Originally Posted by mike837go
I'll put up a bit of an argument here. Soaking the grounds in the mug with a metal filter produces a different brew than water passing through the grounds and then reacting with the paper filter.
The paper reacts (neutralizes) some of the acids in the coffee. Producing a sweeter brew.
I agree. I use a Melitta Pour Over with a paper filter. I can't imagine an easier to make, easier to clean, more green way, to get a great cup of coffee.
But coffee, like beer, elicits some strong opinions from some people on what's good and what's not.
Sure, I grew up on Maxwell House *boiling* all day.
It tasted like battery acid.
It cleaned metal like battery acid
And we were perversely proud of just how bad it was.
I got exposed to good coffee in the mid 80's when I visited a Peets in Berkeley. My eyes were opened.