Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-12-2016, 02:23 PM   #1

Considering a Toy Hauler conversion... Siesmic 4250

Hi all, we are full-timers and still active duty in the AF. I am considering a Toy Hauler with intent of converting (temp use) the garage into an alternate living area. Yea kinda a man Cave but also somewhere I can study or our son could stay when he visits. Has anyone done this? I am 6'4" so I am concerned for the height inside the garage; may require removing the factory couches/bed. I will add a Big Lots style couch and probably a big screen TV (again for studying). After retirement, I will likely convert back to having a place for the toys. Just looking for some insight, pros/cons to this rig and idea, opinions are fine too.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk
Old 12-29-2016, 10:10 PM   #2

Just wanted to say I have spent 2 years thinking about and researching the possibility of converting the back cargo space of a ToyHauler into a useable office. Take a look at what I did....... pretty happy with the results. Yes I am a full time RVer as well.

Some sub notes:
Jayco is one of the FEW manufacturers that insulate the floor of the "cargo" area. You will notice there are no floor heater vents from the furnace into this space. This is on purpose... to prevent circulating gaseous fumes from a gasoline type vehicle parked in the garage space. My unit has the optional AC unit, and I have added a 1500 watt ceramic heater in this space for the winter. There are 2 AC circuits for this space. So operating an electric heater on one of them is no problem
EdBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 10:14 PM   #3

Click on my registry to see pictures
Old 12-30-2016, 08:42 AM   #4

EdBob, I reviewed your registry and the 21 good pics of your mods. Do you have any overall pics of the final garage renovation? I had heard of the insulated floor but being a Jayco owner I just assumed that was standard across the industry. Guess that is another posative since our current arrangement has us winter RV'ing in the Northern Tier for the next few years. Planned to get the seperate AC but wasn't sure if one space heater would be enough for the entire garage area? Good job on your mods. We definitley believe in modifying these rigs to meet our personal needs.

Full timers but still active duty AF, anxiously awaiting retirement travels where I have been told everyday is a Saturday
Old 12-30-2016, 11:29 PM   #5

I chose a 4 element quartz heater for the garage. They seem to be most efficient. The one in the garage/office is set at 68 and runs on 700 watts. It is more than enough. I keep the sliding glass door open between the office and living space at all times. For the main space, I have tried two different heaters. Ended up with a 6 element quartz as well. However I do not run it all the time. Usually only during the day. My preferred setup is to run the office heater and Atwood 30K btu furnace. The main furnace runs on average 15min per 1.5 hours. One more thing, there is a ceramic heater in the basement set on 700 watts and at 78 degrees. This eliminates any cold draft from the furnace intake return (located on the facing of the steps leading into the upper bedroom). With the basement at 78, my furnace hardly runs. There are some other mods I have made as well. Blown insulation into the front fiberglass cap, and triple layered 1 inch bubble wrap on all windows.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:37 PM   #6

One thing I forgot to mention. Garage height is same as rest of living space. (9 feet). I did remove couches. I installed shelving on the power track instead. This way things that I don't need access too all the time can be stowed up out of the way. I kept the additional bed. It's pinned at the top of the power track.