Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-08-2016, 08:20 AM   #1

Cameras. ( back -up or security )

I'm thinking of getting a camera system with 4 cameras , one for each side of trailer , just my preference . I'm thinking wired so that I don't run into connection problems. The other half of me says where and how am I going to get THe wires into the inside neatly and look professional per say. I'm wanting a system really just to have the monitor by the tv area maybe so that I can see around the trailer during the day or night,not necessary for back up only. What system do others have and what is your opinion of it ? I looked at a furrion system but they only have one camera,some of the others are listed on eBay. Thanks
Old 02-08-2016, 10:33 AM   #2
Site Team

I have Night Owl Security DVR and 16 Cameras on/in my house. I had the cameras from an earlier model. Most security DVR/Camera setups come with 400TVL (TVlines). I upgraded to 600TVL cameras and it was a 100% better. They now have 900TVL cameras which should put my 600TVL's to shame, but I bneed to save some money first. Recording wise, as you increase the camera TVL, you increase the size of the hard drive needed to store your video. If you want to use the record feature do not buy a system with less than 1TB of storage. I have my cameras set to MOTION sensing, so the only time they get recorded is while there is motion + 2 min after motion stops. Unlike having them on the TT (CG's internet may restrict the DVR from streaming video to your phone), I can access my security DVR via my smart phone, or any internet connected device from anywhere. It is nice when the gate sensors get triggered and I get an alert (SimpliSafe) and I check my iPhone to see (log into NightOwl DVR) what triggered it. It is usually the lawn guys or my neighbor raiding our backyard garden while we are traveling (yes he has our approval).

The 400TVL cameras IR lets you see about 10' at night, the 600TVL cameras IR increases that to about 20-30'. Night vision is very grainy.

If you just want to have the cameras on the TT for viewing around you and nothing else, an inexpensive one may fit the bill, but remember with these systems you get what you pay for. I doubt security recording is what you want, as all you do is pull your shore power and it is off. If you want to use one camera for rear view, you need to have your 110VAC running while traveling.

On our trailer I use a WiFi camera (300' xmit/rec) with a WiFi router in the TT. I access the camera from the TV while traveling.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
SECURITY - NightOwl DVR.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote