Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-03-2017, 12:04 AM   #1

2017 octane 272 solar

I am purchasing a 2017 jayco octane 272 this weekend. I live in Colorado and will be picking it up in Indiana.

My main question is regarding a solar trickle charging system. What size solar panel setup will I need when out dry camping? It has the 50 amp package on it, so does that mean it has upgraded batteries? When dry camping we won't run the AC and we will use LP to power refrigerator and water heater. Does any one have experience with brands or specific panels. I would love some recommendations. I want to purchase the panels this week so we can take the trailer out the following weekend.

What are some things I should ask of the dealership before I drive 1k miles to pick this trailer up? I am new to owning a trailer (my dad had pop ups when I was growing up) and any recommendations are welcomed.
LKetter450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 03:00 AM   #2

Any solar trickle charger will work
As you are only charging the batteries that run 12v system
Amazon has a few panels for that designation

Now if you are talking running Solar with panels to run AC appliances that's a different story

There's a few DIY on amazon as well in the 1000-2500$ range
I can send links if interested

But to have whole house solar tied in you would need 1,000-3,000 watts of panels paired with either AGM or lithium 6volt batteries with pure sine wave inverter

But as mentioned if you are wanting to trickle charge the batteries for 12volt system to plug into solar plug then that's a simpler feat

Let me know which one you are interested in
I'm getting ready to put in a whole RV system to power AC as well

-tad
Doctortadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:58 AM   #3

Everyone is different

Everyone's power use is different - get a good battery monitor so that you can see how much power you use - if you " have " to have solar now be sure that it is upgradable ( oversized your wire and controller )
We have 560 watts ( 4 Trojan T-105RE batteries ) and most days it is more than we need but we are very conservative

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKetter450 View Post
I am purchasing a 2017 jayco octane 272 this weekend. I live in Colorado and will be picking it up in Indiana.

My main question is regarding a solar trickle charging system. What size solar panel setup will I need when out dry camping? It has the 50 amp package on it, so does that mean it has upgraded batteries? When dry camping we won't run the AC and we will use LP to power refrigerator and water heater. Does any one have experience with brands or specific panels. I would love some recommendations. I want to purchase the panels this week so we can take the trailer out the following weekend.

What are some things I should ask of the dealership before I drive 1k miles to pick this trailer up? I am new to owning a trailer (my dad had pop ups when I was growing up) and any recommendations are welcomed.
Congratulations on the new Octane and welcome to the forum.

Solar trickle chargers will supply enough power to overcome the 'parasitic' battery draws to keep the battery charged, but not enough power if you are using very much 12v power (furnace, cooling fans, tv, etc.) while camping.

The solar package will not include a battery upgrade.

At the dealership, you need to perform a thorough PDI (PreDelivery Inspection) to verify everything works. Some of folks on this site regret not doing a thorough PDI and discovering things don't work. A through PDI takes HOURS, not minutes!

Other than doing the paperwork and the PDI, there's not much you need to ask the dealership.

You didn't mention your truck or hitch. Have you investigated those to be sure that neither of them will be a problem?
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:05 AM   #5
Site Team

2x what oldmanAZ said!!!

These SOLAR trickle chargers are designed to keep a FULLY CHARGED 12VDC battery system "Topped OFF". Understand that the RATED Panel Output is under FULL Sun Light, and will more than likely only achieve that output a few hours a day. Any type of shade will bring the WATTS down to almost nothing. So that 1 or 2 amps will not be generated all day. Then subtract the draw on the parasitic loads (CO detector, fridge circuit board, radio ckt board..) from the panel output. The more WATTS the better.

Some of the "INEXPENSIVE" SOLAR trickle charges do not use a SOLAR charge controller or at least a blocking diode. Those panels become a load and discharge the battery at night. Make sure they at least have a blocking diode if no SOLAR charge controller comes with it

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:28 AM   #6

Thanks guys! Trip went smooth, and I picked up a 200 W (upgrade able) solar system. Includes controller, inverter and 2 panels. System worked great while camping. Batteries were always full.
LKetter450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Thanks guys! Trip went smooth, and I picked up a 200 W (upgrade able) solar system. Includes controller, inverter and 2 panels. System worked great while camping. Batteries were always full.
Awesome!

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 12:04 PM   #9

Electrical Laod Ratings Chart

Attached is a electrical load ratings chart for my 16 Eagle.We went Solar last summer and love it.The chart will give you an idea how much power each appliance uses.Enjoy your new camper!
Attached Thumbnails
Sun Flowers.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Power usage chart Jayco.PDF (51.1 KB, 15 views)
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:10 PM   #10

Quote:

I am installing same setup as you have this weekend on my 272. Any words of wisdom? Anything you wished you’d done different? Where did u route wires? Any info provided would be greatly appreciated

Thx
2018 Polaris Sportsman 570
Doughydman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:27 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Great!!! You are hooked now...

ENJOY all that noise the SOLAR panels make charging your system.

Don
My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking, charging system, new member, new trailer, solar panels