Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-16-2015, 11:20 AM   #1

Hauling non-toys in a toy hauler

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to decide what sort of rig we're going to purchase. Right now I'm haunting our local dealer (I think they all recognize me by now!), looking at different options. Originally a Class C Greyhawk, but now maybe a 5th wheel (and new TV).

I have some requirements - solid door to bedroom so the DH's snoring can be drowned out while he's asleep in the other area and I'm trying to get some sleep. Easy access to kitchen when stopping, in case the slides can't be pulled out. (And of course the bathroom, but that never seems to be a problem in any rig I've looked at.)

On the 5th wheel section, several folks mentioned I should look into Toy Haulers, which I did last night at the local dealer.

Besides using the rig for camping, I also want to start vending at out of town craft bazaars. I rubber stamp on whatever I can get my hands on. Lately it's been glazed tiles from Lowe's. They're all stored in small black totes from The Container Store and weigh appx 23-25#. I have lots of 'em that I haul to the shows with me, so the weight adds up quickly.

I also use 5' by 2' wire grid panels that are attached to feet so they're freestanding. 13" (appx) square totes with the clocks I create from wood, decorative paper and rubber stamped images (told ya I'd stamp whatever I could! ). And folding 6' plastic tables from Costco that are 30" wide. There's other stuff, but those are the main things I'm worried about.

What I need to know is if anyone has used a toy hauler for something other than toys. It was suggested I set up some shelves, but I could see them falling over. I don't know if they can be attached or strapped to the walls. I know there's hooks in the floor, but what about the walls? (It was getting pretty dark last night when we looked and it wasn't hooked to power. Of course I can go back during the day.)

And if things were set on the shelves, I figure they'd fall out and there goes hundreds upon hundreds of dollars worth of inventory as they'd shatter.

My other thought was laying something down on the floor that they can sit inside of, such as shelves laid down. But what a hassle that would be to unload.

If I don't use shelves, how high could I reasonably go in stacking my totes without them shifting around and getting damaged? Hubby suggested we just use a bunch of bungie cords to keep the stacks in place.

Are the back couches removable so I'd have more room for stacking stuff? I know they fold against the wall, but it'd be great if they could be removed.

I know, a lot of questions, but I figure this is the best place to getting some answers. We are quite a ways away from purchasing. I'm trying to do a ton of research beforehand.

Thanks everyone!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 02:15 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to decide what sort of rig we're going to purchase. Right now I'm haunting our local dealer (I think they all recognize me by now!), looking at different options. Originally a Class C Greyhawk, but now maybe a 5th wheel (and new TV).
...snip...
I hate to throw more at you or muddy the waters if you discussed this and I missed it in your post, BUT:
Have you ruled out a TT? They can be pulled with a pickup that has a shell or a full sized van. Sounds like most of the specialty storage etc. could be incorporated into the pickup shell or the back of a full sized van. This would leave the trailer for sleeping, eating, etc. with little need for MODs to it.

Have you been to shows etc. to see how others accomplish this? Since you seem to have time, this might be good 'research.'
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 02:27 PM   #3

What would you estimate the total weight of your craft supplies to be? You've got "lots of" 25# boxes, plus tables and other things. That's another thing to consider, because cargo weight has to be distributed correctly, and within limits.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 03:13 PM   #4

Having been a vendor at hot rod shows for several years I can tell you how several friends do it. They have built rolling cabinets with locking casters. The parts they plan on selling the first day are stored inside the cabinets and the doors on the rear of cabinet latched. These are strapped down using "e-track". Excess inventory is stored in tubs or boxes in the TV or perhaps the trailer. Upon arriving at the show, the cabinets are rolled down the ramp and then used to display the items on top of the cabinets. If security is a problem, at the end of the day the cabinets are rolled back into the trailer and restocked for the next day. Hope this makes sense, sometimes my words don"t paint the picture I hope they do, Dave
Lolead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 03:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
I have some requirements - solid door to bedroom so the DH's snoring can be drowned out while he's asleep in the other area and I'm trying to get some sleep.
Not trying to be funny (o.k, maybe a little) but would a CPAP machine help open up your search a little? Im not sure, but a solid door may be harder to find in a toy hauler? Seems to me like they are built lighter, and I would guess because of the weight of whatever may be placed inside the unit by the end user?

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:25 AM   #6

Ever thought of the motor home with a small utility trailer behind it for your crafts? Snoring has he tried a Zyppah yet? google it that's happy Z spelled backwards..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
What would you estimate the total weight of your craft supplies to be? You've got "lots of" 25# boxes, plus tables and other things. That's another thing to consider, because cargo weight has to be distributed correctly, and within limits.
I'd estimate at least 500#.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
Ever thought of the motor home with a small utility trailer behind it for your crafts? Snoring has he tried a Zyppah yet? google it that's happy Z spelled backwards..
We've ruled out a motor home. Plus, he needs to replace his current truck and that way he can drive it to work and not have to worry about a MH sitting around and not getting driven as often.

Not heard of the Z thingie, so will look that up. He had surgery some years ago that didn't help.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:59 AM   #9

You could use the garage portion of the toy hauler for all your crafts. Almost all of them have either a door or sliding glass door separating the garage from the living area. Most of them can handle around 3000lbs in the garage.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:18 AM   #10

I bought my mini toy hauler (Octane 161) to use with my sound company instead of a box truck. I carry large speakers, electronics and other assorted paraphernalia when I'm not using it to carry motorcycles to the track. Set your displays up so they roll, then you just roll your stuff in and out (if the stuff is too heavy I've seen winches mounted in the garage to pull items up the ramp). E-track on the walls to secure everything in place.
kkesler is offline   Reply With Quote