Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-09-2017, 11:25 AM   #41

Grade 8 3/8 is what I use. Don't remember the length right now, but was long enough to attach lock nut.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:11 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by P25ct View Post
Can you guys confirm that the bolt to add as a precaution is a Grade 8- 3/8" at 3 or 4" in length? Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
P25CT,

Correct. This is an easy and affordable piece of mind.

Don
drdontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:13 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdontx View Post
P25CT,

Correct. This is an easy and affordable piece of mind.

Don
...I should have added that I use a 4" but a 3" might work.

Don
drdontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:36 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loboclone View Post
Jayco knows us very well, as of right now the 4212 is back in shop for warranty again. 14 th time in 2 years. I suggest you read all my postings with all the issues.
Update: Jayco has agreed to replace both front landing gears Again! In May before warranty expired we insisted that the Front Legs were failing......they refused warranty. We left on trip and guess what they failed, we came back and had to use floor jacks to disconnect at dealer. After 6 weeks of back and forth Jayco agreed to replace both with the same Lippert crap.
2015 Jayco Sesimic 4212 Extreme Weather Package, Dual Pane Windows, Side and rear Patios, 480 watt Zamp Solar Pkg, 6 - 6 volt AGM batteries, Residential Fridge, custom Dishwasher, 5500 watt Onan and lot of problems.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...albums843.html Check this out.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...s-34672-3.html
Loboclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 09:55 AM   #45

Quote:
Jayco knows us very well, as of right now the 4212 is back in shop for warranty again. 14 th time in 2 years. I suggest you read all my postings with all the issues.
Update: As of last week Jayco has approved replacing both front landing gears again..............of course this took 7 weeks of back and forth with Jayco. Parts arrived minus a motor and the wait continues. The biggest concern is the replacement parts are Ground Control 2.0 and not upgraded as we demanded.
The Jayco rep we talked too finally admitted that they are having issues with the Lippert electric leveling system? My response was " you think?" Our dealer has always said that the Seismic is way to heavy for this system. That being said we know it will fail again and not if but when!
2015 Jayco Sesimic 4212 Extreme Weather Package, Dual Pane Windows, Side and rear Patios, 480 watt Zamp Solar Pkg, 6 - 6 volt AGM batteries, Residential Fridge, custom Dishwasher, 5500 watt Onan and lot of problems.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:16 AM   #46

I think no motor means rebuild kit only.In 2006 we had an HR Next Level we rebuilt those front landing gear about every two years.There is this idea that third axles puts extra stress on those front gears!Best of Luck
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:33 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
I think no motor means rebuild kit only.In 2006 we had an HR Next Level we rebuilt those front landing gear about every two years.There is this idea that third axles puts extra stress on those front gears!Best of Luck
There appears that there is no rebuilt kit from Lippert. They ship
all new replacement legs etc. The last time we replaced I inspected what went back in and everything was new, no wear on anything. As for the triple axle putting extra stress on them, I don't know
I still blame Jayco for even specifying electric systems on this unit, Lippert rep told me they really never endorsed it on a Seismic. It all goes back to sourcing one system for all production of F/W's. Jayco and its sister Co. is the only OEM that uses electric leveling on Toyhaulers, everyone else uses hydraulics. Why? price vs. customer satisfaction.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:26 AM   #48

Agree!
Old 08-17-2017, 07:07 AM   #49

2018 Seismic 4212 brand new pin sheared

Wow! I feel your pain. Tried to put on those snap pads last night and feel like we should have left everything as it was. We consistently had our middle stabilizer jacks froze in place. They would not decend no matter how many times we redid the auto level. Finally hubby decided to do those dang "lego" plates under the left side to level it out more and try again. This time we hear a loud crack and the whole front end slams down! The left side pin sheared off in pieces. We've had this thing for a freaking week!! Not only is this an issue (huge at that) but we have no cargo AC working, central vac won't turn on.. amongst other issues (i.e.: forgotten items from Jayco pertinent to actually abiding in the toy hauler). At this point, being as it's brand new, it's seriously comical that they would put this product out with their name on it. Makes me furious. Going to call Jayco like the other guy did and see if they can get someone to come to us.
Hvail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:21 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hvail26 View Post
Wow! I feel your pain. Tried to put on those snap pads last night and feel like we should have left everything as it was. We consistently had our middle stabilizer jacks froze in place. They would not decend no matter how many times we redid the auto level. Finally hubby decided to do those dang "lego" plates under the left side to level it out more and try again. This time we hear a loud crack and the whole front end slams down! The left side pin sheared off in pieces. We've had this thing for a freaking week!! Not only is this an issue (huge at that) but we have no cargo AC working, central vac won't turn on.. amongst other issues (i.e.: forgotten items from Jayco pertinent to actually abiding in the toy hauler). At this point, being as it's brand new, it's seriously comical that they would put this product out with their name on it. Makes me furious. Going to call Jayco like the other guy did and see if they can get someone to come to us.
Here is a e mail response from Lippert I got a few days ago:
Hello there,

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the leveling system. You asked " What if anything can we do to prevent this issue from occurring other than trade it off?" I would have to say the issue you are having with pins being sheered off is due to the ratcheting of the jacks. Holding the retract button longer than necessary and letting the motors ratchet will cause the pins to fail and let the legs drop. This issue can also be due to low voltage on the system. The system is trying to work harder and could possibly break pins.

Bill Reed

Contact Center Representitive

w: 574.537.8900 | f: 574.534.7161

ref:_00Di0aIhw._5001YyX0ZI:

Wow that was helpful............Here many of us are weeks to years down the road with this leveling system and I get this response from the manufacturer? Most of us by now have figured out that Voltage needs to be above 12 volts to operate it.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:20 PM   #51

Here is another reply from Lippert:
If the error comes back, you will need to see if they are physically out of stroke. If they are not, amp test each leg that is getting an out of stroke error. Amp test good, I would have to say it is in the controller or rear leveling sensor

--------------- Original Message ---------------

Sent: 8/17/2017 11:44 AM

To: customerservice@lci1.com

Subject: Re: Ground Control 2 [ ]

Bill: Thank You for your response. We have not sheared any pins for about a 18 month period of time. I possibly think the replacements are better than the original ones. As for ratcheting of the gears during retract Randy and I have not experienced that in any way. I think by now most users of your system know you have to be above 12 volts on the panel to operate the system, Agree?.

We have the following: 6- AGM deep cycle batteries480 watts of solarMy charge line from truck has dual 180 amp alternators to the charge line

When we operate the system it is always reads on the LCI panel 13 volts or more. I don't believe we are under the low voltage scenario. To get this system to level successful with all 6 point jacks working is and has been a 20% chance of success. We get "out of stroke messages" 80% of the time. Hooking back up and resetting the unit is a pain but done frequently. We are now waiting for parts since June 27, both front landings gears have been replaced once. Now they are being replaced again due to failure, Jayco did step up and even out of warranty are paying the bill.

This is a triple axle Jayco Seismic toyhauler. 45 ft long and rated at 20,000# loaded. Back to the original question, what if anything can we do to prevent the front legs from failing again?

Sandra Campbell

To: "desertranger1951@yahoo.com" <desertranger1951@yahoo.com>

Sent: Tuesday, August 15, 2017 3:46 PM

Subject: Ground Control 2 [ ]

Hello there,

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the leveling system. You asked " What if anything can we do to prevent this issue from occurring other than trade it off?" I would have to say the issue you are having with pins being sheered off is due to the ratcheting of the jacks. Holding the retract button longer than necessary and letting the motors ratchet will cause the pins to fail and let the legs drop. This issue can also be due to low voltage on the system. The system is trying to work harder and could possibly break pins.

Bill Reed

Bill Reed

ref:_00Di0aIhw._5001YyX0ZI:ref

Press Esc or click anywhere to return to Mail.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:24 PM   #52

I was at our local Jayco dealer yesterday and watched a new delivery of triple axle Seismic wave being delivered to new unsuspecting owner's.

Carlos the delivery PDI guy was going over the Ground Control 3.0 system and the left front push/pull pin sheared off during his delivery!
Old 08-18-2017, 02:22 PM   #53

Seriously... love the "it's probably this" answers. Told our RV dealer about the issues we have now piling up. Being most are electrical I don't feel they are in any way "minor." Supposedly they have a guy coming out to replace the wifi extender unit due to putting in the wrong one and we're told he'll also look at the other issues and attempt it or actually take care of them. I'll see how that all pans out!
Old 08-20-2017, 11:48 AM   #54

Out of Stroke

Quote:
Here is another reply from Lippert:
If the error comes back, you will need to see if they are physically out of stroke. If they are not, amp test each leg that is getting an out of stroke error. Amp test good, I would have to say it is in the controller or rear leveling sensor

--------------- Original Message ---------------

Sent: 8/17/2017 11:44 AM

To: customerservice@lci1.com

Subject: Re: Ground Control 2 [ ]

Bill: Thank You for your response. We have not sheared any pins for about a 18 month period of time. I possibly think the replacements are better than the original ones. As for ratcheting of the gears during retract Randy and I have not experienced that in any way. I think by now most users of your system know you have to be above 12 volts on the panel to operate the system, Agree?.

We have the following: 6- AGM deep cycle batteries480 watts of solarMy charge line from truck has dual 180 amp alternators to the charge line

When we operate the system it is always reads on the LCI panel 13 volts or more. I don't believe we are under the low voltage scenario. To get this system to level successful with all 6 point jacks working is and has been a 20% chance of success. We get "out of stroke messages" 80% of the time. Hooking back up and resetting the unit is a pain but done frequently. We are now waiting for parts since June 27, both front landings gears have been replaced once. Now they are being replaced again due to failure, Jayco did step up and even out of warranty are paying the bill.

This is a triple axle Jayco Seismic toyhauler. 45 ft long and rated at 20,000# loaded. Back to the original question, what if anything can we do to prevent the front legs from failing again?

Sandra Campbell

To: "desertranger1951@yahoo.com" <desertranger1951@yahoo.com>

Sent: Tuesday, August 15, 2017 3:46 PM

Subject: Ground Control 2 [ ]

Hello there,

Bill Reed

Bill Reed

ref:_00Di0aIhw._5001YyX0ZI:ref

Press Esc or click anywhere to return to Mail.
We have a 16 Eagle 321 RSTS early on we get same error message.We figured since we mainly dry camp.The spots were to uneven to level.Lippert suggested we drop front jacks about 6" by pulling pins each side.Then we use two 4x4s each side rear.Don't get that out of stroke error anymore.In fact it will pretty much level any where. Hope that helps
Attached Thumbnails
Kaibab.jpg  
Old 08-27-2017, 08:00 PM   #55

Oh, boy...we are new to owning an RV and just bought a 2016 Seismic 4212 that had been sitting for two years at a dealer...going to show my husband this thread and get some of the bolts that have been mentioned for safety reasons...thanks for the warnings!!
clynbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 09:01 PM   #56

Congratulations on the new Seismic and welcome to the forum.

Since you are new to owning a RV, keep reading! There is lots of good information on this site.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 10:11 PM   #57

Welcome and congrats on your new rig. We're owners of a '16 4112 and are overall happy with it. We were previous owners of a '14 3914 (1st gen Jayco Seismic). My front gear failed on my first one and just today, my front right won't fully retract and the bottom slide out leg won't go all the way up before jamming. Just got off a 2 week trip so my guess is it bent slightly somehow. It isn't hard. On the phone with Jayco tomorrow to go in circles to get the pair replaced. Hopefully they just do it and allow me to use a local trailer vendor that replaced my last pair on my '14.

Just know that leveling system is your weakest link on that thing and baby your slide outs. Do lots of reading on proper schwintek slide operations. Keep an eye on your roof as well for sag under the AC units. Have this with mine. Hey need more reinforcement.

Other than those she's a beauty. Love the 4212. Wife said heck no to the side porch.

You will see my posts on leveling system going back three or four years now. Feel free to ask me anything about it. I probably have an answer. Next year we're having a hydraulic system installed and disc brake upgrade done. Both will go a long way for me with this thing. We upgraded the wheels and tires to Goodyear H rated tires on new 17" rims. That's another great investment.

P25ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 06:38 PM   #58

And it begins, Part 2- my front right leg won't go all the way up into the landing gear to stow for travel. Goes until last 6" and binds. I can grease it and get it up there but it's not easy. We were away 2 weeks with it, 8 hour drive down and back and parked it. No issues. Went to move it to wash her and this. Here we go again. These being so weak for the weight anything could have done it. Time to submit the warranty claim again.

P25ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:32 AM   #59

Thanks! The side deck is great, especially if you don't care for ants and creepy things crawling all over you when you put your feet on the ground.. aside from that I'll be wishing I had more inside room during the cold months when it's not usable anymore..catch 22 I guess. Thanks for the great info. I'll have to have my hubby check these areas out often. It's a shame it even needs to be done in such a consistent manner.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:14 PM   #60

Click image for larger version

Name:	Landing Gear.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	34783

If I did this more often, I might remember