Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-06-2016, 12:32 PM   #1

Delivery inspection in the winter

We ordered an Octane 273 a few months back and were recently notified it will be delivered in mid January.

I have concerns about how to do some of the inspection items with it being mid-winter.

For example, it has a fuel station for the toys. Do I really want to put fuel in it to see if it can pump? If I really want to test it I would have to fill it which is 40 gallons of fuel. If I put water I would have to have a way to COMPLETELY drain it for winter without putting anything in it that would contaminate fuel.

I guess I will have to fill water tanks and the like to do all the testing and then winterize after. Being the first time I would probably rather pay to have it done. I won't have time to learn how to do it standing there and will need it done before rolling away with it.

Thoughts?
Octane2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 01:24 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane2Go View Post
We ordered an Octane 273 a few months back and were recently notified it will be delivered in mid January.

I have concerns about how to do some of the inspection items with it being mid-winter.

For example, it has a fuel station for the toys. Do I really want to put fuel in it to see if it can pump? If I really want to test it I would have to fill it which is 40 gallons of fuel. If I put water I would have to have a way to COMPLETELY drain it for winter without putting anything in it that would contaminate fuel.

I guess I will have to fill water tanks and the like to do all the testing and then winterize after. Being the first time I would probably rather pay to have it done. I won't have time to learn how to do it standing there and will need it done before rolling away with it.
Thoughts?
Is it a new unit with a warranty?

If it was me... I would put enough fuel to be sure it pumped (5gal?) and didn't leak. IMO, filling with 40gal of fuel would not be necessary.

As you said, you WILL need to test the water heater etc. so filling and draining the water system will be necessary. If you have them do the winterizing and observe, you will find out where the water heater bypass valves are, where the low point drains are, and the hose and suction side of the water pump. If you read winterizing problems posted in the JOF, you'll find those 3 things are recurring problems for new owners.

IMO, there is no way to contaminate the fuel via the trailer's water system. Maybe I'm not reading something correctly.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 02:11 PM   #3

Good points all around. Thanks. The water reference was, someone had suggested that I just put water in it and fill it to test pump etc. I could easily empty it anywhere. The problem is, I wouldn't be able to eliminate all water and Winter could do damage.

I think I will just take a couple 5 gallon cans with me and use them to test. I can put some fuel stabilizer in it to get me to summer. Shouldn't be a problem.

Anyway, thanks again.
Old 12-06-2016, 02:59 PM   #4
Site Team

I would think they would winterize it for free since it is the walk through inspection on a brand new rig.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 03:31 PM   #5

when are you first planning to use it? ours was delivered in March and the dealer stored it till May when we did our PID.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 03:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
when are you first planning to use it? ours was delivered in March and the dealer stored it till May when we did our PID.
Ditto. We bought both our trailers in the fall, left a healthy deposit, but didn't pay or take delivery until spring. Saved a season's worth of storage and insurance costs.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 07:05 PM   #7

winter purchase

Took delivery of mine on a freezing day. They had it in a heated shop for inspection. Tested all functions. They re-winterized before I left.
mocruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 08:25 AM   #8

The only thing that would be important to me since I would have a new warranty is road salt removal.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 11:46 AM   #9

Mine arrived in January, but we didn't take delivery until the end of April.. End of April was also when the warranty started.
Old 12-07-2016, 01:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane2Go View Post

Thoughts?
I would not be to worried about the fuel station and checking to be sure it works. Your dealer could put a small amount of fuel in it. If not, it is under warranty so you will know soon if it works or not.

Like someone else said........I would be worried about salt and road conditions more.

Good Luck
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 03:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post
Mine arrived in January, but we didn't take delivery until the end of April.. End of April was also when the warranty started.
Great point. An "extra" 4 months of warranty is a really good thing with one of the new Jayco's. That's 3 months ticking by while you aren't using it and discovering all the little things that need attention. I'd rather have the 4 months at the end so that they can take care of any issues found during camping season.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 08:17 PM   #12

Many thanks all, we are planning on doing the Collins ATV Sports series in 2017 and don't want any hiccups to keep us off the trails. :-)

Tags
inspection