Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-23-2017, 11:37 PM   #1

Disaster! Landing gear pull pin sheared while leveling.

While "trying" to level my seismic 400W today my left front pin sheared causing the other to break, sending the front end crashing to the ground. Luckily the kids were in the car and everyone was safe. I was able to still extend the gear high enough to hitch to the truck. We drove our other car to the dealer to purchase a set of new landing gear pull pins. There is some visible damage to the landing gear inside the generator bay. The bolts are bent and I can see on the outer tube where it seems to have moved about an inch. It's hard to explain. There are scratches on the outer tube that appear to be cause by the 2 outer bolts moving up from the force of impact. I was able to easily replace the landing gear pin assembly and manually level the trailer. But of course the coach still won't auto level "out of stroke" auto level failed. I'm using leveling blocks as well. The LCI electric leveling system on this coach has been a major problem. Now my wife and I are on edge thinking it will happen again. The trailer is new and under warranty. We are also concerned about unseen structural damage although there doesn't appear to be any (other than mentioned). The parts guy at the dealership said he's never seen a pin break like that. I'm going to call jayco in the morning. This was not the way I planed on spending my Sunday...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Heath_Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 12:00 PM   #2

That sucks! Keep us posted.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
jaycojls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 12:04 PM   #3

Jayco was helpful on the phone. The agreed to pay for a mobile tech to examine the landing gear and potential structural damage. This will put the wife and I at ease. Now any little movement has us freaked out.

Old 04-25-2017, 02:11 PM   #4

I know with my 377, the salesman reiterated a couple times to remember to push the pins fully in, otherwise a failure could occur. I know that there's only about 3/4 of an inch of pin to play with, and if I don't manually push them in, maybe only half of that is used. Not sure if this could have happened in your case, but it seems if your pins bind like mine do, its a possibility.

Hope you get it fixed and your level of trust comes back with the home away from home! Glad nobody was injured, as that kind of trust doesn't return easily!

2016 Ram 3500 4X4 Dually, 6.7 Cummins, 3.73
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH, Cummins/Onan Gen
JetTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 02:50 PM   #5

That's what my wife was saying. I checked the pins, but my concern is that there should be NO question of the pins being completely through the holes. The face that they just barely clear is a huge issue. Why would you develop a product, protecting the entire front end of the coach, that just barely clears the hole? That's complete crap.

Old 04-25-2017, 05:26 PM   #6

I'd think the pins are either sheared off or not. If not, my guess is that they bound up similar to mine do and the weight just pushed the pin out of the way. Seems like they'd mark them in some way to let you know they were safely engaged!

Old 04-25-2017, 06:10 PM   #7

Old 04-25-2017, 06:11 PM   #8

Checkout the damage to this bolt. You can see where the gear moved from the bolt teeth marks.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:07 PM   #9

What actually hit the bolt bending it like that? She took a beating, that's for sure!

Old 04-26-2017, 10:09 AM   #10

When the pin broke the front end of the camper dropped all the way to the bottom. As you can see from the teeth marks, the landing gear was actually jammed down about 1.5 inches.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:09 AM   #11

The sacred the crap out of all of us.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:24 PM   #12

The mobile RV repair guys came out today and were shocked. They jacked the front up with 20 ton bottle jacks and placed 2 large blocks to take the weight off the jacks. The entire front end jack system needs to be replaced. Thankfully Jayco has been super awesome. We are waiting to hear back from them on weather they are going to send the replacement parts, or have the repair dudes order them. I guess I'm not going to Jawbone this weekend... [emoji19]

Old 04-27-2017, 09:27 PM   #13

Old 04-28-2017, 04:26 AM   #14

Wow that must have been horrible. I would have been sick to my stomach. Glad to hear Jayco is taking care of it.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 06:28 PM   #15

We need to talk!!

The exact same thing happened to our Seismic 400W and we have since been having a lot of issues. We would love to talk to you! Daniel (850) 240-5449. Please give us a call! We were told this has never happened before. We also have kids and are very worried. The auto level system continuously fails. This has been a nightmare.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath_Hambone View Post
While "trying" to level my seismic 400W today my left front pin sheared causing the other to break, sending the front end crashing to the ground. Luckily the kids were in the car and everyone was safe. I was able to still extend the gear high enough to hitch to the truck. We drove our other car to the dealer to purchase a set of new landing gear pull pins. There is some visible damage to the landing gear inside the generator bay. The bolts are bent and I can see on the outer tube where it seems to have moved about an inch. It's hard to explain. There are scratches on the outer tube that appear to be cause by the 2 outer bolts moving up from the force of impact. I was able to easily replace the landing gear pin assembly and manually level the trailer. But of course the coach still won't auto level "out of stroke" auto level failed. I'm using leveling blocks as well. The LCI electric leveling system on this coach has been a major problem. Now my wife and I are on edge thinking it will happen again. The trailer is new and under warranty. We are also concerned about unseen structural damage although there doesn't appear to be any (other than mentioned). The parts guy at the dealership said he's never seen a pin break like that. I'm going to call jayco in the morning. This was not the way I planed on spending my Sunday...

Slgray84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 02:56 PM   #16

6 point leveling 2.0 Lippert Ground Control.

we have nothing but issues for 2 years with the front landing gears. Both have been replaced due failures, and the push/pull pins have sheared off numerous times. Our 4212 is way to heavy for this system.
Never should have ever used this system, Hydraulic is the only solution now.
Attached Thumbnails
20150726_224712684_iOS.jpg   20150721_203258395_iOS.jpg  
2015 Jayco Sesimic 4212 Extreme Weather Package, Dual Pane Windows, Side and rear Patios, 480 watt Zamp Solar Pkg, 6 - 6 volt AGM batteries, Residential Fridge, custom Dishwasher, 5500 watt Onan and lot of problems.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...albums843.html Check this out.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...s-34672-3.html
Loboclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:17 PM   #17

Any word from Jayco?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loboclone View Post
we have nothing but issues for 2 years with the front landing gears. Both have been replaced due failures, and the push/pull pins have sheared off numerous times. Our 4212 is way to heavy for this system.
Never should have ever used this system, Hydraulic is the only solution now.
Have you contacted Jayco about these issues? What have they said. From most people I have spoken to, Jayco is a very loyal, ethical company. I've been working on an email to let them know what has been happening. Would love to talk to you as well to get some other insight. My number is listed in the thread! Still haven't heard from Heath
Slgray84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 09:39 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slgray84 View Post
Have you contacted Jayco about these issues? What have they said. From most people I have spoken to, Jayco is a very loyal, ethical company. I've been working on an email to let them know what has been happening. Would love to talk to you as well to get some other insight. My number is listed in the thread! Still haven't heard from Heath
Jayco knows us very well, as of right now the 4212 is back in shop for warranty again. 14 th time in 2 years. I suggest you read all my postings with all the issues.
2015 Jayco Sesimic 4212 Extreme Weather Package, Dual Pane Windows, Side and rear Patios, 480 watt Zamp Solar Pkg, 6 - 6 volt AGM batteries, Residential Fridge, custom Dishwasher, 5500 watt Onan and lot of problems.
Old 07-02-2017, 09:15 PM   #19

Disaster! Landing gear pull pin sheared while leveling.

Our '16 4212 has sheared both front pins at different times. No damage either time as the pin caught the next hole on the way down, fortunately. I now slide a grade 8 bolt in the holes just below the outside tubes as a safety catch. Haven't contacted Jayco about this but definitely will after reading your posts.

drdontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:20 AM   #20

Our right front landing gear has again failed, it was replaced under warranty last year. I am now One month out of warranty. Let the Thor-Jayco battle begin