Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Life > Campfire Chat
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2013, 07:23 PM   #121

Well, the two I can think of....
We were camping at a state park, not full hookup, so I had to empty the waste tanks. I figured it would be easiest to just hook up
and pull the trailer to the dumper. "Shoot, we don't need to unhook the TV and move it off the fridge...I'll drive slow". The antenna
cable DID keep it from hitting the floor, I guess. :stupid:
The second is maybe a warning. Don't put (especially cheap) spinner hubcaps on your trailer. The spinners tend to fly off at traffic and
other drivers don't seem to appreciate it!

Soulman

"If I was any better, I'd be dead!"
Soulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:19 PM   #122

Once I drove away with the power cord still attached but caught it in time! And I have a campground departure "checklist". Must have overlooked that one. Terry
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:21 PM   #123

Two that I am pretty embarrassed about, 1 I blew up the hot water heater over a winter, and 2 I hooked up brand new 6v batteries backwards and had to call a mobile fix-it guy to help me figure out that I am a loser and like to pay people to tell me about it!
1979 23.5 Okanagan class c
1973 8' Bonair pop-up
tent - not wife friendly btw
OKHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:15 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKHybrid View Post
Two that I am pretty embarrassed about, 1 I blew up the hot water heater over a winter, and 2 I hooked up brand new 6v batteries backwards and had to call a mobile fix-it guy to help me figure out that I am a loser and like to pay people to tell me about it!
Okhybrid, thanks for your honesty. Maybe more boneheads can come out of the woodwork now.
equalizer 1000# hitch
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:32 PM   #125

I was camping by myself in the x17z at a beach CG this past July. It was supposed to be a trip with my wife and I but we were having some major problems and I went myself.

Anyway, my site only had water and electric and it was a blistering 4 days, even at the beach. Come midday I would just go in the camper and enjoy the AC with a book, movie or take a nap. We also got a pretty wicked thunderstorm too and a lot of tents, EZ up canopies and awnings were destroyed by the winds.

It was about 10am and scorching already on check out day. I was already sweating my you know what off packing everything up and putting the bunk ends up. I had to hit the dump station on the way out and this dump station is not ideal, especially with the very low ground clearance of the 17z. There's also a concrete border around the sewer hole that basically lifts the stinky slinky at about the same level as the 17z drain pipe. I had to pretty much snake the stink slinky throughout the whole dumping process to empty the tanks. What fun. Just remember the scorching hot day, having to snake the stinky slinky while draining the tanks AND flushing them combined with sewer smell. Yummy.

I finally finished, got back in the truck and began to drive away. I happened to look in the passenger mirror after about 100' when I noticed the TT door swinging open. I never closed it after I was done dumping. I'm just glad I caught it in time!

2012 Jayco X17Z SOLD!:Beerchug:
LongIslandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:44 PM   #126

I found my trailer door wide open after leaving the campsite. You can't just shut the door you have to lock it too or it can open up on you. I know i've posted about this before.
equalizer 1000# hitch
Old 03-07-2013, 11:30 PM   #127

I drove more than 200 miles pulling a popup when I noticed that I had failed to latch the ball pin hitch, the whole time the trailer was just sitting on the trailer ball, lucky....

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:32 PM   #128

Ok, not camping related, but who else has drove off from the gas station with the hose still in the car? FYI: it has a disconnect that prevents the obvious disaster....

-Chak

My Write-up on managing 12V and batteries
LED Bulbs and what I did
Chakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:08 AM   #129

I haven't read all the mishaps reported but I'm sure my misfortune tops them all- We pulled into a campground we have stayed at numerous times but with a newer TALLER fiver- I thought the resistance I felt was the soft ground- WRONG! I shifted into 4X and pulled forward- It seems an overhead power cord was hooked under the front ac- I peeled the ac off as if I had used a can opener- What a way to end a long tiring day- Fortunately, no damage was done to the rubber roof and the replacement ac was easily installed- Lesson learned! JMHO- DD
Old 03-11-2013, 10:17 AM   #130

Glad to hear nobody got hurt Diesel Donnie,could have been worst.
equalizer 1000# hitch
Old 03-17-2013, 06:56 PM   #131

The most bonehead thing I have ever done happened today. I was out helping some friends open their campground for the season, when it was time to go home I hooked up the trailer, said my good byes. I started to drive out of the campground heading for home and stopped in a panic. I forgot tho hook the safety chains, breakaway cable and the trailer pigtail up. Now mind you I had already driven 65 of the 125 miles home. What a bonehead move.
ptother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:57 PM   #132
Site Team

Welcome to the forum ptother, and the bonehead list!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:22 PM   #133

Proud of you ptother, not many people will admit there most boneheaded moment on there first post. Welcome to the forum
equalizer 1000# hitch
Old 03-17-2013, 08:34 PM   #134

First of all some of these made me laugh out loud (at myself...because I could relate)

So here are a few of mine for your entertainment pleasure:

1) I was placing my winter ADCO cover on my my first travel trailer at the end of its first season...After I had it all ready for winter. As I am on the roof spreading the cover out, I stepped thru my shower sunlight. I had to hook it up and drive it to the dealer to repalce the the sunlight...Now I make sure I watch where I step and slide my feet when spreading the cover for fear of doing it to my new class C.

2) Backed into tight campsite, at night, by myself...backed into picnic shleter that accompanied each site...my neighbors watched it all happen...needless to say I looked like a bonehead. Only did minor damge to camper :-( $1300!

Like getting done with breakfast and leaving the coffee pot on the stove and drive off. Surprisingly enough I didn't tip it over...

Forgot to close a sliding window and had the blinds blowing in the back corner...

Trying to level out a older 76 Dodge Jamboree and drove over the top of the level boards.

Camped out in freezing weather ran out propane in the night and had my hair freeze to the window trim. (Yes I had long hair down to my waist at the time)

Forgot to lock the fridgerator door and had my food scattered all over the floor on the first hard turn...

I've go more but...
Bobsanchez44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:22 PM   #135

Last spring, first time out with our first trailer, going to our local state campground for a test run. Decided to fill up the water tank at home since it was only 15 or so miles and the campground did not have hookups. What did the dealer say again? Fill the tank until water comes out the overflow? Where is the overflow again? I wait a couple of minutes with the water hose running, look under the trailer and see water coming out. Good, must be full. Drive to the camp, unhook, no water out of the faucet. Must be a faulty water pump in a BRAND NEW TRAILER! Couldn't be this bonehead thought the low point drain was the overflow. Darn. Where to get water? Get a 5 gal water bottle, extra hose, drive back and forth to the boat launch, siphon water into the 40 gal tank using a chair on the picnic table for height, cursing the whole time. Finally sit down to relax, what is that stone pillar directly behind the trailer? A water faucet.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:35 PM   #136

Thanks cah2124 i've been waiting to see another boneheaded moment. That was a good one.
equalizer 1000# hitch
Old 05-09-2013, 08:44 PM   #137

I have had a TT for the last 7 years. Have always dewinterized it myself. Just 2 weeks ago as I am dewinterizing the TT and running clean water through the water lines I wanted to make sure I turned the hot water bypass valve and allowed water to enter the water heater. Instead of going inside the TT to see the position of the valve I decided to loosen the water heater drain plug BAM, got soaked as soon as the plug was loose enough. Went into the TT to shut off the pump and then into the house to put on dry clothes, as kids saw me wet and asked what happened and I told them they all had a good laugh.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:59 PM   #138

Just had a boneheaded move today. Just got back from a family reunion with the trailer. We are not going camping for another couple of weeks so I wanted to clean the trailer out and drain the water so it does not go stinky. First thing I did after unhooking was plug in the trailer then I thought I should pull the drain plug on the water heater. Got the wrench out of the garage and loosened it off then started turning it by hand. Just as plug was about come out there was an explosion of water! Needless to say I forgot to depressurize the system first. Fortunately it was raining lightly outside so I had my rain jacket on and zipped up but I still took a good soaking to the face. Oh well, live and learn. Ryan
Ry-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:00 AM   #139

The old water heater drain plug. Mine happened last summer. I was all hooked up at the campground and discovered that rotten egg smell so it was time to flush out the water heater. I get about 1 turn of the nylon plug and it snaps off as the jet of water shoots out 6 feet into the dirt that my wife was standing right next too. Off to the shower house she went with mud from head to toe. She was wearing a brand new $54 Adidas grey workout type jacket that we never could get all the stains out. So it ended costing a total of $54x2 plus a $1.50 plug.
Locky66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:33 PM   #140

What`s your most boneheaded RV moment?

Usmc616 / ry-guy...I did something similar last week. We repaired a leaky pipe, turned on the pump and let everything pressurize, yay no leaks! So decided to remove the drain plug from the water heater and BAM.....got drenched!! Amazing how much and how fast that water comes out.

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote