Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-02-2017, 06:58 PM   #381

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin4Fun View Post
I hope not to offend, but I just cannot do the Krueig thing anymore. It harbors bacteria and is impossible to clean. We use a kettle and make pour-over coffee. It makes superior coffe and is especially good with filtered water. You only need a coffee cone and boiling water!

This is what we use:
https://amazon.com/gp/product/B01MR4...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Can't beat the taste!
I kinda of agree with you on the Keurig with regards to bacteria. I take ours apart (completely) every 6 months. You'd be amazed what is in there. It takes about 30-40 minutes to take it completely apart and clean.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:29 PM   #382

Place Coffee pot along side the campfire. When the water gets hot, put in the coffee grounds. Let it simmer, pour in some cold water to get the grounds to settle to the bottom. Great coffee. Dont drink the last cup or so as that is where all the grounds are.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:52 PM   #383

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin4Fun View Post
I hope not to offend, but I just cannot do the Krueig thing anymore. It harbors bacteria and is impossible to clean. We use a kettle and make pour-over coffee. It makes superior coffe and is especially good with filtered water. You only need a coffee cone and boiling water!

This is what we use:
https://amazon.com/gp/product/B01MR4...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Can't beat the taste!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
I kinda of agree with you on the Keurig with regards to bacteria. I take ours apart (completely) every 6 months. You'd be amazed what is in there. It takes about 30-40 minutes to take it completely apart and clean.
Even if you run vinegar through it? We run a strong vinegar solution through it about every 2 months? We tried taking it apart last time it got clogged up and had a heck of a time. Not that we couldn't do it, but we don't keep coffee grounds around any more so it is our only means for making a cup, so we didn't want to get too crazy with it and not be able to put it back together and get it working again. That would've caused some "more-than-minor" problems!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 02:05 PM   #384

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Even if you run vinegar through it? We run a strong vinegar solution through it about every 2 months? We tried taking it apart last time it got clogged up and had a heck of a time. Not that we couldn't do it, but we don't keep coffee grounds around any more so it is our only means for making a cup, so we didn't want to get too crazy with it and not be able to put it back together and get it working again. That would've caused some "more-than-minor" problems!

I run vinegar/water (50/50 mix) thru mine every 30-45 days. After 6 months the guts of the Keurig still get pretty gross. Sometimes I wish I had never taken it apart to look...sometimes ignorance is bliss!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2017, 02:22 PM   #385

I find for me a french press works great while camping, makes six cups of great coffee in a few minutes, easy to clean and store.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 02:35 PM   #386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
I run vinegar/water (50/50 mix) thru mine every 30-45 days. After 6 months the guts of the Keurig still get pretty gross. Sometimes I wish I had never taken it apart to look...sometimes ignorance is bliss!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great. Thanks for feeding my nightmares! Oh well. I guess we'll just let it be until it dies and then go to something better. Too bad, it's just so darn CONVENIENT.

FWIW, I like to use a French Press sometimes (on the rare occasion I have grounds or beans to grind), and I still have my stove top percolator.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 07-12-2017, 02:43 PM   #387

The Keurig is convenient, and makes decent coffee. I use one at home and at work. But for great coffee, in the RV, I too use a Pour Over with Melitta filters.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 02:57 PM   #388

Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxKim View Post
It's not even possible for me to think about going without coffee. Not possible. I've been bringing my espresso maker camping with me over a one burner grill but it's just not enough java. Bought one of those enameled percolators and the darn thing perked coffee all over my Coleman stove last time and made a huge mess. Don't know how much water or coffee to add to it. Thought about bringing my Senseo but not sure when we'll have electricity.

I will have the stove in the camper or the outdoor sidekick grill. When you don't have electricity, how do YOU make coffee? I like it really strong and the idea of the percolator messing up my new stove gives me hives.

Would love to know what YOU do!

Thanks, Kim
Had a Mr. Coffee for ever got tired of having to fire up the genny everyday.Replaced Coleman at least 12 cup over the fire coffee pot.Gotta watch it that puppy too it will boil over too!
Attached Thumbnails
100_0357.1584.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 05:09 PM   #389

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxKim View Post
It's not even possible for me to think about going without coffee. Not possible. I've been bringing my espresso maker camping with me over a one burner grill but it's just not enough java. Bought one of those enameled percolators and the darn thing perked coffee all over my Coleman stove last time and made a huge mess. Don't know how much water or coffee to add to it. Thought about bringing my Senseo but not sure when we'll have electricity.

I will have the stove in the camper or the outdoor sidekick grill. When you don't have electricity, how do YOU make coffee? I like it really strong and the idea of the percolator messing up my new stove gives me hives.

Would love to know what YOU do!

Thanks, Kim
We use a Mr. Coffee drip coffee maker on shore power and basic percolator as a backup for the Zombie Apocalypse!
Old 07-12-2017, 05:11 PM   #390

Once you get your measurements worked out, the pour-over method is very fast and convenient. I just use Folgers. If you ever try it, you will be amazed at how much better the coffee tastes. You get lulled into a false belief that Krueig coffee is "good" after drinking it so much. I just measure out 4 Tsp into the filter and put the water into a gooseneck kettle the night before. Turn it on in the morning. It boils water just as fast as the Krueig heats its water up, but the coffee is WAY better!
Travelin4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 05:16 PM   #391

We use an automatic dip coffee maker with the thermal carafe, no hot plate. Back up is a stove top porcelain percolator

Charlie & Lizzie the Mini Dachshunds
2008 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 RLS
2015 F350 Lariet Crew Cab Long Bed 6.7 Diesel B&W Companion Hitch
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
Witt74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:44 PM   #392

How do you make your coffee?

My wife has a big Keurig at home and a slightly smaller one for camping. I don't drink coffee. I can't stand the smell nor the taste. The great thing is they make hot chocolate cups for them too. So it does double duty for the wife and kids. And like anything you have to clean it for those who mention bacteria...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:01 PM   #393

I use a 1950's electric percolator in the house and in the rv. Best coffee I've ever had!
Campin'_Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:44 PM   #394

Faberware perculator - love it; there are fill lines on the inside. Went to the store to replace my broken one and was in a hurry so grabbed a store worker and asked where to find a perculator. She looked at my weird; got on her radio and I heard her ask "what's a perculator?" to someone!
jonesykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 04:06 PM   #395

If we have AC power hookup, I use electric percolator - quick and simple, and makes good coffee. If not, try a French press. As long as you can heat water to near boil, it makes good coffee. You boil water in a pot or whatever, put the grounds in the French press, pour the hot water on top of the grounds, then after about 4 minutes, press down the handle and you have coffee. Grounds stay under the press.
Chilidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:32 AM   #396

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesykay View Post
Faberware perculator - love it; there are fill lines on the inside. Went to the store to replace my broken one and was in a hurry so grabbed a store worker and asked where to find a perculator. She looked at my weird; got on her radio and I heard her ask "what's a perculator?" to someone!
"Millennial"

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 07-22-2017, 03:24 AM   #397

I take a big pot of water and bring it to a boil, and then throw the coffee grind in the boiling water, let that boil for about two minutes, and after that pour some cold water into the pot so all of the grind drop to the bottom and you have hobo coffee. That's is some of the best coffer around, we do that in the field when I was in the Army.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:59 AM   #398

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
I take a big pot of water and bring it to a boil, and then throw the coffee grind in the boiling water, let that boil for about two minutes, and after that pour some cold water into the pot so all of the grind drop to the bottom and you have hobo coffee. That's is some of the best coffer around, we do that in the field when I was in the Army.
We call that "Cowboy Coffee". From what I understand, it's one of the best ways to make it. I haven't tried it yet... Here's a video:

https://youtu.be/tq7Si7cp2jM

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 07-24-2017, 11:10 AM   #399

Starbucks Instant French Roast - comes in little individual foil tubes, 8 in a box. Dump the coffee in a cup, add water boiled in the microwave, creamer, and in 2 minutes I have coffee that a barista could have served up.
leeinmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 03:33 PM   #400

1. Jetboil for heating the water

2. GSI Outdoors Java Press for brewing

3. Death Wish Valhalla coffee for power

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote