Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-01-2011, 08:08 PM   #41

My most embarrassing moment came when my brand new Winnebago wouldn't start, and the slide wouldn't retract. I struggled with a screwdriver and a plastic putty knife to remove the plastic panels to insert the manual cranks and retract the slide. Figured I'd get a jump-start later. Had I known the slide worked off the chassis battery, I would have asked for a jump-start FIRST, and just pressed the button to easily retract the slide.

Evidently, the Kwikee power step destroyed the chassis battery. Ugh. I replaced the battery, and installed a cut-off so that the defective step couldn't destroy the new battery. I bragged to my friends how I fixed things and how the supplier (Kwikee) was worthless.

A few months later, I was embarrassed in front of the same group of friends when the slide wouldn't retract. They teased me about the quality of the "fix." Again, I had to use a screwdriver and a putty knife to retract the slide. Evidently, the power slide computer somehow was fried. $325 later it was fixed. Guess who manufactured it?

The Winnebago is gone, and as far as I can tell, my X23B has ZERO products made by Kwikee. I'm sure I'll be embarrassed again, and next time I hope it's *my* fault.
RustyFairmount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:34 AM   #42

When bringing the new TT home I deliberately came in to our street from the opposite direction I normally do so I'm backing into the driveway on the driver's side instead of the "blind" side. Not used to the extra 4 feet of length which seems to be all behind the rear tires so the tail swing is more pronounced than the 19H it replaced. I have a garbage dumpster on the left side and a bus shelter for the kids on the right side. With only about 10-12 feet between the two. Thought I was over a little too far to the right and before I realized it, I had pushed the bus shelter a little bit with the trailer bumper and it started to turn and drag the shingles against the right rear side of the trailer. Ended up with a few scuffs down the right rear side of the trailer up to the awning arms. They cleaned up with some gas as they were mostly tar from the shingles, but there are some scratches that I will need to get fixed. Peeves me off that it wasn't even in the driveway yet and had been damaged. Oh well, at least it was me that did it and not someone else. My TV does not turn very sharp, so it's hard to "jackknife" the trailer into a tight parking space such as my driveway. My TV is the long wheelbase model with four full doors and the Nissan Frontier's are known for having the turning radius of a bus.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:17 PM   #43

Fridge door...

On one of last seasons Oct. trips when it was chilly enough to run the furnace, we were packing up for the trip home and I forgot the furnace was on cuz it had not ran in awhile, I unloaded the fridge and opened the door (which when opened all the way is right in front of the furnace vent)to let it dry out some...well you guessed it the furnace kicked on and I never even thought about it until my husband came to the door to tell me something and said "the furnace is running and the fridge door is in front of it!" the heat of the furnace warped the front of the door.....thankfully it still closes and seals but my husband will never let me live that one down! He said he's just glad it wasn't him cuz he'd have to hear it from me!! :hihi:

2006 Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab
2010 Jayco 1206 pup
elstonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:12 AM   #44

Yesterday, when I was picking up our HHT from storage, when I hooked up the battery, the 30 amp fuse blew. So what did I do? Put another 30 amp fuse in the fuse holder. Yep, it blew too. I was SURE the positive was on the righthand side. WRONG!

Albert Einstein Quotes - Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results...
2010 Jayco EXP 21M Hybrid

“This isn’t rocket science; it’s more like quantum physics.”
Topflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:16 AM   #45

On our maiden voyage (last week!) with our new (to us) pup, I got everything in place (chocks, jacks, etc.) cranked up the top, popped out the beds, got the door all set, pulled out the step, got ready to sit down in my chair....and realized I didn't open up/undo the canopy....and its now 8 ft in the air.

Undo the door, undo the tents, crank down the top....

2009 JKU TV (Its a Jeep thing...you wouldn't understand!)
2000 Quest 8U PUP
Tyreguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:14 PM   #46

We arrrived at our campsite and I hooked up the electric, water and sewer. Suddenly there was water pouring from upder the RV. I havd mistakenly set the the water panel to "tank fill "instead of "city water". At least I know the tank over flow valve works, but it did scare the heck out of me!
Old 07-23-2011, 08:05 PM   #47
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyreguy View Post
On our maiden voyage (last week!) with our new (to us) pup, I got everything in place (chocks, jacks, etc.) cranked up the top, popped out the beds, got the door all set, pulled out the step, got ready to sit down in my chair....and realized I didn't open up/undo the canopy....and its now 8 ft in the air...
The few times I made that same mistake with the pop-up my youngest son was light enough that I would hold him up and let him unzip the pouch that contained the canopy.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:43 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyreguy View Post
On our maiden voyage (last week!) with our new (to us) pup, I got everything in place (chocks, jacks, etc.) cranked up the top, popped out the beds, got the door all set, pulled out the step, got ready to sit down in my chair....and realized I didn't open up/undo the canopy....and its now 8 ft in the air.

Undo the door, undo the tents, crank down the top....
Yep, done that too. I now carry a small step stool in the bed of the truck just in case. I also have forgotten to plug the a/c cord into the top of the camper before raising it. Step stool is handy thing to have.
2010 Jayco EXP 21M Hybrid

“This isn’t rocket science; it’s more like quantum physics.”
Topflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:27 AM   #49

Lowered the rear jacks on our pup, then wondered why it was so tough to raise the front to get it level. More times than I want to remember I tried to lower the pup and forget to swing the door up. Thang god for hybrids. Larry
Old 07-24-2011, 11:04 AM   #50

With our first camper we were on our way to the Black Hills, hit a large bump. When we stopped for lunch walked in camper to check it out. Turns out pancake syrup bottles break when they leave the cupboard going down the highway. Hours of clean up. Hubcaps will not stay on while exceeding speed limit and going over rough bridges.

2006 GMC K1500 HD Crew
2011 Eagle Super Lite 31.5 FBHS
Brock1637 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:23 PM   #51

I'm so glad to know that I'm not the only one!

My confession is that I have done about 75% of the things all ready mentioned!

However, a couple of years ago, I winterized the TT trailer. I always put some RV antifreeze into the holding tanks. Got everything done and when doing my final walk around/inspection I noticed a lot of pink fluid on the driveway. Yep forgot to close the tank valves after the final flush!

Along those same lines did it again last week while camping. Pulled in, set up and started camping. Started smelling something bad. Investigating further, it became apparent that I had forgotten to shut those darn valves again. Worse we were at a relatives house! Talk about rough. At least their lawn got some "organic" fertilizer!
Chazinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:08 PM   #52

Last week on our trip up to Oregon I forgot to close the window on the hybrid before we left the campground. When we stopped for fuel a couple of hours later I discovered that the wind going in the window had beat the mini blinds to death. Almost all of the slats had broken off to the first cord on one end from the incessant flexing in the wind.
tbwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:19 AM   #53

Was heading into the campground this past July and got in the line to fill my water tanks. I was third in line and the line was really starting to get long. The guy at the front was filling his tanks(or thought he was) and was sitting in his older MH. This went on for at least 20 minutes and finally two of us walked up to his rig and yelled at him to come out. He had his hose hooked up to the City connection. He promptly unhooked and left.
Albertaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 04:59 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertaguy View Post
Was heading into the campground this past July and got in the line to fill my water tanks. I was third in line and the line was really starting to get long. The guy at the front was filling his tanks(or thought he was) and was sitting in his older MH. This went on for at least 20 minutes and finally two of us walked up to his rig and yelled at him to come out. He had his hose hooked up to the City connection. He promptly unhooked and left.
HAHAHAHAHA! I did that with a borrowed MH once.
I also took off without closing the door on my 13' FG egg and when I turned a corner at the end of my block the fridge opened and emptied it's contents out onto the road.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:06 PM   #55

Written by Chazinn on 08-09-2011 at 07:23PM......

However, a couple of years ago, I winterized the TT trailer. I always put some RV antifreeze into the holding tanks. Got everything done and when doing my final walk around/inspection I noticed a lot of pink fluid on the driveway. Yep forgot to close the tank valves after the final flush!

That's pretty much what I did except in my case, I forgot to close the low water drains. Of course, there were a couple other boneheaded RV moments but we won't go into those right now. This post is already too long. Things happen....
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:12 PM   #56
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg1971 View Post
Written by Chazinn on 08-09-2011 at 07:23PM......

That's pretty much what I did except in my case, I forgot to close the low water drains. Of course, there were a couple other boneheaded RV moments but we won't go into those right now. This post is already too long. Things happen....

Come on now dg, let`s hear about the other ones!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:21 PM   #57

Come on now dg, let`s hear about the other ones!
I choose to exercise my right to remain silent in order to protect my dignity. Actually they were not so bad....just kinda like learning to ride a bicycle...you're gonna fall till you learn how to do it...then if you get a little careless, you're gonna fall again.
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:42 PM   #58

I had to move the fiver around the yard to do the mowing, in my haste I left the steps down.

Pulling the fiver through a tight spot between two trees, the steps hooked the tree trunk and bent like a pretzel. No way to straighten them out, either.

I found a new set of steps on eBay that had three treads instead of two, which my fiver sorely needed as the axles were flipped by the previous owner. With a trip to the welding shop, the pretzeled steps were removed and the new steps added on. It's much easier to get into the fiver now, so all is well that ends well.

Richard and Laura Ray
Amateur Radio W4RLR
"The Green Goblin" 2008 F-250 Lariat CC SB, 6.4 liter automatic, 4x4"Love Shack" 1995 Jayco Eagle 277 RBSS fifth-wheel
rray32539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:21 AM   #59

I was emptying my gray tanks into a tote to take to the dump. I had a 5/8" hose attached to the 5'er because it was easier not to have the tote right at the drain. The hose was 50'. Yep, you guessed it, I out of habit pulled the black valve first. It started to flow and promptly plugged up the hose. Attaching the hose to a water faucet, with an anti backup value obviously, to clean the hose out wasn't the problem. Figuring out how to empty the 3" line from the dump valve to the hose was the problem. The only solution was to dig a small hole under it and bury it.

I won't do that again I can assure you.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:05 PM   #60

I really don't think this is a boneheaded moment, but my husband does.

I used to be in charge of draining the black and grey water tanks, but after forgetting to close the grey water valve twice, he has taken the job away from me. Now that's his job. So maybe this is a good thing?
KathyDiane is offline   Reply With Quote