Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-18-2013, 08:52 AM   #1

Square or Round Pie Irons?

I know it may be silly to ask this question, but I will be purchasing 2 pie irons and have narrowed my choices down to either square or round. Unless someone can convince me otherwise, I have no interest in purchasing the double wide. As far as brand, I am planning on Rome unless someone can recommend another good brand.

I would prefer both to be the same shape, so my question is, for those that have experience using pie irons, which shape do you believe is the best design (square or round) for general everyday foods?
Honda EU2000i Generator
5arnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:13 AM   #2

Ours is round. It is also about 50 years old so it makes perfect pies! We have tried square ones before, but they didn't seem to work as well. We have yet to find a new one that can compare to it. If anyone knows of a modern brand that works really well that you can suggest to 5arnolds, my family would like to get another one. When feeding 15 people, one iron can take a little while.

Number of Nights Camping - 2013 26RKS
2014 - 18, 2013 - 11, 2012 - 11
Number of Nights Camping - 2012 17Z
2012 - 10, 2011 - 13

Countless nights as kids and young adults in a pop-up, hardside TT and several tents!
campingdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:29 AM   #3
Site Team

We have the square ones. Had 'em for over 20 years so I'm not aware they even made round mountain pie irons. The square ones are made to fit sandwich bread in them so there's little or no trimming. To me, the square irons are the "traditional" ones.

Just guessing, but maybe the round ones are more for making hamburgers or something else using a hamburger bun. I have a hard time thinking someone would cook a hamburger while in the bun inside one of those. The end result would be more like a grease burger to me.

We're simple folks. We only make sandwiches in ours. Although, I'm sure there are more uses for the pie irons than just that if you're a serious mountain pie chef.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:36 AM   #4

I have 2, one is a single square, the other is a cast iron double square, I like them both, I went with the double because most times my wife and I are having something together so its easier to cook both at the same time. The cast iron I got at Cabllas in Maine, the single is Alunimum. The cast iron is heavy so I bought this support rods that you push into the ground and it take the weight.

Anyway my chice is the square

Happy pie-ironing

L
firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:57 AM   #5

We get them a dozen at the time from the Minute Pie Mold Company and they are the round, long handled, cast iron ones. Have been using them for over 30 years and never had a problem. Some of the stamped steel ones will burn in spots while not cooking through in others.

Biggest problem is the bread is getting smaller and that might be a problem with some of the molds.

Tracking campgrounds with Ultimate Campground Log
dalenoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPM III View Post
Just guessing, but maybe the round ones are more for making hamburgers or something else using a hamburger bun. I have a hard time thinking someone would cook a hamburger while in the bun inside one of those. The end result would be more like a grease burger to me.
Friends we camp with have cast iron round ones...They use tortillas not regular bread.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:35 PM   #7

We have both square and round, and there are great benefits to both. You can find books that are entirely filled with pie iron recipes, although we don't own one. The point is, there is a lot you can do with a pie iron besides making sandwiches. On 1 of our camping excursions, my wife made homemade pizzas in them over the campfire and it was one of the best personal-sized pizzas I have ever eaten. Either round ones or square ones, just make sure they are pre-seasoned or you season them before use (if you go with cast iron). Lodge Logic is a good brand, as is Camp Chef, and you can never go wrong purchasing the Cabela's brand at Cabela's. Happy Camping!!
pm1stnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:49 PM   #8

We have Cast Iron Round ones from when I was a kid. The got to be 40 plus years old. "pm1stnau", you are absolutely right, the pizza pies over the campfire are incredible. We've donechillie, Scrambled egss & Pie Filling! We've been told that you can do Ice Cream - hmmmm, I guess it comes out like Fried Ice Cream! May have to try that this summer.

2012 Jayco Super Lite 308 RETS
2014 Georgetown 328TSF
2013 Jeep Rubicon w/Mods
308rets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:14 PM   #9

We have a verity of pie irons. Personally my favorite ones are the old round ones. I think they make the best pies. The downfall to the round irons are, they make small pies, so there is not much room for the filling. We have an older rectangular pie iron that is decent to. It is a little smaller than our new rectangular irons. Personally, I think the newer rectangular irons are to big and you cannot make as good of a pie. They do make a good French toast though.

The key to a good pie is to have the edges of the irons to pinch the bread to make a good seal. Our new big irons do not do a good job of this. Take your time in purchasing a set if you never have used one. I bought a few new ones last year, and I had to go through the shelves a few times until I found some that closed really nicely. Many of them we warped and you could clearly tell they would not make a good seal.

Pizza Pies probably our most favorite

Best of Luck

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post

The key to a good pie is to have the edges of the irons to pinch the bread to make a good seal.
This is the best reason to have a round iron. Making a fruit pie and having the edges sealed is the best, we make bacon and egg pies for breakfast the same way. I can see using square ones if the edge sealing is not a big deal to you.
The only brand I will ever buy is "Rome", gotta be cast iron too. The aluminum ones with non stick just burn the bread and make a mess. Need to have even heat I guess.

2015 Starcraft Travel Star 299BHU Black Pearl Edition
2011 Jayco X23J (traded in)
2013 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew 6.2 Max Tow
7700 GVWR 3.73 E-locker
tslarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:12 PM   #11

I have used both for many years, like most of the others. I prefer to use the square irons, and they have to be cast iron. The reason I like the square irons is that we use crescent dough for our pies. Two triangles pinched together to make a rectangle. Pat the crescent dough out to twice the size of the pie iron. Then put it in the iron, add fruit, fold the dough over and push the edges together. Cook and then dump out onto a plate. Add whip cream and enjoy the best pie ever. We tried pie dough and found that crescent dough makes a better pie crust. We also have cooked eggs, omelets, pizza, toasted sandwiches, etc. in the irons. Double irons are too heavy to hold over the coals (cook over coals not in flames), and the aluminum burn too easy.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:38 PM   #12

We have been using the cast iron square one for years. I didnt know they made round ones but the square ones we have seal very well.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlhdoc View Post
Double irons are too heavy to hold over the coals (cook over coals not in flames).
We just place the iron right on the hot coals. Just flip them periodically. I never hold them.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:13 PM   #14

The real trick seems to be cast iron, we have always had cast but a friend bought a new one that was not cast and it made terrible pies. Shape seems like a secondary characteristic to me. Whatever you like will probably be right for you, just make sure they are way heavy cast! Also love the idea for crescent dough will try that out asap thanks!
1979 23.5 Okanagan class c
1973 8' Bonair pop-up
tent - not wife friendly btw
OKHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:37 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalenoel View Post
We get them a dozen at the time from the Minute Pie Mold Company and they are the round, long handled, cast iron ones.
Has anyone else used this brand? I looked at their website and it's a little hard to get a real close-up view of them. I know I can't go wrong with "Rome" brand but am always curious about the small American companies out there that make good products.

All conversations so far have been very helpful as points have been made that can only be made from having first-hand experience using them. I still haven't decided the shape or brand but I do like the idea of being able to pinch and seal the edges, which seems to be easier done with round ones.

Thanks again everyone.
Honda EU2000i Generator
Old 03-19-2013, 07:27 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5arnolds View Post
Has anyone else used this brand? I looked at their website and it's a little hard to get a real close-up view of them. I know I can't go wrong with "Rome" brand but am always curious about the small American companies out there that make good products.

All conversations so far have been very helpful as points have been made that can only be made from having first-hand experience using them. I still haven't decided the shape or brand but I do like the idea of being able to pinch and seal the edges, which seems to be easier done with round ones.

Thanks again everyone.
I'll post a couple photos later today when I can get them from the TT.

Dale

Old 03-19-2013, 09:43 AM   #17

We bought a square many years ago to add to the round one we had. Always had problems with the edges not sealing and, depending on the brand of bread purchased, sometimes the bread wouldn't completely cover the iron so that was another point of leakage. As I recall, they didn't cook very evenly either. Finally pitched it when we found another round one. Rome Industries of course.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:43 AM   #18

Here are photos of the pie irons we've used for over 50 years.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Minute Pie Mold 005.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	6919Click image for larger version

Name:	Minute Pie Mold 001.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	6920Click image for larger version

Name:	Minute Pie Mold 002.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	6921Click image for larger version

Name:	Minute Pie Mold 003.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	6922Click image for larger version

Name:	Minute Pie Mold 004.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	6923

Old 03-19-2013, 01:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalenoel View Post
Here are photos of the pie irons we've used for over 50 years.
Thanks dalenoel. I find it interesting how the inside walls of your 50-year old Minute Pie Mold Co. ones are of a more gradual slope/not as deep when compared to the current day Rome pie makers (at least, that's what the pictures seem to indicate). Maybe the design of new Minute Pie Mold ones are different now.

I think I'll buy at least 1 round one from Rome and from Minute Pie Mold to see how they compare.

Thanks all!
Honda EU2000i Generator
Old 03-19-2013, 02:15 PM   #20

The Minute Pie Mold is the same configuration now as it was then. They are not as deep but they do seal very well. Cost is around $12/iron for the long handle round.

My brand new ones are exactly the same.