Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-14-2010, 11:05 AM   #1

Where to Camp/Live...

Just lookin' around the site and I see pictures, etc. in different parts of the country. I've got about 15 - 20 years before me and the family move to our permanent retirement state (gotta get out of NY before taxes take everything I will have worked so hard for..)..

I know I want to move South but where to ? is the question... What's everyones opinion on what they consider to be the greatest place in the country ? Take into consideration climate, cost of living, scenery, bugs, etc..

What does everyone think ? Where would you move to to live permanently ?

Thanks !!

2006 Jayco JayFlight 27.5 BHS
03 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD
HippieCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:48 PM   #2

My wife and I have just been talking about the same thing. We have about 15years to think about it as well, we lightly talked about and considered South Carolina as one possible area. If so, we would likely be inland far away enough to stay away from Hurricanes, yet close enough to make short trips to the ocean area.
We also talked about Northern Nevada (between Las Vegas and Reno) area.
This may need a visit to the area before we really consider this location. My wife has been to Las Vegas, but not to Reno area. She said "Maybe we should plan a trip out there and see what we think".
Of course I was willing to comply with Mama!

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
2014 Ford F150 Platinum, 4 x 4 Crew Cab with Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer Hitch
OurJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:59 PM   #3

We went through the same issue - living in Atlanta metro - where to go when retire. Did not want to stay in big city and the high taxes, traffic etc.

We did not consder west as we are southerners.

We considered gulf coast - decided no because of long long (early May to late September) hot humid summer. Also property is expensive and the hurricanes. No Florida income tax but high sales & property taxes.

We considered East Tennessee Western NC mountains. Has 4 seasons, some snow. Some hot summer days but much cooler than coast. Generally cool at night.

We ended up in NE Alabama on Lake Wedowee. 10,000 acre Alabama Power lake that has very clean water. Averages about 15 brutal summer days, unlike the gulf coast which has many more. Also have 4 seasons but only 2-3 inches snow for year. We bought lot and built a new home. Looked at other Alabama and Georgia lakes but at that time property was much more expensive (>$100,000 for same type lot) and property taxes three times higher in Georgia. Another major consideration was our parents were all living and we were within 3 hours of each. We are very happy here, life is very slow.

Advice to all looking to retire. When retire make sure you have something to do. Get involved in the community, volunteer, make it a better place, earn your acceptance, but don't expect to change it over night. We travel about 30-40% of the year in our 5th Designer and involved in the community when home.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:09 PM   #4

We always new that when we retired, we would want to travel around the country in an RV. We are pretty certain that it won't become permenent full time though.... We are pretty attached to our grandkids and our kids. So we remain living near them, and take off on 2-3 month trips maybe 3-4 times a year. During the Summer we will do more camping with our grandkids.
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:30 AM   #5

We're both retired and enjoy living in the panhandle of Florida. After having lived on the coast for about 30 years we moved inland only 25 miles. The 25 miles may not seem like much but a totally different type and style of living. We live near a small town on a beautiful creek, filled with Cypress Trees and stumps. If you like the outdoors, hunting and fishing a great place to live.

Although Florida does not have a state income tax, as expressed by "kcconawa", taxes and property is rather high here. It's my understanding that the cost of living, taxes, etc., are less in the state of Alabama and we have also heard Missouri. We have acquaintances who have retired and moved to those states for that reason. Also, we've been told health insurance is less expensive in those two states.

We like to RV as much as possible but will probably stay here. We have children and grandchildren living in the area. I was raised here and never strayed too far from home. Winters are normally mild here, but the summers brutaly hot and humid. Spring and fall is relatively short. Mostly just summer and winter. We try to spend a lot of time in the north Georgia mountains during the summer months to escape the heat and humidity.

Jim
Priscilla, best friend & navigator.
Hank (5 year old black & tan Dachshund)
Cocoa (3 year old brown & tan dapple Dachshund)
2010 Fleetwood Excursion 30a
Toad is a 2007 Jeep Wrangler X
(We traded in our F250 and Jayco Eagle)
One Country Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 05:13 AM   #6

Sorry for the delay in posting back. BIG THANKS TO ALL for the advice !!! Very interesting. I hope others post as well. Like I said, I have time to ponder all the input... I don't know a whole lot about moving West but would certainly not be against it if I found the right situation. Being an East Coast guy I just don't know anything about living conditions, taxes, etc. from anything further West than Virginia !!!!!

I've had family in Alabama and Florida and I think I'm going to stay away from Florida due to hot Summers and some cost-of-living issues. I've been to Auburn, AL and found it really agreeable but still need to learn more.

I guess the answer will come by taking a couple long trips in the 5'er when we get some time saved up and the kids get older. We have always planned on seeing the country once and for all whenever we get the opportunity. Unfortunately it's going to be a while.

Thanks again for the input and keep it coming !!!

Cheers !!

Old 05-19-2010, 06:11 AM   #7

Born and Raised in the San Joquin county I have been living in the ohio valley since 1979 and have no plans of relocating.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:37 AM   #8

Be sure to consider, also, the social and political aspects of a future retirement location. You might be quite uncomfortable in parts of the country that are very different socially and politically from your current location.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:57 PM   #9

Texas Sam is right in what he says, but even if you move someplace where people feel different from you, especially from a political point of view, as long as you don't get in a heated conversation you’d do just fine, in my humble opinion that is. Having said that there are a lot of places that are down right beautiful with friendly natives but you have to visit 'em and find the one that suits you best. I live in eastern VA but don't recommend it unless you move to Williamsburg but be warned, it's pricey. Western VA is way prettier, in my opinion, but the taxes are better suited to ones pocket book in North Carolina or even further south, i.e. Florida. Texas, from what friends tell me, has some tax benefits but what you pay on land taxes can make up for it, again so I’m told (somebody in TX can address this). As for the wife and me, we're strongly considering a move close to Edenton, NC as I'll save about $4K a year in taxes alone. NC also gives a credit, tax wise, for government (military & civilian) pensions, which always comes in handy, if you happen to fall into that category.

Bottom line, it's a crap shoot; you just have to travel about a bit and find a place you like. I wish ya luck if you have the "relocation bug".
RR Conductor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:25 PM   #10

Pete is right about Texas property taxes being high, particularly property taxes to pay for education. Texas has no state income tax and as a result depends on property taxes and sales taxes to pay for state and local government services. Retirees with nice homes but lower income than during their working years are especially hard hit by the state's dependence on property and sales taxes.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR Conductor View Post
Texas Sam is right in what he says, but even if you move someplace where people feel different from you, especially from a political point of view, as long as you don't get in a heated conversation you’d do just fine, in my humble opinion that is. Having said that there are a lot of places that are down right beautiful with friendly natives but you have to visit 'em and find the one that suits you best. I live in eastern VA but don't recommend it unless you move to Williamsburg but be warned, it's pricey. Western VA is way prettier, in my opinion, but the taxes are better suited to ones pocket book in North Carolina or even further south, i.e. Florida. Texas, from what friends tell me, has some tax benefits but what you pay on land taxes can make up for it, again so I’m told (somebody in TX can address this). As for the wife and me, we're strongly considering a move close to Edenton, NC as I'll save about $4K a year in taxes alone. NC also gives a credit, tax wise, for government (military & civilian) pensions, which always comes in handy, if you happen to fall into that category.

Bottom line, it's a crap shoot; you just have to travel about a bit and find a place you like. I wish ya luck if you have the "relocation bug".
Thanks Pete !

Yeah, I guess the solution to the question is to hop in the 5'er down the road a few years from now and drive around. I suppose the most important thing is to find the most appealing place and then get some answers to the other questions (taxes, cost of living, etc..)....

Thanks to all ! Keep 'em coming. This is very helpful and interesting as well.