Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-17-2015, 07:06 AM   #11
Originally Posted by djtho1 View Post
Thanks for the thoughts. Grumpy, are the Timbrens the rubber bumper things that replace the bumpstops? I have those, but didn't know what they were called.

Blderman, I am aware of what the paper says the truck can do and appreciate your points. Mine is a cab and chassis that ford used to haul car haulers or a box to car shows and then sold it to a dealer. They finished it out as a pickup truck and sold it to my dad for use in a business. It has a higher gvw and tow rating than a standard 1-ton pickup (though not what the new trucks show, I agree with that), and the ride to go along with it . I have upgraded the brakes, added a custom 4R100 tranny (BTS), exhaust brake, tuner (DP Tuner with custom tunes), upgraded turbo, and a few other things to help it along. I will one day own a newer truck, but can't afford the 66,000 list on one of these things. I have built this one so far with cash. Sorry to be long winded, but I wanted to relay what this truck has. So far, it has towed ford car haulers, commercial trailers, a 31 foot camper by my father, and a 41 foot Evergreen fifth wheel (17,000 lbs) from Washington to California and then back to Ohio. We then towed the Seismic from Ohio back to CA, where we are now. I am told that the air bags are more stable than what I have now and am looking into them.

Again, thank you for all the input. It is most helpful as I keep researching. If there is anything else people have done to build their trucks, I am always looking for ideas

Thanks for not being offended as I was only trying to help. IMO Ford really screwed up the ratings on those early Super Duty trucks.

I think you will really like airbags. I had 2,500+lbs in the bed of that truck several times and the ride and handling were miserable without airbags. Do you have the heavy duty rear away bar? That makes a substantial difference too.

2016 23MBH Elite
2014 F150 SCREW LB Ecoboost
blderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 07:20 AM   #12
I am not sure about the heavy rear bar, but it has heavier rear springs than a typical 1-ton. When it was a commercial truck, we regularly carried 3,000 lbs with it regularly and towed a 15,000 lb trailer with 3-4000 lb tongue weight 20 miles on a direct ball no weight distribution setup. I don't know if I'd do that now, but other than the hitch now having some slack in it, no harm was done.

I am not sure why these truck weren't rated higher. Compared to today's trucks they were down on power, so maybe that's it. It was also before the towing wars and seeing who can climb the fastest (great way to break something, in my opinion). Back then a 1-ton Dually was just a work truck and we really didn't worry about gvw and tow ratings. If it needed hauled, we hauled it.

Sounds like I better be pricing some airbags

djtho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 12:30 AM   #13
Sounds like I better be pricing some airbags [/QUOTE]

25% off sale, Weekend40 (works, another $40 off), then you get up to $100 bucks back if you order both the remote system and air bag system!

Thought i share - great buy, OTD $543 for compress wireless ONE and Air Lift 5000. After $100 rebate from Airlift - $443!!

Air Lift 57396 Load Lifter 5000 Air Helper Springs 11-15 Ford F250/F350/F450

Jayco1323 is offline   Reply With Quote