Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-10-2014, 08:59 PM   #1

Coleman road trip bbq

Anyone using this and able to tell me the dimensions when it's all folded up?? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Skaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:47 PM   #2

Sorry, I had one. Used it twice, hated it so much i got rid of it. I'd caution you to think twice if you haven't seen one. I couldn't keep from spilling the water.
BeachRetreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachRetreat View Post
Sorry, I had one. Used it twice, hated it so much i got rid of it. I'd caution you to think twice if you haven't seen one. I couldn't keep from spilling the water.
Could have fooled me I think it looks great from that picture and I would have ordered one and I'm not even looking for a grill.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:04 PM   #4

We traded up to the red LXE. It cooks well and cleans up easier IMHO.

BeachRetreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachRetreat View Post
Weird. It has really good consumer reviews, better than some reviews on the webers. What did you hate about it? Thanks for your input.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:18 AM   #6

I too hated the Coleman Roadtrip.

Why--

- impossible to keep clean
- very little headspace between grill/griddle and top of lid. Basically you had too cook with the lid open, which became problematic for certain foods.
- the slightest of wind caused serious heat loss and uneven heat.
- lots of pieces, had milk crate of greasy griddles, grates, hoses.

I am grill/bbq guy. At this time I have 7 differs bbq/grills/smoker and this one just didn't work how I wanted it too. I wanted a gas grill to keep in the TT at all times. Between not being able to clean it and all the pieces it had to go.

Replaced it with a Weber Q200. I don't have the griddle accesories, but use a cast iron pan on the grates which works well for me.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 01:03 AM   #7

I was looking at the Weber, then came across this one, so I thought I'd ask on here. good to know about the clearance between the lid and grill, that's the issue i am having with my current one.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:15 AM   #8

Coleman states that its not designed to cook with the top down.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:56 AM   #9

We have the Roadtrip and it fits nicely in the front storage area in our TT however the points Clubhouse made are valid ones.We've found that lining the bottom inside of this grill around the burners etc..with aluminum foil catches the grease and makes it easy to clean by just removing the foil when done. All in all we like it for grilling some stuff like burgers and dogs and using the griddle for frying peppers,onions,bacon and eggs but for steak,chicken etc... the Weber is the way to go.

Adk Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 06:31 AM   #10

I love my Coleman grill. Its a slightly different model from whats pictured above. It does exactly what I was hoping it would do.
micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:05 AM   #11

What do you want to do with it? If stricktly grill I would push you towards a Webber Q. They make a great product. My home gas grill is 14yrs old and still going strong with $75.00 in parts over that time.

I had the LXE and while it was good, wind was an issue. Also you could not close the top on larger items and the BTU's on the low pressure hose were to be desired. I did not hate it, just was not my favorite equipment. Cleaning was fairly easy, but the chrome pan started to rust in 2 years.

Closed in the storage bag it was about 30 inches long x 12 inches high and 18 wide. The Webbers are more compact, but taller overall in height.

Now if you want to have a expandable outdoor cooking area then the Coleman will allow for a griddle, pot cooking and grilling of which you can do 2 at the same time. Webber will be limited to griddle or grill.

Currently I have a Camp Chef Big Gas grill and I love it! Choices are many and I would just examine what and how you want to use it before buying.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:19 AM   #12

I just can't bring myself to cook on a gas grill. For me, it's charcoal or the fire pit.
My grill of choice is a Weber Smokey Joe although they have an 18" version that is tempting since I have run out of room on the SJ before.
E rated Michelin LTX M/S2s

"No matter where you go, there you are"
-Buckaroo Bansai
frieed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:37 AM   #13

Have owned the red one for 4+ years and it has performed as intended. Bought it because it is easy to store in the front storage compartment of my TT. I am only cooking for 2 so it's capacity has never been an issue. Wind can be an issue but it is with most grills. Closing the lid is a problem with full sized skilet or tall pan but you can partially close it over a skilet to retain heat.

I use oven cleaner and a pressure washer after each long term roadtrip to clean it up. Set it up to dry out and then stow it away for the next trip. Considered adding a hose extension so I could conect to a larger tank, but my experience is that I can get 3 or 4 good uses out of a green bottle. Have found this grill to be high quality, reliable, and over all a very good camping grill.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 02:37 PM   #14

We have the blue one and have used it for about eight years without any problems.I use a lot in the winter when I am out hunting for the day,set it on my tailgate to fix a hot lunch.Like was said earlier I line mine with foil for easy clean up.
calwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:53 AM   #15

My folks and sister and BIL both have one. Nither one like them and needless to say, if were not cooking on the Blackstone Griddle I have, we are using my cheepie store brand gas grill which cooks awesome

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote