Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-05-2015, 12:32 PM   #1

Who rents at these prices?

Several years ago the DW and I rented a PUP from a local Marine Corps MWR (Morale, Welfare and Recreation) center or around $30 a night. Since we bought our TT a few years ago I hadn't given much thought about renting any type of RV until a local RV dealer started a radio ad touting their sales and rentals.

I took a look at the dealers rental prices and I was shocked at the high prices and wondered how they even find people to rent them.

For instance, their rentals are 3 days minimum and a Coachman 17FQ TT will run you $591 for that period. A 32' Class A (Coachmen Pursuit 29SB) will run you $1096 for the same time period if you put less than 300 miles on the unit.

Do these prices seem pretty high or is this the norm for a rental unit?
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 12:48 PM   #2

In Orlando, class A rentals are $1,500.00 to $2,500.00 a week. Many people with storage issues will sub their rigs to these places. They make some money and have their rigs stored for free. If you don't mind other people in your RV it's a good deal.

JoeMazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 01:34 PM   #3

insane
rick danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 01:37 PM   #4

In my area pop-ups are a one week minimum, regardless if you only want it for 3 nights. It's around $500 for a week.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 02:20 PM   #5

Here in Ottawa Canada I looked into renting a pup. I was shocked when I was looking at about 900 for two Weeks. Can't specifically recall but it was enough that I decided to just outright buy one so we could camp anytime we liked.

Here's the link to a local Rental place.

Ottawa Camping Trailers Rental Department.

Click on the rentals tab at top of the page to see the Pups, TT or 5th Wheels.

PUP - 8ft $485/week, 10Ft $550/Week (CDN $$$)
Equalizer 10k WD, Prodigy P3 Controller, TST TPMS

2012 - Jayco Sport 10 Popup - Traded
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 02:21 PM   #6

My two cents…

I live very near Yosemite and Sequoia NP. There are lots of rental locations around here, both National and Local companies. They have prices like you mentioned, and we have always thought it was crazy too. We looked into a couple times for friends and family that want to go with us, but we can't accommodate everyone in our TT so rental sounded like an idea, till we saw the prices.

Then we started thinking how fun it would be to go to Fort Wilderness at Disney World. We certainly don't have time or desire to tow 3000+ miles so our choices are hotel/resort or rent an RV when we get there. We haven't pulled the trigger on that yet, but renting would likely be our choice because want the Fort Wilderness experience. We have done Disney staying the resorts, which are very nice, but think camping in the fort would just be a lot of fun.

Second, back to where I live, we have hordes of tourists flocking to the National Parks. Both International and domestic, they are paying what ever it cost to have the RV camping experience in those parks. Very much like when we travel to Europe we pay whatever it cost to have the experience we want. At time like that its not about money.

So I guess the rental companies have figured out they don't want their target market to the local family who want to go RV/TT camping occasionally. They want the destination minded family that is buying an experience, not simply renting an RV.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 03:03 PM   #7

Wife and I were planning a trip to a big camping rally around Geo Caching a few years ago. All 3 kids, (late teens, early 20s), jumped on the band wagon and brought friends. So we rented a C class and took our popup too. Great time had by all.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 03:03 PM   #8

Clubhouse, you hit it right on the head.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 03:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
My two cents…

I live very near Yosemite and Sequoia NP. There are lots of rental locations around here, both National and Local companies. They have prices like you mentioned, and we have always thought it was crazy too. We looked into a couple times for friends and family that want to go with us, but we can't accommodate everyone in our TT so rental sounded like an idea, till we saw the prices.

Then we started thinking how fun it would be to go to Fort Wilderness at Disney World. We certainly don't have time or desire to tow 3000+ miles so our choices are hotel/resort or rent an RV when we get there. We haven't pulled the trigger on that yet, but renting would likely be our choice because want the Fort Wilderness experience. We have done Disney staying the resorts, which are very nice, but think camping in the fort would just be a lot of fun.

Second, back to where I live, we have hordes of tourists flocking to the National Parks. Both International and domestic, they are paying what ever it cost to have the RV camping experience in those parks. Very much like when we travel to Europe we pay whatever it cost to have the experience we want. At time like that its not about money.

So I guess the rental companies have figured out they don't want their target market to the local family who want to go RV/TT camping occasionally. They want the destination minded family that is buying an experience, not simply renting an RV.
I live in Orlando and worked at Disney. We have stayed at every resort and the Fort is the best...You will have a great time
JoeMazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 04:32 PM   #10

We live in SoCal and rented a couple of times to see how we liked RV'ing vs. tenting. It cost us roughly $120/night for a 27 ft trailer. More if you wanted to rent the generator too. We talked ourselves into buying our own trailer because the storage for the year would be about the same as renting for one week. About the same as a hotel room but we find it more fun to camp.
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:16 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMazz View Post
I live in Orlando and worked at Disney. We have stayed at every resort and the Fort is the best...You will have a great time
Fort Wilderness also have the cabin/homes you can rent. They are basically a one family "hotel", but made to look like a cabin, with all the same frills of camping at Ft. Wilderness.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:45 AM   #12

When you tally up cost of the RV, maintenance, insurance, depreciation, license, storage, tow vehicle, toad etc, it makes perfect sense to rent an RV at that price. Unless you are an every weekend or full timer, the finances don't add up (ie. saving money) on a vacation. We all spend money to have the "experience" and the convenience of having our own.

I sat down and did the math. I want to go camping with my family for a week in Utah. When factoring in food, gas, campsites etc, I can fly there, rent an identical (or better) RV for a week and camp cheaper than I can drive mine there.
Wertles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 05:21 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wertles View Post
When you tally up cost of the RV, maintenance, insurance, depreciation, license, storage, tow vehicle, toad etc, it makes perfect sense to rent an RV at that price. Unless you are an every weekend or full timer, the finances don't add up (ie. saving money) on a vacation. We all spend money to have the "experience" and the convenience of having our own.

I sat down and did the math. I want to go camping with my family for a week in Utah. When factoring in food, gas, campsites etc, I can fly there, rent an identical (or better) RV for a week and camp cheaper than I can drive mine there.
Very true, but the experience of driving to a location....for me, priceless. I am one of the few I guess that still likes to drive to a location, all the while viewing out from the windshield, places I've never seen before. I'll even crack a window and take in a smell or two, both good and bad, then wonder why I complain to my wife about how bad a particular place smells; she then tells me to "stop smelling then, and roll up the window"!

That part gets lost if I were to fly in somewhere. I recall as a kid going on family vacations in dads deluxe cruiser station wagon. I still like to do this.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 05:37 AM   #14

Those rental prices are why I bought a brand new trailer.

Over $1K for an extended weekend. Because of how much we use it, it'll pay for itself in about 3 years.

Which is how long those rental units are in service. Then they are unscrupulously sold as 'used'.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 06:36 AM   #15

Face it, you're paying for the convenience and the experience. If you trailered your RV from CA to Disney, what would your additional expenses be in decreased gas mileage, nightly site fees, and time..........add it all up and I'm betting it would come pretty close to renting a unit in Orlando. Base Pro just opened up a new show case store in the Memphis Pyramid to the tune of hundred of millions, with a large portion of that coming from the City itself (and I'm not gonna get on that thread this morning, my BP is high already), $10 to ride a glass elevator up the center of the building to Observation Decks, Restaurant and Bar.......third floor hotel rooms looking out over the panorama of the store, mock cyprus swamp, fish ponds, etc., etc., all decorated in themed looks consistent with "outdoor" living.......all for the starting price of $295 and up....throw in all the add ons fees and taxes (mandatory) and you're hitting $375 for their cheapest room. I told my wife it would only be worth it if I could figure out someway to slip down into the store from the balcony after hours and restock my tackle box......just kidding.

Jayco Jay Series 1206
Dodge Ram 1500, Hemi
Lifespalette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:00 AM   #16

I get the destination experience like Florida and Yosemite. People saving up splurge for trips like that but I don't consider Kansas City a tourist hotspot Maybe that dealer has to raise prices to make a profit in our short midwest camping season.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote