Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-13-2014, 05:47 PM   #1

Blackstone Griddle

For those that have room to carry one i highly recommend the 36" Blackstone griddle. We camp alot in big groups and we all set a menu and cook everything up at once. We are on our annual spring break camping trip and counting kids there are 22 of us.
I have been leaning towards getting one for sometime. Last week my wife and i where at Lowes and they had one out on display. We looked it over and liked that it could be folded up. Then the salesman says try it for 90 days if you don't like it just bring it back.
Well needless to say it ain't going back. Lol
This thing is the perfect size for cooking large amounts of food fast. It holds it heat and it evenly distributes it vey nicely. Here are some pictured of this morning breakfast. All done inside of 30 minutes. 4lbs of bacon and 36 pancakes.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394754398.947375.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	11889Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394754415.246758.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	11890
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 04:06 AM   #2

Sounds interesting. I have been looking at Camp Chef products similar to this but just can't bring myself to drop the coin on one at this time. I presume its propane? I'd really like one that could be used as a stand for dutch oven use as well.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:07 AM   #3

French toastClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394809663.248760.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	11893
Old 03-14-2014, 09:51 AM   #4

Good Thread!! I was going to ask if anyone here had one before I ordered mine. I never did ask but did a lot of research before I ordered. The 28" model has a few more uses, but many complain of having hot spots. I ended up going to see one at Cabala's (they had both but only had the 28" set up) and their price was $330 for the 36". I found mine online at www.Meijer.com (there is a sale I think still going on) and ordered it sunday, shipped to my door for $296. I am excited for it to show up (supposed to arrive monday march 17) and put it together and give it a try.
We also usually have large groups while were camping so I figured it would be nice to have to feed a bunch of people and really I wanted it for the annual fishing trip I put together with a bunch of my friends and family.
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:30 AM   #5

Plowtoy you are gonna love it.
When you get it set up just follow the seasoning instructions and you will be good. It really is a nice griddle.
I am now searching for the bag to keep the griddle in when carrying it. The griddle is so heavy that a bag is a must have for easy transportation. Mine will stay set up at our seasonal site and i will just bag the griddle and store it inside the camper when we leave on sunday evening. Hope this helps.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:38 AM   #6

Looks great. Been looking at a camp chef with griddle, but now this has me thinking. One question, has anyone hooked this up to the quick connect on your RV?
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by krackeer View Post
Looks great. Been looking at a camp chef with griddle, but now this has me thinking. One question, has anyone hooked this up to the quick connect on your RV?

I have not. I carry an extra 20lb tank.
Hope this helps.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:56 AM   #8

I just got back from Lowes to actually see one. Certainly heavy duty! I looked and it appears as though it would easily hook up to the quick connect. The Meijer website stated something about weighing 26 pounds, ya right, I think they left the "0" off the end!
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:04 AM   #9

Quote:
I just got back from Lowes to actually see one. Certainly heavy duty! I looked and it appears as though it would easily hook up to the quick connect. The Meijer website stated something about weighing 26 pounds, ya right, I think they left the "0" off the end!

Lol i think you are right on the weight. The griddle is heavy. I think the cart weighs around 26 lbs. hooking it up to the trailer would be sweet. I may look into doing that.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:32 PM   #10

I have the 2 burner griddle for the camp chef which weighs in at 59 pounds by itself but it also has heat diffusers mounted on it and comes in slightly under 3/8" thick on cooking surface! I've cooked for 40 on a camping trip with no problem but had to cook everything seprately due to different temps and allergies!
"we do it in black pots"
Ryetye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:29 AM   #11

Quote:
FedEx says it weighs 126 lbs. Most of that is in the cooking surface itself from what I can tell. The 28" at Cabala's had a very heavy top.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:26 PM   #12

my friends have one that we use at Elk camp and on the bottom of the grill top there are two pieces of angle iron that run the width of top they are spot welded to the top well on ours some of the spot welds have broken witch lets the top warp a little when hot its something to watch.
2004 Dodge 2500 CTD
Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:18 AM   #13

Might be a good idea to take it out to the shop when it's new a run a few short beads of 6013 along the stiffeners underneath before you even start using the grill. I've seen a lot of Chinese factory MIG welds that only p en etrated one side of the base metal.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:01 PM   #14

Plowtoy did you get your griddle set up???
Old 03-20-2014, 10:36 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by lx22f/c View Post
Plowtoy did you get your griddle set up???
Yep, I put it together loosely last night. I was right, the griddle top is the heaviest part of the griddle. The gas hose was damaged from being folded up too tight so I have to call and get a replacement coming before I dare fire it up. Other than that it seems pretty nice. A lot of reviews said that they wern't packaged very well, but I thought it was done neatly other than the hose.
The only thing I found is if you put the bottom support for the tank on, the legs wont fold up correctly. So I think I am going to leave that part off. I also ordered the carry bag from Meijer.com last night. Shipped to my door just under $33. on sale through 3-22-14 (i think the griddle is still on sale too) Hopefully the bag will actually work. I dont intend on leaving it set up for long periods of time, but who knows, maybe I will like it so much it will be used at home more than I think.
THANKS FOR ASKING!!
Old 03-20-2014, 11:53 AM   #16

Plowtoy i almost said something about the tank holder. I just installed the top one and hung the tank on that. I had no problems with doing that. A shame that you have to wait on the hose. I think you are going to use it more than you think. Lol
Good luck and Happy Griddling.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:14 AM   #17

So I called the customer service number to get a new hose and got a message from the phone company that the number had changed or been disconnected So I then sent an email to the customer service email and have not heard back. I have read reviews how the customer service is supposed to be really good, so hopefully its just a fluke, but makes me a little nervous...
Old 03-22-2014, 06:55 AM   #18

Hope you get it resolved. Just ordered the bag from meijer.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:02 AM   #19

I couldn't wait I cooked breakfast for dinner last night on the new griddle. I took my chances with the gas line and fired it up anyway (I still have not heard back from Cache Sales, the manufacture). I did the initial burn and clean. Then used some vegetable shortening as directed to start the seasoning process. Over all it cooked great and I'm really happy with it. The pancakes could have turned out a little better. I used some "just add water" type mix for mine which stuck, and my wife made some gluten free mix for her's, but those turned out o.k. Cooked a couple eggs, bacon and some sausage links in no time at all.
The only negitive thing I can see (my wife noticed it) is that by the time you get the cook top cleaned after cooking, the cooks food is cold. Thats ok, I still enjoyed it!
Old 03-24-2014, 02:38 PM   #20

Plowtoy eat first clean later. Lol
After the initial burn off and cleaning i just use Pam non stick spray. I bought a 12 inch drywall scraper and use that to scrape everything down then wipe with terry cloth. Coat it with Pam and cover it up. I had no problems for 7 days of use. Robert