Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-02-2015, 07:47 PM   #1

Dutch Oven Camp Cook Table

Does anyone have experience with a camp cook table for use with Dutch ovens?

Thanks.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:48 PM   #2

Yep. We have the one made by Lodge. VERY well made... heavy as all get out. Have actually found that we don't use it very often unless we're cooking w/ more than one D/O.

2012 F-250 FX4 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel Lariat
2011 Jayco 365BHS 5'er

"Cram-A-Lot Inn"

J.Lockhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:05 AM   #3

Have not, but due to all the "other" stuff I just can't afford the weight. I have gone to the Camp Chef DO Tent and with good results. Takes a little getting use to, but now know what not to do. Great part is no charcoal. My next addition will be the Camp Chef DO stand which is a good way to use Charcoal low to the ground, but off and keep my grill clear. I intend to wrap 2 pieces of Luan with aluminum flashing and a hinge for a wind screen.
The CG's with built in Charcoal grills are always my table when available.

My DO gets used every trip short or long, sometimes 2X a day.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:44 AM   #4

I love my dutch ovens! I have a 12" and 14". I bake in one and cook in the other. A few years ago I found some galvanized feed pans at the local farm supply store. They are about 16" in diameter and about 4" deep. I put the charcoal on the bottom and then put the dutch oven over the coals. The sides act as a wind screen for the bottom and evenly funnel the heat upwards around the oven. And if the ground is damp, the pan is a great barrier - prevents the coals from being cooled/extinguished by dampness. And they are light weight.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSSELL5000 View Post
Does anyone have experience with a camp cook table for use with Dutch ovens?

Thanks.

I will preface this by saying that, no, I don't have any experience with DO cook tables, although we always cook in our DO when we go camping. The cook tables put the DOs up at a height that is more convenient for cooking and offer some shielding from the wind. I don't see much advantage other than that, and as others have said, they are very heavy.

We solved the wind and the wet ground problem with a much more simple and lightweight solution, and by using something we take along on each camping trip anyway. We have a 10 inch 4 quart DO (there are just two of us to feed) and it fits perfectly inside a Weber Smokey Joe grill. The bottom coals go on the coal rack of the grill, the DO sits on the coal rack (make sure the legs set on the grate) and the top coals go on the DO lid. It keeps the DO off the ground, keeps the coals off the ground and makes cleanup very easy, it shelters the coals and DO from the wind. If it is real windy, you can even put the Smokey Joe lid on the whole thing and just open the vents. It also allows us to use the campfire ring for a fire while the DO is busy cooking nearby.

If you have a larger DO, you could use a Weber Jumbo Joe.

This is not my photo (just got it from google image) but it illustrates the concept:
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:45 AM   #6

Thanks guys. We use DO as well as Lodge charcoal grill.

I just ordered the Lodge table - ground is too far down for me. I think I will also get some of those galvanized pans - will make clean-up much easier. Good idea!

Each to his own, but my choice is DO and charcoal grill.

Thanks!!
Old 07-22-2015, 08:57 PM   #7

I have used the table for a few years including some scouting events. It is heavy but for me makes a world of difference. It's particularly nice when you have more than one oven going or are cooking for an extended period and need a good place to keep your chimney starter stocked with more coals. I find it's close to the perfect height.
Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 11:05 PM   #8

I've used the Camp Chef table for years. Love it. Legs detach, toss it in the back of the truck. Works great.

-2004 Nissan Titan w/Equal-i-zer hitch
-2014 Jayco White Hawk 24 RBS
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 05:45 PM   #9

I'd go with the camp chef table if buying I've had 3 warp on me due to excessive use according to lodge! I use it for three meals and dessert and do demos for the state parks as well as teach classes to different groups! Total in the idos chapter I belong to we've been through a bought 8 lodge tables in 3 years and at the price lodge wants for a Chinese made product I'd go with camp chef if I had to buy another! Right now I use a 1/4 plate steel that fits 4 Dutch ovens before stacking and don't have to worry about warping!
"we do it in black pots"
Ryetye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 06:20 PM   #10
Site Team

A friend of mine cut the bottom third out of a 55 gallon barrel and uses that as his DO stand. He cut half the side out of another third of the barrel to make a wind screen. All edges were rolled over to eliminate sharp edges. I`ve seen him stack 3 DO`s on this rig with good results. Put the barrel in the truck and turn it over and things can be stored in it.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 04:47 PM   #11

I use a steel oil drain pan, it works great, cheep, but it does sit on the ground

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 06:13 PM   #12

I use an old aluminum sheet pan I got from the dining hall kitchen at Boy Scout Camp. Works great and takes up very little space in storage.

TNCraig is offline   Reply With Quote