Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-16-2015, 09:36 AM   #1

Portable Grill use with a 20# portable tank

I have called Coleman and I have called Camping World with zero success and I have stumped them both as well as myself on this one. What bothers me is that it’s a VERY simple issue that I cannot seem to solve.

I bought a portable propane grill for camping, the Coleman Road Trip. Although it’s designed for the 1# “disposable” canisters, we found there was a way to use a 20# tank as well if we purchased a connector hose. Simply screw the canister into the regulator, which screws into the grill and gas is flowing and we’re cooking.

We bought a connector hose for the 20# option, which is appealing to us. The connections are simple threaded connections: tank to hose to regulator. All connections are secure and the manuals say to hand tighten everything. It is a brand new grill, so there are no blockages. Problem is that we have tried THREE different hoses, one of them even is a COLEMAN brand hose to use with the COLEMAN grill. We even took the grill and swapped it out, thinking the regulator may be defective. That didn’t work either...both straight out of the box. There are several reviews online of this product and how “easy” it is to use the hose accessory and that it works great. But I can’t figure out what is going on and why the 20# option doesn’t work.

When we remove the hose and go back to screwing in a 1# canister, it works like a charm again.

The only consistent factors in all this are my tanks. They are all more than 10 years old (Mfg in ‘98, ‘04 and ‘09). All of them can be used successfully with our home grill (which is 6 years old) and a portable outdoor heater (which is 11 years old) we have. Is there some sort of “incompatibility” between a new hose/grill/accessory hose and old tanks that I may not be aware of? I truly am stumped and am desperate for help to a solution. Granted, it’s not the end of the world, but it’s very frustrating. I have always found propane use to be pretty straight forward, screw in the attaching hose and open the valve and go! This...not so much.

Thank you for any information you can help provide!
2012 Jayco JayFlight 26RLS
0000 Children
Only 25 years to retirement!

"If it weren't for the rocks in it's bed, the stream would have no song." ~Carl Perkins
Rockypointers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 10:03 AM   #2

Not sure if this may be the issue, but I have a Coleman propane stove that uses the small screw in tanks. I have two or three of the hoses that I use to go to 20# tank and I have to use pliers to tighten the connection to the stove or the hoses won't work. Bottles are fine just hand tight, but hoses, no. Sounds like you may have the same problem.
ExChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 10:16 AM   #3

We have a TT with the outdoor kitchen that has quick-connects for both the BBQ and cook stove, we're going to hook-up our portable campfire (since many campsites have no fire pits) with a 20' hose and a quick-connect. In planning for this, we "learned" that with portable propane grills and fire pits, remove the appliance's regulator/gauge and connect directly to the RV propane tanks as the ones being sold now are "self-regulated". Don't take my word on it, but Google - that was how I got my information.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:06 AM   #4

Do not remove the regulator when hooking to a separate 20lb tank!!!!

Is it possible that you are opening the valve to quickly on the tank??? Or the possible issue that Ex posted.

Let us know what you figure out!!!

Hattie, that is only when connecting to the rv's already regulated propane hook up. Not a separate 20lb tank one may carry for grill & stoves.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
Hattie, that is only when connecting to the rv's already regulated propane hook up. Not a separate 20lb tank one may carry for grill & stoves.
Agreed - and so noted by referencing it as the RV tank!! However, as also stated - don't take my word, Google for better info.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:17 AM   #6

I'm confused.

If the grill was designed to use the 1# disposable cans, it is a "high-pressure" appliance and expects to be supplied (about 150PSI) propane directly from a tank.

The fitting at the back of an RV is "low-pressure" (technically 11"WC, about one-half of 1PSI). Connecting a high-pressure appliance to a low-pressure line creates a non-working installation. Connecting a low-pressure appliance (gas fridge, water heater, etc.) to a high pressure line creates an extremely dangerous situation!

So you have to MAKE SURE of what you are dealing with BEFORE you start hooking up gas appliances.

I connected a high-pressure portable grill to my old camper by putting a T fitting in-between the tank and the regulator. It worked wonderfully. And I sold the grill & hoses with the old trailer since the new one has the low pressure fitting.

Now, Rockypointers, are you mixing high and low pressure systems?

Let's get you sorted out.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:49 AM   #7

Hummm. I have experienced this issue with one of the Troop’s Colman gas stoves. Not sure if the regulator assembly the same. Between the regulator and the stove, the connecting tube has a Schrader valve, and it was not seating very well. Some people had issues with it and others did not. Ultimately, when you have the #1 tank on the regulator and tube maybe in one position that pushes/press on the Schrader valve differently than when the #20 tank is connected. I would try pushing in the connector tube and tighten it a bit more, without tools.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 11:50 AM   #8

When I first tried using my grill, it didn't work, either. But after looking over the situation closely, I figured out that my hands didn't get the connections properly seated on the tank. So, now I use a 4" crescent wrench to attach it. When I feel resistance, I quit turning. It has worked flawlessly for the past 3 months for me. 4 different campsites in 3 different states, and a total of about 3 weeks (not consecutive) and 2000 miles.
Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote