Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-08-2011, 04:02 PM   #1

Winter Camping? The Answer is Yes!

So the wife and I went over to the property where we store our tt and I got the idea of doing a little winter camping. The temp today in Pittsburgh reads about 17 degrees as I write this. Thinking it may get down to the single digits tonight. My thoughts are to fire up the furnace and get some warm blankets and see if we can make a night of it. Though we wont have water or sewer hooked up, I do have electric for lights and the furnace blower. The beauty of all this is that the tt sits in a nice open field, so we dont even have to hitch up and move it anywhere. I do have a dump truck on one side of us and I loader on the other, but who cares? Always wanted to try it. If tonight doesnt work out, (too short of notice) I will def be trying this before winter is over. Will keep you all posted. I'll try to post up some pics when we do this as well.

:cool: 2013 F150 STX Super Cab With Factory Tow Package, Inegrated Trailer Brake Control, 5.0 Liter with 3.55 Gears and Posi Traction :cool:
villain2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:42 PM   #2
Site Team

You might try a small electric space heater to supplement your furnace and give the propane a break. I ran one with it down to 24 degrees and the furnace never came on all night, temp in the trailer was around 70. The one I have has 2 heat settings, 750 and 1500 watts and a thermostat. About 20 bucks at Lowes. Walmart has them too. -Lee
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:29 PM   #3

Good advice. Why use up the propane, right?

:cool: 2013 F150 STX Super Cab With Factory Tow Package, Inegrated Trailer Brake Control, 5.0 Liter with 3.55 Gears and Posi Traction :cool:
Old 01-09-2011, 04:20 AM   #4

The advantage of full timing is that I camp in the winter too. It is currently 27 degrees here with forecast for snow and ice starting about noon today.
I am snug as a bug in a rug in my Designer. Plenty of propane and a full gas tank for my generator in case the power goes off.
Bring it on. I'm ready.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:25 AM   #5

We have winter camped at our local State Park Scusset Beach, Cape Cod. We are able to hook up to electric. We watch the forecast for days when it will be in the sixties. Last winter we had 3 days in February and 2 in March At night the furnace and two dogs keep us warm. At home the RV is on it's pad (see pictures in album) on the side of our house. The view from the large windows is the woods which surround our property. Have not slept in it in the yard, but have day camped in the winter while cleaning and packing for a trip. The dogs love to spend the day out there. It is our 'Man Cave".
Mike and Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Rose View Post
We have winter camped at our local State Park Scusset Beach, Cape Cod. We are able to hook up to electric. We watch the forecast for days when it will be in the sixties. Last winter we had 3 days in February and 2 in March At night the furnace and two dogs keep us warm. At home the RV is on it's pad (see pictures in album) on the side of our house. The view from the large windows is the woods which surround our property. Have not slept in it in the yard, but have day camped in the winter while cleaning and packing for a trip. The dogs love to spend the day out there. It is our 'Man Cave".
Then I don't feel so bad for hanging around mine in the middle of winter sometime just out out and sit in the easy chair...

I'm really tempted to do a over night in mine just to say I did it... But after doing work in it warming it up with the furance it doesn't take but a few hours for the interior temp to fall to what it is outside. So yea I vote for a second electric heater because you'll listen to the furnace most of the night.
Mopar1973Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:24 AM   #7

we bought a Vornado heater a few years ago and it works very well.... have camped in 40 deg weather in a Greyhawk MH with just the Vornado for heat....

Joe
SMI Stay-IN-Play DUO
JaycoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:28 PM   #8

I do have a small ceramic heater that I always keep in the tt. I'm sure its not enough to heat the tt on its own, but it may allow the furncae to shut off every now and again. Need to do this. Getting the itch....

Old 01-10-2011, 12:20 AM   #9

We have a two panel Kozy World propane heater with a thermostat. It dosn't have a fan so it is real quiet and our furnace NEVER comes on. We also carry a small electric heater.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote