Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-29-2016, 06:20 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHolt View Post
What is an "Instant Pot?" And is it legal outside of Colorado??
It's a electric pressure cooker and reduces cook times exponentially with great results. You can cook a pot roast in less than an hour. I have a 6qt, but they vary in options and size.

Check out Amazon reviews. https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-I...ds=instant+pot

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 06:26 PM   #22
Site Team

We usually grab a rotisserie chicken prior to leaving and use it for sliced sandwiches, tacos, chicken salad or anything that calls for cooked chicken.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:54 PM   #23

Keep a bag full of those single serve condiment packets from fast food places.
Ketchup, Mayo, Hot Sauce, Mustard, Soy Sauce, relish, salt, pepper, BBQ sauce, honey...there are a zillion different kinds out there. I don't even think they ever expire..but I don't think I would keep them longer than a year. Keep them in a zip lock bag.
Old 09-30-2016, 04:40 AM   #24
Site Team

We carry a small toaster oven for those times when we have power, it sits outside on a small table and can be used like a oven for warming and cooking things.

Bake some fresh cookies and see and hear the comments!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:53 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
It's a electric pressure cooker and reduces cook times exponentially with great results. You can cook a pot roast in less than an hour. I have a 6qt, but they vary in options and size.

Check out Amazon reviews. https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-I...ds=instant+pot
What kind of power does it draw? Can you run it and your AC while boon docking?
Old 10-03-2016, 10:32 AM   #26

Says 1000W for the 6L version. Never did it while boon docking as use my DO with charcoal instead.

It is the same as a microwave though based on Watts and should be fine. The only issue is keeping things warm as you will need to have power if you intend to leave it on. If you use it to cook then eat, no issues.

20 minutes for most dishes that would take 1.5 hrs or more.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:57 PM   #27

Cool Make aheads

I love the precooked bacon I buy at Costco. We have used it for years.

I like to freeze flank steaks with marinade in a freezer zip lock so I can pull one out earlier in the day. Defrosts for grilling or fajitas quickly. I also buy boneless chicken breasts and pound them to 1/2 in thick and freeze individually. Quick defrost and cook with the thinner filet. I make a small meatloaf for two ( do NOT bake first) in a baking pan lined with parchment paper & freeze. Take it out early in the day and bake when defrosted or even still partially defrosted. I make my fave Italian meatballs and freeze them (UNCOOKED) on a sheet pan. Put them in a freezer bag and pull out the desired meatballs and throw them in a simmering sauce. Wonderful for meatball sandwiches or spaghetti and meatballs. One of my fav appetizer do aheads is to make small savory bluecheesecakes in ramekins. Freeze. put them in a zip lock. I pull out one to defrost (sometimes 30 seconds in the micro). Serve with a pepper style jelly over the bluecheescake and a sturdy cracker. Always a hit. I keep a jar of Trader Joe's salted caramel sauce and a jar of their morello cherries in syrup. Heat them and pour over store bought pound cake, angel food cake or ice cream for a nice dessert for company.
Mauigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:34 PM   #28

More kitchen shotcuts

I make my own pancake/waffle mix and premeasure dry ingredients into ziplocks for a batch for two. Add the egg/milk/butter and we have a nice treat for breakfast.
Breakfast burritos are a great quick breakie, especially on a travel day. Scramble an egg, add some cheese, salsa, leftover breakfast meat/slice of bacon and maybe avocado and put it in a warm tortilla. QUICK and yummy!

I did buy a thermal cooker on ebay this year. I only used it twice and ended up gifting it to a tent camper. I just didn't find it that useful when I have a kitchen in my little TT. It would be awesome for folks who do not have a real kitchen when they are camping. Nice for boondocking too.
Mauigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:15 AM   #29

By the sound of things no wonder Americans look the way they do. All blown up. SAD (standard american diet) high in sodium and a list of ingredients no one can pronounce Were are the healthy alternatives? Eat healthy, have more energy, live longer! Try fresh and organic and I will guarantee more vitality and energy.
2016 F-250 gas Super Duty Super Crew 8 ft. box.
jamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:59 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamer View Post
By the sound of things no wonder Americans look the way they do. All blown up. SAD (standard american diet) high in sodium and a list of ingredients no one can pronounce Were are the healthy alternatives? Eat healthy, have more energy, live longer! Try fresh and organic and I will guarantee more vitality and energy.
Where's the fun in that? I'm typically on vacation when we go out in the RV...I'll eat healthy at home.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:10 AM   #31

Good!
2016 F-250 gas Super Duty Super Crew 8 ft. box.
jamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 09:15 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
Where's the fun in that? I'm typically on vacation when we go out in the RV...I'll eat healthy at home.
You beat me to it!

Though, we generally eat healthy, whole foods at home. When we're on vacation, we get a bit lax on stuff like that. We don't go crazy, but we're more likely to eat stuff like hot dogs, chips, cupcakes, etc ... when we're camping than when we're at home. We rarely get any of that stuff at home.

It's vacation, you gotta live a little! Plus, when we're camping, we're constantly doing something. So we're out hiking, or sightseeing, or playing or whatever, burning a lot of calories along the way. Certainly a lot more than we do at home when we're sitting at the office in front of a computer all day long!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 09:45 AM   #33

"Eat healthy, live longer" I can't argue this point but will just give something for thought. My wifes Aunt just turned 100 in January and till very recently lived on her own. Broken hip ended that but she was raised on a farm where they ate lots of salt cured meat, mostly pork. I just finished repairing a friends truck the he uses in his cattle operation. He eats red meat every day and works cattle in summer heat and winters cold. Now he is only 93 so I can't say if he will make 100 or not. I believe the difference in longivity is that these folks could enjoy long life because they worked hard every day. They did not consume green smoothies for breakfast and chia seeds for lunch. Physical exercise is ,IMHO, more important than diet. Ready for the flames.
Lolead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 07:18 AM   #34

We like to do things in our crock pot too. Stew or chicken dishes that we can preassemble the ingredients for in a zip lock, freeze and then throw in the crock in the morning. Plug it in and go have fun for the day. When we get back the camper smells wonderful and we finish cooking the side dishes over the fire or outside to minimize interior clean up. Don't think we have ever used the oven, but I keep threatening to make road kill pizza one night.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:17 AM   #35

I keep a Ninja in the camper and make a shake for breakfast of almond milk, Greek yogurt, and frozen fruit when I feel lazy in the morning or getting up early to go fishing. Otherwise it is bacon & eggs or pancakes and hopefully DH cooks. If it is early for fishing, then it is good healthy fresh fish on the grill, cheese grits and grilled veggies for dinner.

"Let the Reel Cool Times Roll !!!!!
ReelCool is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bacon, cooking, timesavers