Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-21-2016, 08:08 PM   #1

Pie Iron Recipes / Ideas

So, in another thread I mentioned that my most prized camping accessory is our C. Palmer mountain pie makers, most probably call them or know them as pie irons, and I've even heard them called hobo pie makers.

They come in several different configurations, square, round, double square, rectangle, double hotdog, and I think I've even seen a popcorn maker.

I happen to have C. Palmers heavy duty aluminum non-stick square ones with the crinkle edge seal. C. Palmer has been around for a long time and they are made West Newton, PA. I know that many would prefer the cast iron model that is well seasoned. C. Palmer has both aluminum and cast iron.

For those that use them, you know that the ability to retain heat is fairly important to cooking perfectly golden pies, thus the popularity of cast iron.

At the request of a fellow JOF member, I thought I would share some of the simple things we cook in our pie irons.

We mostly use them for dessert after dinner. We buy large bread that is bigger than the square pie iron so we get a nice seal on the edges. The little bit of bread that sticks outside the iron will burn and easily scrape off before opening the two halves to release the pie. We use softened "real" butter so not to tear the bread when spreading.

We pre-heat the pie irons over the fire to get them good and hot, we lightly spray the inside of pie iron with olive oil PAM (probably overkill), place a piece of buttered bread in one half of the pie iron with the butter side down. Then we fill the inside with pie filling: apple, cherry, blueberry or a combination of them, sprinkle some cinnamon in, place the other piece of bread on top with the butter side out, close the pie iron and cook over a good fire with a nice bed of coals. I tend to cook over the side of the fire next to the hot bed of coals, turning the iron over several times to ensure even cooking on both sides to a dark golden brown and serve! Sometimes we serve with ready whip cream on top [emoji39]

Other things we have made in them are:

s'mores: buttered bread, graham crackers, marshmallows on each side of a chocolate bar or a Reece's peanut butter cup.

Breakfast sandwiches: buttered bread, scrambled eggs, shredded cheese, meat(s)- cooked bacon, sausage or ham. Another sandwich variation is a garden scramble which would include cooked diced vegetables, onions etc served with a salsa on top.

For lunches we might cook up pie iron "grilled" ham and cheese with buttered bread. I like to put a little spicy mustard in with mine.

We've also cooked pizza's in them as well. Again buttered bread, pizza sauce, shredded mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, mushrooms, and any other pizza topping we like. I have heard some people like to use pillsbury dough instead of bread.

So now that I've listed some of our favorite very simple pie iron recipes, lets hear what type of pie iron is your favorite and what your favorite recipes are! Any tips and tricks are also welcome.

Cheers and Happy Cooking!!

Ready... Set...Go! [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015 RAM 3500HD Cummins Turbo Diesel, Tradesman Crew Cab 4WD
Duke_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:46 PM   #2

Sounds like many years of perfecting the art of pie making. In my younger years we used to do the fruit fillings and always enjoyed them. I don't have any good suggestions but here is a twist on the traditional s'mores, start with a sugar cone for ice cream putting a few mini marshmallows in the bottom then top with Nestles chocolate chips. Wrap it in foil leaving extra on the sides so you can skewer it with a hot dog fork and place over a hot fire. We usually find a few rocks to hold them in place while heating since it takes a bit to get everything all melted.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:47 PM   #3

We've used our 'Tonka Toaster' pie irons almost exclusively for deserts with pie filling.

But, we have made grilled cheese in them, too. But go easy on the cheese or they'll leak. We call those 'cheese volcanos.'
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:07 PM   #4

Rome.
We do lots of meals.
The great thing about Pie Irons is that the meal progresses slowly. Not a lot of sit down and gobble it up and be gone. But a lot of casual talk around the fire as each person makes 1 or 2 of the meal in a pie iron.

Our favorite is a leasurely breakfast. The menu is practically unlimited. Breakfast sausage, eggs, bacon pieces, onion, cheese...whatever you want to put in. We almost never use bread, but use the tube crescent roll dough.

We've done mini pizza's too. And of course all sorts of desserts, with cinnamon chips, chocolate chips, fruit filling, etc.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 05:18 AM   #5

I have even done taco's in them. instead of bread you can get the small soft taco shells meat that has been already cooked at home, and load up your toppings inside and cook. They are so good I want one now and its only 7:15 am where I am.

I have also done peanut butter and banana inside and that is really good as well, even threw in a piece of chocolate once and that was good as well. like dewey02 said the menu is unlimited.
2015 F250 Lariat 6.7 diesel
Camping_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:12 AM   #6

WOW! What a bunch of great ideas!! I can't wait for breakfast pies!

My first run of pies didn't go so well. I'm new to this, and I think I made several mistakes. I didn't pre-heat the irons, I used WAY too much butter, my bread was too thin, and I didn't add anything at all to the pie filling (of which I used too much).

My pies came out really buttery (too buttery) and the bread I used didn't hold up to the amount of butter or the amount of filling I used. So I've got some work to do. I can't wait to get out there and perfect my "recipes"!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:31 AM   #7

We have a really old cast iron pie maker of the same manufacturer, it was my grandfathers and was passed to my father and is now passed onto us. They don't make them like they used to!

We usually make pizzas, but sometimes indulge in dessert pies as well. If you're a fan of sauerkraut and german sausage you can precook one and cut it up with some dusseldorf mustard.
Old 04-23-2016, 02:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping_J View Post
I have even done taco's in them. instead of bread you can get the small soft taco shells meat that has been already cooked at home, and load up your toppings inside and cook. They are so good I want one now and its only 7:15 am where I am.

I have also done peanut butter and banana inside and that is really good as well, even threw in a piece of chocolate once and that was good as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax_83 View Post
If you're a fan of sauerkraut and german sausage you can precook one and cut it up with some dusseldorf mustard.

Going to have to try these out!
Old 09-07-2016, 06:45 AM   #9

Bought the CPalmer Cast Iron Pie Makers as recommended by Duke_26. Seasoned them thoroughly (I only cook with Cast Iron so it was a snap) and tested them over the weekend at our Hunting Camp. Opened the first one a little early but still a good Apple 'Pie'. Got much better quickly. By end of weekend we were making all kinds of 'Pies' and 'sandwiches'. Best dessert so far was using Cinnamon Swirl bread with apple pie filling.

Thanks to the JOF members for letting us know of these Pie Irons and all of the recipes. They will be with us in the 5ver on every trip from now on & we will be testing all of the recipes.

015 Ford F250 Lariat SD
2015 Jayco WhiteHawk 27DSRL (Sold)
2017 KZ Durango D281RLT.
RSerendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSerendipity View Post
Bought the CPalmer Cast Iron Pie Makers as recommended by Duke_26. Seasoned them thoroughly (I only cook with Cast Iron so it was a snap) and tested them over the weekend at our Hunting Camp. Opened the first one a little early but still a good Apple 'Pie'. Got much better quickly. By end of weekend we were making all kinds of 'Pies' and 'sandwiches'. Best dessert so far was using Cinnamon Swirl bread with apple pie filling.

Thanks to the JOF members for letting us know of these Pie Irons and all of the recipes. They will be with us in the 5ver on every trip from now on & we will be testing all of the recipes.

Great to hear! Glad you are enjoying them. I will definately have to try the cinnamon swirl bread next time! Sounds scrumptious [emoji39]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-07-2016, 08:51 AM   #11

[QUOTE=Duke_26;446041]Great to hear! Glad you are enjoying them. I will definately have to try the cinnamon swirl bread next time! Sounds scrumptious [emoji39]

One thing since the Swirl bread is not as large, I made sure the Hinge crimp & the side crimps were covered by the bread . But I am sure you would figure that out.

Heading to Maine next week and hope to try out some seafood recipes with the Irons.

015 Ford F250 Lariat SD
2015 Jayco WhiteHawk 27DSRL (Sold)
2017 KZ Durango D281RLT.
RSerendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:59 AM   #12

We make all kinds of things in ours. My DW's favorite is a French toast back. egg coated bread (one side of bread only), then fill with a flavored cream cheese.

Funny thing is, we have not made a true fruit filled pie in ours in 10+ years.

I like the taco idea.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey02 View Post
Rome.
We do lots of meals.
The great thing about Pie Irons is that the meal progresses slowly. Not a lot of sit down and gobble it up and be gone. But a lot of casual talk around the fire as each person makes 1 or 2 of the meal in a pie iron.

Our favorite is a leasurely breakfast. The menu is practically unlimited. Breakfast sausage, eggs, bacon pieces, onion, cheese...whatever you want to put in. We almost never use bread, but use the tube crescent roll dough.

We've done mini pizza's too. And of course all sorts of desserts, with cinnamon chips, chocolate chips, fruit filling, etc.
DOes the crescent roll dough cook throughly?
Moon8211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 11:27 AM   #14

Have any of you tried small potatoes in them? I would think that small potatoes coated in olive oil and seasonings would work. I buy a bag of mixed variety very small potatoes at Sams and we like them roasted.
wed100105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 05:47 PM   #15

The small potatoes should do well. I've done tater tots in ours to go with hot dogs on a fork over the fire. Otherwise we do a lot of pizzas and pies with ours. As someone said earlier, they are great for a leisurely meal with a nice cold one for a chaser.