Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-10-2017, 08:36 AM   #1

Fuel station problems.

Does anybody else have a camper with a fuel station on it?
It's only my second week and we took the camper out with a few toys , i put some fuel in the fuel station but when we went to use it i had a couple problems, first off from the location of this is exposed to the elements and I guess from sitting the handle was so corroded that I was unable to dispense fuel.... the second problem I have is I realized after trying several times to get the pump to turn on that there is an issue with the switch located next to the pump which is also exposed to the elements directly behind the rear tire where was caked and covered with mud and anything else coming off the road I feel like this is going to be one of my first mods of several once I get going to improve some of the designs , I ended up having to hardwire and using a jumper with a test light to get the pump to turn on , and the handle I ended up having use a pair of pliers to finally squeeze the trigger hard enough that it actually got stuck and won't release now because it's so corroded. Mind you it's a new camper , it's one of those things I really didn't look at after I drove it off the lot so kind of shame on me, it's new I didn't think I had to.
StarstrucK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:51 AM   #2
Site Team

Being new, all that is a warranty issue. The dealer should replace anything that doesn't work correctly. It's all on them for not checking them prior to delivery, or running you through it on the PDI. And it would be a great idea to mod the area, so it doesn't happen again. Sometimes, there's just something that gets overlooked, and noticed at a later time.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:22 PM   #3

I put a plastic bag over my nozzle to keep mud and road debris off . I've never had a problem with the switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
6 Speed Manual
farnik78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:06 PM   #4

All the parts are warrentied , and i upgraded to a new nozzle from amazon for 20 bucks, i did a few mods along the way, ill save them for a different thread.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:57 PM   #5

What nozzel did you get?
Octane2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 12:54 PM   #6

Fuel nozzle

I havent installed it yet because it just came in the mail, as soon as i relocate the switch and clean up the compartment ill post some new pics. But here is a pic of the handle i got , its nice , .... after I install everything I'll let you know if it was a good upgrade. The handle looks really good considering has a nice case around it.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:58 PM   #7

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170723_144556.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	33332
Old 07-23-2017, 06:11 PM   #8

One of the biggest killers to fuel systems (and portable fueling systems fall in the same category) is the corrosive elements of ethanol. Nearly all modern fuels have at least 10% ethanol blended into the gasoline, but there are some notable exceptions.

Ethanol will eventually brake down as part of Phase Separation, and that happens at different stages of fuel storage over time. Add to the separation where water ends up at the bottom of the tank where the pickup resides can mean that water (or higher concentrations of water/fuel) can be in the fuel line, nozzle and pump of a Fuel Station. When it sits there, the water starts the corrosive action and destroys the system from within.

There are a few solutions that will likely start a big discussion here (thus avoiding any recommendation) beyond draining the fuel station after a couple of months and consuming that fuel before it becomes stale.

-- I am lucky to have a source of fuel that is 0% Ethanol in town... and use it for all stored gasoline. Is it expensive? yea, but worth the down time in repairs.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 06:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
One of the biggest killers to fuel systems (and portable fueling systems fall in the same category) is the corrosive elements of ethanol. Nearly all modern fuels have at least 10% ethanol blended into the gasoline, but there are some notable exceptions.

Ethanol will eventually brake down as part of Phase Separation, and that happens at different stages of fuel storage over time. Add to the separation where water ends up at the bottom of the tank where the pickup resides can mean that water (or higher concentrations of water/fuel) can be in the fuel line, nozzle and pump of a Fuel Station. When it sits there, the water starts the corrosive action and destroys the system from within.

There are a few solutions that will likely start a big discussion here (thus avoiding any recommendation) beyond draining the fuel station after a couple of months and consuming that fuel before it becomes stale.

-- I am lucky to have a source of fuel that is 0% Ethanol in town... and use it for all stored gasoline. Is it expensive? yea, but worth the down time in repairs.

100% accurate. I own a commercial landscape installation company. As of 2 years ago we run nothing but 100% gasoline in all our 2 stroke and 4 stroke gasoline equipment, and we have little to no fuel system related downtime because of it. It is expensive, but it's worth it to get rid of the government mandated junk ethanol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 04:55 AM   #10

What is expensive?
Old 06-10-2018, 02:22 PM   #11

Sorry if this has already been a topic
I tryed to test my fuel station today. I put 3 gallons of non. Ethenol gas into tank and tryed to pump it out back into the gas can. The pump runs. But not pumping fuel.
What. Would be the minimum amount of fuel the fuel station needs to start pumping ? The trailer is level. Not. Sure if I should keep adding fuel to tank. Or. ?
parallax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:14 AM   #12

Hey I'm not sure about this topic, i had diffrent reasons my station was not working.
My 1st time i tryed using it I fueled up I put 10 gallons in it . Everything worked fine after I fixed all my issues.. I would just try putting more fuel in your tank , i think it's a 40 gallon if I remeber correctly.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:16 PM   #13

I would hope that it would work down to a lot less than three gallons. That would mean you could never get the last three gallons out. Doesn't seem to great.

I am just mentioning for FYI sake, there are two switches. One inside to turn on the pump power and one outside for control at the pump.

On a side note, I had the problem where the first half liter or so would come out black. Jayco replaced the hose and I put on the after market nozzle. Things seem a LOT better now.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:23 AM   #14

I went through when I picked mine up and put corrosion blocker on any exposed parts and then a garbage bag over the nozzle. I hope this problem works out for you!
upinthemountains2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 05:38 PM   #15

O.K. suxs to be me... I put in around 15 gallons, tryed pumping,, pump runs, but no fuel.. I removed the inlet hose to pump , and attempted to blow thru it back to tank.. its plugged up for some reason. I removed gas cap, and looked down inside with a flashlight, there is a check valve down inside the filler tube.. but it appears to be venting as i can see the screens, must be designed to close gas flow out the filler cap, should the trailer become inverted in an accident. still not able to blow back into tank thru inlet hose.. is there something else that could be blocking the inlet hose from allowing gasoline to flow to the pump?. at this point ,i cant siphon the gas back out and 15 gallons of fuel is to heavy for me to drop the tank by myself.
Old 08-25-2018, 05:14 AM   #16

I know this is probably not what you want to hear but, I would take it to the dealer and let them deal with the problem.
Old 08-25-2018, 08:57 AM   #17

thnxs therac... thats my next move,, dealership is 5 weeks out on scheduling... LOL
Old 08-26-2018, 04:27 PM   #18

Being the kind of person to " never give up, never surrender " ( disney quote?) i got under the trailer again, got a mirror and was able to look at the top part of my fuel tank where the inlet hose runs from pump, thru a small cut away next to frame, and up on top of the tank from right side of tank, clear to left side of tank, laying on top of the tank.. I saw that the hose was twisted and kinked !, which would explain why i could not force air back down the line. I physically could not touch the hose, as my hand /arm could not fit in the gap on top of the tank, but after removing the hose from the inlet side of my pump, and with alot of determination and patience, I figured out which way to twist and push/pull the hose till i was able to work the kinks and figure eight out of hose. wondering why they put cheap collapsible hose on the inlet side of fuel pump, other than to save money i guess. layed out the hose, zip tied it in a few spots, to keep it from kinking anywhere. turned on pump and SUCCESS!.. yippie!.... just wanted to share the joys of owning a new trailer, that apparently was not tested at the factory. still love the trailer though.
Old 08-26-2018, 06:29 PM   #19

Glad you got it squared away and saved a trip to the dealer.
Old 08-26-2018, 06:33 PM   #20

Actually, " never give up, never surrender " is from Galaxy Quest. A very funny movie.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel station