Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-22-2016, 07:18 PM   #1

Weber Q: Couple Questions

I have seriously considered replacing our Coleman RoadTrip grill (The Blue LX model- non scissor leg stand) with a Weber Q. But it seems the only dimensions I have found are with the tables out (if equipped) and with the lid open. Can someone please post the dimensions of the 1000 series and the 2000 series grills when they are "closed up".

I would probably go with the 2200 model for the larger cooking area over the 1200, but also the "extras" the 2200 has over the 2000.

I can't say I am unhappy with the RoadTrip, just wouldn't mind something a little more compact in regards to storage. IF I had to choose one downside it is the fact the RoadTrip is a little bit of a pain to clean. The one thing about buying the Q is that I would possibly need a table/cart for the Weber Q. Though we do have 2 aluminum roll top tables that the grill could probably sit on.

So has anyone replaced a RoadTrip with a Weber Q? How do the two compare in regards to cleaning? Is the Q a lot more compact in regards to storing?

Though I guess if it's not broke, maybe I shouldn't "fix it", right?

TY!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:47 PM   #2

The Weber Q is better than the Coleman Roadtrip is several ways. But one thing it isn't, is a whole lot more compact for storage, at least the 200/2000 series. I have a Q200, its in the trailer so I can't measure it, but what I will say is it is a much higher profile than the Roadtrip thus it takes a quite a bit of room in my pass through.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:59 PM   #3

Defiantly NOT more compact or easier to store but it out performs the Roadtrip grill for cooking. I sold my Roadtrip on Craigslist and bought a Weber.
Knauby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:15 PM   #4

Three years ago I picked up one of the baby Weber Q's, I don't know which model number, but it has the thermometer and two folding wings. I erroneously thought I'd not use the two wings but now glad that I bought that version. I also purchased the available (collapsible) roll along stand; again I'm glad I did as I now can easily move the hot grill away from the grandkids, table and/or camper. Additionally I also purchased the adapter so I can use a larger propane tank; again a very worth while extra.

When traveling it rides in the truck bed. If you store anything inside the firebox make sure you bungie cord the lid down; I've now lost two metal grease pans because I failed to do this.

This grill was intended for camping use but I've found it more convenient than my full size weber house grill; now when returning from camp I return it to the house - only returning it to the camper when needed. It gets used 4-5 times per week, the big grill only once/twice a month.

Now to the point of your questioning: cleaning the cast iron cooking grate is the usual tough job, I often am scrapping it with a metal blade scrapper. Slowly it developes into the old frypan scale and then requires a more severe cleaning job. Or not - if you prefer that. I have found that you should keep most of the grate openings free, I assume so that needed air can reach the burner.

Inside, the firebox builds up with grease - but I've found it can easily be scraped off (into the grease catch pan) using a narrow plastic type putty knife. A bit dirty on the hands - fortunately soap and water takes care of the hands.

Every once in awhile I'll spray everything (inside AND outside) completely down with oven cleaner, let sit a few hours and then hose it down. It makes me feel better and generally makes it look better.

While shopping for this I was concerned with reports that many competing models didn't get hot enough. I routinely see 450 degrees (after heating maybe 15 min), providing plenty of beautiful grill marks on my steaks.

Overall its one of the best investments I've made for the camper. If this one gets stolen (or damaged) I will purchase another one.
Old 05-07-2016, 11:59 AM   #5

TY for the feedback!!!!

Never considered a plastic putty knife for cleaning, great idea!!!

It sounds like the Q is definitely worth the price. I just need to decide if we should continue to use the RT until it no longer works very well, or dump it and get the Q.

Side question on the RT for those who have had one: did you use water in the pan? I never have and wonder if that would help with the cleaning.....

Old 05-07-2016, 12:33 PM   #6

I always used water in pan. I didn't change it every time. Yes I think it helped with clean up because the grease couldn't burn on.
Knauby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 02:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knauby View Post
I always used water in pan. I didn't change it every time. Yes I think it helped with clean up because the grease couldn't burn on.
TY Knauby!!!

It seems every time I use the RT, I don't think about adding the water, until it is time to clean!!! Lol

I will try it and decide from there....

TY to all!!!

Old 06-03-2016, 10:57 PM   #8

Thought I would post an update.

My wife and boys just gave me a Weber Q220 for my birthday a few days early!!! I happened to be surfing craigslist last w/e for any "awesome used deals" for a Weber Grill, and found a listing for a brand new Q220 on clearance for $150!!!

Mentioned the Q220 to my wife last night and she happened to be in that area today for work (store is about an hour from us) and stopped in and bought it!

Next trip is planned for Father's Day W/E, so will get a chance to try it then.

TY again for all the feedback and advice!

Old 06-04-2016, 05:25 AM   #9
Site Team

If you dump the old one, there are some parts on it that can be used to convert the new Q to work with the low pressure tap on your trailer so don't junk it until those parts are salvaged.

BTW, Happy Fathers day. You will really like the grill.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 05:42 AM   #10

I'm sticking with our Coleman Road Trip. Works fine for us and easy to clean up using water in the tray. I like the different grill tops you can use and all fits in a nice roll around wheeled tote bag... The side trays on the roadtrip stand are great for working around the stove top when cooking...

I also like the idea of using the 1lb Propane Canisters... My back-up Mr Buddy heat source also uses those same canisters so this ensures I have ample supply on hand when camping...

I have this setup purchased in 2008...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 06:23 AM   #11

TY Norty!

I have heard great things about the Q, so my expectations are pretty high. Lol

Happy Father's Day to you also! Crazy to think Father's Day is just around the corner.

I have considered hooking up to the lp at the back of the trailer, but there are times we use both the grill and our Camp Chef Explorer 2 burner stove at the same time. About a month ago I stopped by our local propane place and talked to them about making an adapter to hook both the grill and stove up, said I could probably use one at a time due to being a regulated supply, but not both due to the length of the 32, plus I wanted another 15' whip to get away from the trailer some. BUT I am considering running a hp feed back, and mounting a regulator at the rear of the trailer. Currently on the back burner mod list.

Roy,

That is the model RT we have also. I actually use a 20lb tank since we also have the Camp Chef. Had one of the stove tops for the RT, but when camping with more than one family (our big trip is 6 families, possibly more) we needed the extra burners, so the last couple years it's only been used mostly as a grill.

One hesitation I had about the Q is the lack of a (included) stand like the RT. I do have a couple Aluminum roll top rectangular tables we use. Those things are awesome!!! So do have something I can set the Q on.

Not sure I will get rid of the RT. May keep it here at the house to take with for day trips or if needed when tailgating at Mi games. Mainly because we don't keep the camper here at our house, and it is easier to not have to (remember to) pack the grill every trip.

Old 10-08-2016, 05:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knauby View Post

I was searching "Cleaning Coleman Roadtrip grill" and found this tread. I bought a new Roadtrip for the camper today to replace our 10 year old one. I almost bought the Weber. But since we had all the accessories for this one, it made more sense to me to go with the same. It is a pain to clean, but has been a good grill. I am going to surprise my DH with the new grill. I hope I did not make a mistake not going with the Weber. DH always cleans the grill so thanks for the suggestion of water in the pan and the putty knife which I will include with the grill!

"Let the Reel Cool Times Roll !!!!!
ReelCool is offline   Reply With Quote