Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-19-2017, 09:55 PM   #1

Decided to get a 222, what now!

The wife and I have decided on a 222 and I am shopping around for one. We really wanted the bigger 260 or 272 but for my truck the 222 makes more sense. I have a few questions for the experienced buyers.

1. What is the dealer price or a good price on a 222? When i buy a vehicle i take the invoice add 1000 and tell the dealer that is my price. Can you do that with a Jayco? My dealer here showed me a 32k sticker price but gave me an out the door price of 23k. I wasn't ready to buy so i didn't haggle.

2. I am going to ask for a WDH is there anything else that i should have rolled in? It will be a cash deal so no worries about paying interest on accessories.

3. Can i get a screen for the rear door after market or should i order on from Jayco? Any other must have the dealer install items?

4. Fav insurance? I am thinking progressive they have my bike and boat.

5. Storage cover? Or is it like a car cover that just beats the crap out of it?

6. Storage lot? What are reasonable indoor rates?

I have a lot of tent camping experience but this will be my first camper so i will be reading a lot over the coming months.

Lastly anyone want to talk me out of a Jayco? Something better? I looked at an xlr but the Jaycos seem nicer.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Defy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:39 AM   #2

Defy,

Congrats!!!!

I will try to help with some of the questions.

1. If like a tt, about 30% off msrp before tax, title, license is a good price.

2. Get a good wdh with integrated sway control. Reese SC or Dual Cam, and the Equal,I-Zer 4 way system are great for the price. Make sure the dealer gives you the correct rated wd bars for once the th is loaded, though a th usually has a higher dry tw than a comparable tt.

Other accessories would be:
WHEEL CHOCKS (don't rely on only the "x chocks).
A 30a (or 50a if the rig has 50a) extension cord.
At least 50' of fresh water hose.
At least 20' of a good sewer hose.
Water pressure regulator, 90* so the hose doesn't bend/kink going in the trailer.
X chocks to help wiggle when camping, the brace kit that mounts to the sciccor jack (prevents wiggle also).
Lego blocks (at least 2-3 kits or buy 2x8's or 10's) for leveling the trailer side to side.
Aning mat.
Surge/ EMS unit.
Vent cover.
If you have 30a service, a 15a male to 30a female dog bone. A 50a male to 30a female dog bone. If 50a service, buy the appropriate adapters.
Maybe some led puck lights to stick under cabinets for night lights.
Water filter when using water hook up.

Sure I have missed something. Will post back if I think of anything else.

Most of the stuff can usually be purchased from Amazon or Walmart for a lot cheaper than the dealer, even with a dealer discount. So start price shopping now so you have an idea what is a good price when you pick your rig up.

Since you have tent camped, I left the camp chairs, grill, hot dog forks, etc out. Guessing you have those items already.

3. Not sure.

4. Progressive has great coverage!

5. Personally I'm not sold on a cover helping more than harming.

6. For this past winter we paid $2.25/ft per month. Will vary of course depending on location.

Good luck!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:01 AM   #3

Awesome list! Still digesting but a few more questions:

Surge unit???
Should i get a 50/30 amp outlet put in the garage to connect the trailer at home?

Lastly, generator we are thinking about a small honda to start (wife uses them at work). Will a small one power the trailer sans HVAC leaving fridge/stove on propane?

Old 04-20-2017, 11:14 AM   #4

1. For reference, I paid $21,750 (Before Taxes) for my 2017 222 with the Rear Screen Door, Power Awning, and Power Tongue Jack options. That was 28.25% off MSRP ($30,322). My cost, out the door, with new weight distribution and sway control brackets, was $23,200. I did find a cheaper unit in VA for 21,250, and used that as a bargaining chip with my dealer. Worth the couple extra bucks to not feel like an A$$ when I head to my local dealer for service...So I bought from them.

2. See if they'll throw in a starter kit (freshwater and sewer hoses, or some other accessories). My dealer did it without asking. Be sure to clarify that for the price you're paying, you'll get your WDH INSTALLED. Also, see if they'll give you a discount for the accessories you buy the same day) Might get 15-25%.

3. See if you can add the screen at the dealer. Can't beat factory options. There are plenty of aftermarket screens, but the Jayco option is the best I've seen. I strongly recommend the power tongue jack as an added option.

4. Got my insurance through Geico, they insure my bikes, and adding the camper was $220 a year.

5. Storage cover is a good idea...lets the roof seals not have to work over the winter months. +1

6. Outdoor in Eastern PA runs me $45/Month. Cheapest indoor storage I've found is $110. Look to see if you can rent some cheap hangar space at a regional airport.

Lastly, buy the Jayco. You'll get what you pay for. As you already know, camping is a hobby, and for the sunk cost, the Jayco is good bang-for-the-buck.

2017 Jayco Octane 222
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab LTZ Z71
rwk5159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:02 PM   #5

A surge/ EMS system helps protect the electrical from power surges. The EMS is a "smart system" that will shut off in the even if surges, to low of current, possibly open ground, etc depending on the model. Progressive Industires I think is the highly regarded brand.

Installing the correct 30/50a outlet in the garage will allow you to run the a/c while packing, unpacking, or even while doing mods. Worth considering. Though we have ran our a/c on low on a 20a outlet w/ a 14g ext cord. Everything else was off or on propane.

To run the a/c, it seems most need about a 3k watt generator.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:34 PM   #6

Ok surge protector, got it. I didn't think of that for the TH but I guess it makes sense.

For the Gen I think we are going to do two 2000W Hondas in parallel. Probably start with one and see if we can live without the A/C and upgrade to the second one if we can't.

Lots of good info keep it coming! I am making a list and once I am done i'll share it for folks in the same situation.

Few more questions:

1. Backup camera? I am thinking of hooking one up that i can swap between it and the one on my tailgate. Is it weird backing up with the camera or useful? For the boat I just look over my shoulder and grab the bottom of the wheel and it' s fine. I assume with TH you try to not back up =)

2. Anyone got a good dealer in VA? We are moving there so we might buy it there to be able to go back to the same dealer for maintenance/warranty. Also my dealer here only has 1 222 in stock and it might be sold by the time I am ready (still about 2 weeks out, I like to research a lot).

3. Gas smell with toys in the camper? How bad is it? Once we buy ours we will live in it for 2 weeks with my Harley, I won't be driving the Harley (pushing it in and out) day and nights.

4. Mounting the wheel chock for the bike, how hard it is? I have a condor so should I just leave it free? Mount to 4x4 plywood, strap bike to condor (2 straps from triple tree) then use 4 straps to everything down? Drill in the floor?
Old 04-21-2017, 05:31 AM   #7

2-2K gens should do the trick!!!

Back up camera- even with one you should still use a spotter, and you will want to walk the area before starting to back in the site. Checking everywhere, ground to sky (looking for stumps, trees/posts, and hanging ranches that may damage the rig). Also check the other side of the road to make sure your truck won't hit anything.

I keep looking at setting a camera system up, but more so as an observation unit to make sure the bikes and rack haven't gone anywhere and as a bonus, that traffic is clear when changing lanes. Never know when an idiot may sneak up on the bumper and disappear from the mirrors.

Can't help with 2,3, or 4. Hopefully some fellow members That can will post upshortly!!!

Old 04-21-2017, 02:02 PM   #8

buy ours!
kneeslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneeslider View Post
buy ours!

Pm me your info and i'll give you my email. I have cash if its the right one!

Old 04-22-2017, 10:19 AM   #10

Ok well now i am going back and forth on the 260 vs 222. I was set on the 222 by the pics but i went to look at one today and i don't like the little bench on the side i like the chairs in the 260. I know i can add them to the 222 but thats an extra 1k on the price. The trailer is 600lbs (6300 vs 5700 dry). heavier and just a few lbs heavier on the tongue weight. I am going to go put a scale on the tongue of the 260 to see what is really is dry and then put 4 guys in the cargo area and see. I was really set on the 222 but... more to come.

Old 04-23-2017, 06:47 AM   #11

2015 Octane SuperLite 222 with approximately 6,000 miles. Some tweets & upgrades. normal wear for it's age & mileage. $24,500 out the driveway.

Our driveway is in Georgia.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:29 PM   #12

Quote:
2015 Octane SuperLite 222 with approximately 6,000 miles. Some tweets & upgrades. normal wear for it's age & mileage. $24,500 out the driveway.

Our driveway is in Georgia.

Thanks for the info. Kind of high though 17 brand new one is 23k from my dealer.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:47 AM   #13

ok, how about $22,500?
Old 04-24-2017, 08:10 PM   #14

Ahhh so close to making a decision yet so far away! I think i am going to offer my dealer 23k for the 260 and see if he'll make the decision for me. If he says yes then i get the big one if he says no back to the 222.

My wife doesn't think we'll use it much and is afraid it will be a money pit. We really only get out once a month with our tent setup now.... maybe i should rent one for a few trips first... ahhhhh

Old 04-24-2017, 08:55 PM   #15

My biggest question is ... do you have enough tow vehicle? And if so will it be adequate down the road - when you upgrade the camper?

Just off the top of my head (once loaded) I'd say you'll need a 3/4 ton unit.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:23 PM   #16

Decided to get a 222, what now!

Yeah i don't have toys big enough to load it right now. It will mostly haul a 300lb 17 foot kayak and bicycles or a Harley sportster so I'll probably never get past 1k in toys. For at least a few years till my 3 and 6 year old get in to dirt bike. Plus i have had the truck for 5 years if we really get into this camper stuff i will get a 250, i love the way they look.

To add to the fire i have a good deal on a used 15 222.... but the kayak would only fit if i made a stand to go over the bed.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:42 AM   #17

Good luck & safe travels!
Old 04-26-2017, 07:18 AM   #18

Quote:
Good luck & safe travels!

Thanks!

Got the green light from the spouse unit to make an offer on the 260. We'll see. If we start really loading it up we will just have to get a 250

Now i need to find a place to store one...

Old 04-26-2017, 12:59 PM   #19

Ooo so close this might come together this weekend! Alright really need to look at storage.

Ok last major question: how does the dealer network work for Jayco? I am moving here in a few months and am curious if it would be better to wait until i get to VA to buy so i could be with the same dealer for the first year or so. If it needs warranty work will any dealer help?

Old 04-27-2017, 06:26 PM   #20

Well poop... before i pulled the trigger I went to the scales loaded up with what i would consider about as lite of a load as i would run on the TV with fam loaded and nothing in the bed (it would all be in the TH).

GVWR is 7200 so i get a 820 for the tongue weight

Dry weight on the trailer i want is 6300 so figure load with a bike and gear 7000-7500 easy @ 11% (11-12% recommended for a TH) i am sitting right at 825 lbs

So looks like i need to head back to the drawing board and get a 222 or convince the wife to get a bigger truck.

Everyone kept telling me 3/4 ;( booo and i got the dealer down to a steal of a price on the 260 and planed to pull the trigger this weekend.

Thanks for saving me 20k or costing me 40k in order to upgrade+trailer....i guess