lot and into the road, and at the first stoplight, the Jeep brakes caught more than usual. I thought to myself "that's odd". Then as I proceeded through the intersection, the rig felt sluggish. I remarked to my wife that the Jeep felt really "heavy". Chalked it up to my imagination and the fact that I had just been driving it WITHOUT the Jeep, so the extra drag was normal.

Got a few miles down the road and decided something was DEFINITELY not right, the rig was struggling. Pulled off on a wide shoulder, hopped out and could smell the Jeep's brakes immediately. Opened her up and tugged on the brake actuator and discovered I had pushed the seat too far forward, and the brakes were being applied!

Like SO MANY other times in my life, I should have trusted my gut and pulled off immediately when I felt something was off!! I KNOW better!!

Anyway, got it all fixed up and realigned correctly and got back on the road. DW asked if the brakes would work. Good question, and luckily I know how to do a brake job, and happened to be carrying all the necessary tools to do it. They were fine, but I probably took at least a few thousand miles off their life!!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 01-09-2024, 02:47 PM   #890

Alright, fine. But it wasn't MY bonehead move so much as my wife.

She decided she wanted to run her hair straightener. She didn't mention this to me, she just did it. So, since the space heater, and the ice maker, and the water heater were running, she threw the breaker. I wasn't around for it, but when I got back she mentioned some things weren't working. So I asked what happened. She told me, and I opened up the Watchdog App, and it said "overcurrent". So I told her, you drew too many amps, you need to turn off the heater and the water heater before you brew a cup of coffee or run your hair straightener. I turned off the heater, reset the Watchdog from my app, reset the breaker, and said "okay, go ahead, let me know when you're done so I can turn the heater back on."

About 10 minutes later, after she was done with her hair straightener, and I had turned the heater and the ice maker back on, she goes to brew a cup of coffee. Watchdog shut us down and breaker tripped. I told her "there aren't enough amps for that, you HAVE to turn the heater off. Didn't we JUST talk about this?"

The next day (after I THOUGHT we were all trained ... again), I turned off the heater to brew a cup of coffee, and she walks in, sees me standing in front of the coffee maker waiting for my coffee, notices the heater is off, and reaches toward the heater to turn it back on; "NO, your going to..." [CLICK!] "... trip ... the ... breaker".

Then I opened up the Watchdog app, turned everything off, and showed her and my son how many amps each thing draws. "It's simple math. You have 30 Amps total, if you go over, the Watchdog will shut you down, and/or you'll throw a breaker."

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 01-09-2024, 06:10 PM   #891

Does trying to run over a solid rubber chock count as boneheaded?
that or leaving the steps down as I'm driving out of the campground... DOH!!
MrBfromNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 06:23 PM   #892
Site Team

If you type it, it counts!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 08:10 AM   #893

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBfromNC View Post
Does trying to run over a solid rubber chock count as boneheaded?
that or leaving the steps down as I'm driving out of the campground... DOH!!
Well, yeah I think it does. Just like trying to take off with the parking brake still engaged, and wondering for WAAAAYYY too long why nothing's moving!

BTDT!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 01-10-2024, 02:06 PM   #894

So far I have left the rear stabilizers down on my old 5th wheel and on our last trip for New Years I left the black tank valve open after dumping before the trip.

2023 Jay Flight 267BHS
2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ 5.3L
Equal-i-zer 4 point WDH
chops1sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 07:55 PM   #895
JOF Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
If you type it, it counts!
On this we agree
Old 01-11-2024, 06:22 AM   #896

Tried to start the MH recently. Turned the key and nothing. Not a click. Tried again, same result. Checked battery connection, looked good. I got jumper cables, backup battery booster and volt meter out of the shop.
Then I remembered the chassis battery disconnect switch.....
Jacjayco is offline   Reply With Quote