Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-16-2012, 09:22 PM   #21

I love my cast iron. Even cook with it at home. Nothing better than making fresh fry bread in the skillet. Yum Yum.

I do clean mine with soap and have no issues. But I immediately dry them and then put a fresh coat of olive oil on them. So if I'm doing something wrong, I don't know it. I won't always clean the pan if I've just used them for pancakes or something that I can just wipe out. But otherwise just use a dab of soap and a scrubber and I'm set.

2008 CHEV SILVERADO Crew Cab LT
2012 Jayco X18D
PhxKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:25 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfarmall View Post
I'm the hubby and I do ALL the cooking and most of the cleanup when camping. To me, camp food is all part of the experience and I like to cook outdoors...on the cast iron of course.
I think I love you. Don't tell my hubby.

2012 Jayco X18D
Old 03-17-2012, 04:14 AM   #23

I don't even store my CI cookware in the same cabinet as the soap!!! Yes, it took my wife a bit of training to forego the soap and water but she's a quick learner. She's all about anything that she doesn't have to clean!!!!
Old 03-17-2012, 09:10 AM   #24

I enjoyed this thread! We generally don't pre-prepare meals, but we do plan most meals beforehand and pack accordingly. Both DW and I are happiest in the kitchen or out camping, and both of us chip-in, so don't find scratch-cooking a chore. Love using CI - open fire, on the BBQ (I cook bacon or freshly caught fish in the CI pan outside on the BBQ) - have even buried it with hot coals on the beach for slow-cooking (kinda worked). Camping is supposed to be more "fun" than "work", and sometimes we have to remind ourselves to step back from routine and change things up a bit - and if that means eating a bit less-healthy than at home, oh-well!

2010 JayFeather 23K
05 GMC Envoy XL
McMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:43 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quahog View Post
Cast iron is about the best thing I've ever found to cook in. It just holds the heat so well. And if you season it properly and keep it clean (no soap), it will last forever.
I agree! I becamed enamored with cast iron when I learned my grandma's skillet was 50 yrs old! She received it as a wedding present and used it beyond that, until she could no longer lift it. I would of loved to acquired that from her. I use skillets, a long griddle, and 7 qt. dutch oven on our trips.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:15 AM   #26

If you can believe it, I even have a cast iron wok. :japanese:

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:05 AM   #27

I think you win!
Dave
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:06 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quahog View Post
If you can believe it, I even have a cast iron wok. :japanese:
I do too!! Le Creuset, but never thought to bring camping. I worry that I'll get made fun of for bringing a Crockpot camping, let alone a wok!
Old 03-18-2012, 08:09 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinKim View Post
I do too!! Le Creuset, but never thought to bring camping. I worry that I'll get made fun of for bringing a Crockpot camping, let alone a wok!
Um, if you bring a French wok camping, I think you probably should be teased. But I do have a small Le Crueset casserole pan that is perfect for my little oven so I can not talk. I'm usually the one getting teased about my ridiculous Chemex coffee maker....

I actually feel that way about a generator. But I'm starting to feel the need for one of those quiet Hondas....Lord help me!

2012 Jayco X18D
Old 03-19-2012, 06:08 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinKim View Post
When you're stir frying your favorites and they're eating hot dogs, I bet they won't be laughing too loud.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:17 PM   #31
Site Team

I do a blend. I freeze some foods in case the weather is bad and I plan foods for grilling if it's nice. I prep the chickens by trimming the fat and marinating them.

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:02 PM   #32

We like to do everything once we get to where we are going.

Love to do all the cooking when set up....including putting fresh stuff in the crock pot.

Yes we do use a crock pot but really like grilling over a campfire but unfortunately not all CG's that we go to now, because of the size of our new rig, have fire rings.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:58 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackshot View Post
Who needs food? Pack of hot dogs and beer and you are set!
+1
Old 05-24-2012, 07:51 AM   #34

Just finished slow cooking 3 racks of ribs and a chicken. Dry rubbed overnight with my home made dry rub, and slow cooked for 2 1/2 hours. When it's time to eat, they will be warmed on the grill and basted with home made glaze. It's much easier to clean up afterwards doing it this way.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:35 AM   #35

I even go as far as pre cooking my thick bacon so I don't have a greasy stove top when I'm done. Just a quick warm up and boom we're eating!
pervinpatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:23 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxKim View Post
Since we've been camping in a trailer (all of six months), I've been preparing my foods while at home and freezing them for the trip. I make beef stew and freeze it flat, cornbread, etc. I even make homemade chicken pot pies (cooked) and then freeze. Sausage gravy. Puff pastry braided egg casserole. French toast casserole. Chili. So then when it comes time to eat, I just pop it into the oven or my cast iron pot to heat up. Then I toss the disposable aluminum pan or plastic baggie for easy clean up.

So this last trip my husband said, "Relax. Take it easy. Just make hamburgers and hot dogs and what not." I even bought pre-made patties (beef and turkey) from Trader Joe's and all kinds of gourmet sausages, aka hot dogs. I forgot to pick up my grass-fed hot dogs from TJ and won't buy any other type.

Well, I spent the entire weekend either at the grill, at the sink or going back and forth to bring out every kind of condiment in the world for the burgers.

While I don't mind the occasional time on the grill for some yummy teriyaki, organic, free-range TJ chicken legs, this was a bit much. Plus my husband doesn't do any cooking, clean up or know where anything is to help. So I'm thinking that it makes much more sense and helps me enjoy my camping weekends so much more when I prepare food ahead of time.

ALSO - if you can't tell, I make food from scratch using organic ingredients so easy fixes like pre-made meals or boxed foods won't work for me. We eat healthy but we're poor so I end up making most of our food from raw ingredients like they did about 50 years ago. I literally grind my own wheat from berries in my Vitamix and make my own butter from raw cream.

So I'm just wondering if you find it easier to make food ahead of time or how do you minimize your work time out camping? I DON'T want to spend my time on food prep/clean up when camping. I need some ME time!

Warmly, Kim
Take it easy? I think not, at least not for you! When our kids were little, I used to plan my meals as you do and it made life easier. Now that we are empty-nesters, going on 6 years now, we don't do all that prior prepping but I do think it makes life easier and simpler.
Stargazerandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:48 AM   #37

Coming from a canoe camping background where you have to portage ( ie carry everything over land from 300 feet to two miles) I have gotten good at dehydrating foods. We have never taken a cooler. So our little refrigerator is going to be a treat.

I make extra spaghetti sauce and dehydrate that. Chili, dehydrate that I have some very good things that depend on dry goods from the grocery store and the addition perhaps of a little protein. Anything that is leftover from a casserole gets dehydrated.

I keep the dehydrated stuff in Food Saver Vacuum bags

Salmon and alfredo sauce and dehydrated veggies are really good. I can use fresh or canned or smoked.
I have a backpackers oven ( there is no oven in our TT) so I use what is known as an Outback Oven with a backpacking stove. Outside.. to bake brownies and cakes and cormbread.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 12:09 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
Coming from a canoe camping background where you have to portage ( ie carry everything over land from 300 feet to two miles) I have gotten good at dehydrating foods. We have never taken a cooler. So our little refrigerator is going to be a treat.

I make extra spaghetti sauce and dehydrate that. Chili, dehydrate that I have some very good things that depend on dry goods from the grocery store and the addition perhaps of a little protein. Anything that is leftover from a casserole gets dehydrated.

I keep the dehydrated stuff in Food Saver Vacuum bags

Salmon and alfredo sauce and dehydrated veggies are really good. I can use fresh or canned or smoked.
I have a backpackers oven ( there is no oven in our TT) so I use what is known as an Outback Oven with a backpacking stove. Outside.. to bake brownies and cakes and cornbread.
Any recommendation on which dry food brand is best?
Stargazerandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 01:03 PM   #39

It just depends on who I am with. If I want to spend more time with my guests, then I prepare meals at home, vacuum seal, and freeze.

This allows me to just boil some water and not worry about burning anything and no dishes.

I did this a lot more when tent camping then when in the TT but having gourmet quality meals is a real treat when on the road and you would rather spend time with your friends than in the kitchen.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 01:43 PM   #40
Site Team

We often take frozen homemade soup and chili with us. We buy fresh meats and veggies at farmers markets. Seems like the older we get, the less we prepare ahead of time. I always fry up a lb. of bacon at a time outside.

It all depends on your current lifestyle also.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote