Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-10-2017, 10:06 AM   #1

Easy way to clean grates

First this is not my idea - I read of it, tried it, and give it my seal of approval. YMMV.

I use my propane Weber several times per week, generally very hot searing/ cooking things with sauces (BBQ?). The nature of my style often leaves a hard build up of cooked on crud.

I've spent untold amount of energy scraping/ chipping away on them; otherwise the open areas close up and then the flame runs out of oxygen (a necessary component of fire). Then I read of an easy solution: Place the grate into your home oven and set it to the clean cycle.

Last evening I gave my primary grate a quick scraping and then followed the directions. My oven clean cycle runs three hours on then another full hour cooling down. At the end of it I removed the still too hot to touch grate. It was all ashen gray.

Once cool enough to touch I placed it in the sink to rinse it off and oh-boy, it was nearly spotless. The few remaining "chips" were loose and hosed off. The next morning I found a couple of additional chips but they flecked off with a simple probing.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:11 AM   #2

On to step two, seasoning the grate. Another article suggested (once clean) rubbing it with cooking oil (I used a cooking type of paint brush) then baking it in the oven at 450* for 30 min. As they implied three applications work better than one that's what I did.

I don't remember them suggesting doing this to both sides - but I did just to be complete. It sure is shiney now and hopefully it'll last a lifetime (not likely).

One big tip, I'm sure glad momma was away as I made quite a mess. Next time I'll do this oiling over butcher paper and line the oven floor with tin-foil.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:59 AM   #3

I always cleaned the grate and interior of my propane grills by just turning the flames up full blast for a while after I finished cooking and removed the food. Before everything completely cooled off, I just took a wire brush to the grate while still in place, then, once everything had cooled down to just warm, I removed the grate and wiped out the interior with a damp paper towel (I like the blue paper shop towels for that). If the grill had a window, I wiped the inside of the window off with a slightly damp paper towel before turning the grill into a blast furnace.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:08 PM   #4

For many years that's how I "cleaned mine" - but it's also how I wound up with lots of extra hard crusts developing.

My grill thermometer indicates the heat tops out at 420-425* whereas my oven exceeds 500*; maybe that's the difference? Or maybe it was the 4 hour cycle?

I'll still preheat to those temps (principally to sterilize the grill) but when it calls for better cleaning it will now go to the oven.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
I always cleaned the grate and interior of my propane grills by just turning the flames up full blast for a while after I finished cooking and removed the food. Before everything completely cooled off, I just took a wire brush to the grate while still in place, then, once everything had cooled down to just warm, I removed the grate and wiped out the interior with a damp paper towel (I like the blue paper shop towels for that). If the grill had a window, I wiped the inside of the window off with a slightly damp paper towel before turning the grill into a blast furnace.
x2
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:15 PM   #6

I use my weber (converted to NG) 2-3x's/week, and just let it heat up for 10 min or so when I'm ready to cook, then scrape the grates with a wire bbq brush from WM, then cook my food, and turn it off. Repeat the next time I cook. I do take the grates out 2 or 3 times a year to clean them good, and to scrape all the grease residue out of the fire box.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 05:33 PM   #7

For those who may have a newer oven in their home with electrical compents.

I had to my main control board and a few other things replaced in my oven. A few months later I had the same problem and had to have the same repairs. The second repair man asked if I had used the "Self cleaning" setting. I told him I did. He stated never to use the "self cleaning" cycle. He stated that the temps get so hot they start burning the wires and any electrical components in the oven/stove. That was a few years ago. I have not used the "self cleaning" cycle and have not had a needed repairs.
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
CMSgt USAF (Ret)
"GO BLUE". University of Michigan
Explorer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 11:27 PM   #8

I suppose there may be a difference in ovens (mine is now a 10 year old Kenmore Elite oven) but I've used my oven cleaning cycle at least monthly and it continues to work very well.

And as I said, in my case heating the grill on high hasn't been successful in cleaning off all the baked on crud. This method, for me, has worked. YMMV.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrascal View Post
First this is not my idea - I read of it, tried it, and give it my seal of approval. YMMV.

I use my propane Weber several times per week, generally very hot searing/ cooking things with sauces (BBQ?). The nature of my style often leaves a hard build up of cooked on crud.

I've spent untold amount of energy scraping/ chipping away on them; otherwise the open areas close up and then the flame runs out of oxygen (a necessary component of fire). Then I read of an easy solution: Place the grate into your home oven and set it to the clean cycle.

Last evening I gave my primary grate a quick scraping and then followed the directions. My oven clean cycle runs three hours on then another full hour cooling down. At the end of it I removed the still too hot to touch grate. It was all ashen gray.

Once cool enough to touch I placed it in the sink to rinse it off and oh-boy, it was nearly spotless. The few remaining "chips" were loose and hosed off. The next morning I found a couple of additional chips but they flecked off with a simple probing.

This method is what I use to restore old cast iron pans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 07:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
This method is what I use to restore old cast iron pans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup, me too. Something else that works is tossing them into a nice hot campfire (works for cast iron pans at least).
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 07:08 AM   #11

I just restored my Webber grill and easy off oven cleaner is very effective at removing the built up carbon. Wire brush, razor blade and scraper all work very well.

My SS grates were rusted out and replaced them for the first time with the enameled cast iron set. This is my 3rd set in 15 years and the best I have owned to keep clean to date. Season with some oil and brush clean after cooking and so far they are pretty clean. They also cook very well, vs SS or the steel that came with them.

I do use the oven cleaning method for my sheet pans though and it is effective for sure.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer03 View Post
For those who may have a newer oven in their home with electrical compents.

I had to my main control board and a few other things replaced in my oven. A few months later I had the same problem and had to have the same repairs. The second repair man asked if I had used the "Self cleaning" setting. I told him I did. He stated never to use the "self cleaning" cycle. He stated that the temps get so hot they start burning the wires and any electrical components in the oven/stove. That was a few years ago. I have not used the "self cleaning" cycle and have not had a needed repairs.
That's just poor design. Wasn't brand named Jayco was it?

My trick for grills is a bit different. If it isn't completely carbonized on, I put them just offshore in shallow water in the lake. By morning the little fishies have scoured the grills clean.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:34 AM   #13

Had an "old-timer" share this method with me, and I didn't believe it, until I tried it....

Spray your grills with oven cleaner, then place them on grass overnight. Don't ask me the science behind how/why this works, but something about the grass, the cleaner, and the morning dew, and they are MUCH easier to clean. I rinse them well, then just a little elbow grease gets them clean.

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 10:07 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
That's just poor design. Wasn't brand named Jayco was it?

My trick for grills is a bit different. If it isn't completely carbonized on, I put them just offshore in shallow water in the lake. By morning the little fishies have scoured the grills clean.
Do you camp on the banks of the Amazon River in Brazil...and are those little fishies Piranha?
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:35 PM   #15

I've often used oven cleaner spray and it does a fair job inside the fire bucket but it didn't do much for my built up crud on the grates.

In fairness, I've never tried it in the grass; with this new option I likely won't be trying it.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:52 PM   #16

Yesterday I decided it was time to replace the burner on the same grill; while 100% physically solid many of the gas openings were clogged up. In the past I've run a pin thru them and had fairly good success - but the last time I did this it felt like there was debris on the inside of the burner.

Then I decided if I was gonna toss it anyways why not try the previously explained procedure, the Oven Cleaner method. Once completely cooked/ cooled off I flushed water thru the tube, reinstalled it and lite the fire. It took awhile for the heat to dry it completely out but eventually all the burner holes had flame. So while not 100% sure it'd work in every case I believe it worked for me. YMMV.

I cancelled my burner order.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:09 PM   #17

I used a fine wire brush, oven cleaner and brillo to get my gas tubes back up to snuff. If it's less than 10 years old Webber will send you a new set FOC under warranty. I got my last set that way.

6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
Old 05-17-2017, 07:31 PM   #18

What is "FOC under warranty"? And does it cover my problem - clogged holes? The tube itself was solid - in my opinion there was no problem with its quality - rather user error by allowing juices/sauces to leak thru the grates and harden.

I've previously scraped it, steel wool'd it, and once gently used a file; oh yes it also has been hit with oven cleaner. I can free up the exterior but "inside" the holes get plugged/ need to be poked thru. As they were getting difficult to breach I decided to replace it.

Then Plan B was tried, and so far so good.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:36 AM   #19

No pictures required, tell them the are failing. "FOC" Free of Charge.

The tubes come out pretty simply once you get the manifold off. Then all the debris will fall right out the big gas line in side. Mine is a 4 tube setup with 3 being the main and one smaller one being the tie line.

6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
Old 07-08-2017, 07:32 AM   #20

Put tin foil over top of the grates and turn bbq up to high and let it burn for a while. It cuts the area you are trying to heat in half and also helps clean the fire box portion of the bbq. It has always worked well for me. CHEERS!
Cranetech is offline   Reply With Quote