Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-18-2016, 03:51 PM   #1
Jayco Toyhauler - factory second??

We just purchased a new 273 Octane in May, we've had so many issues - water lines weren't hooked up right, speakers weren't connected battery was not connected properly internally, interior wallboards bowing, trim missing, scratches on appliances (that we now noticed, pretty sure they weren't there), and worst of all, the toilet was installed crooked just enough that the lid won't stay up for the guys... can be quite a mess if you are not paying attention!!! The more I think about it the more I feel we got a factory second (if there is such a thing - who would know, goes on between the manufacturer and dealer). We got such a great deal off the lot, it just makes me wonder. If this is how they usually come new - Jayco really needs to kick their quality control people out the door!
I tried to reach out to Jayco, but they keep directing me to my dealer to fix it, but it's clearly not their fault. I would really want to know this if I was Jayco. Did anyone else have these issues, or am I just the 'lucky one'?

alaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:43 PM   #2
Jayco Toyhauler - factory second??

Sometimes they come from IN that way yes. Is it right? No.

But I have a real problem with your dealer. They are supposed to QC the unit fully before bringing you in for a walk through. Things so major and glaring as this says they did nothing. That says to me, we the dealer don't give a crap about you. Just pay us and go away. My first Jayco was from a dealer just like this. A stock lot unit as well. Their service was awful and no other dealers will invest themselves in fixing large issues with minimal disturbance to you if you didn't buy it there. So in essence then you're really stuck. Been there.

Lean on your dealer. Demand they do their job.

P25ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:11 PM   #3
Sounds like you never did a PDI before you accepted delivery. All those things with the exception of the water lines just jump right out at me from just walking around inside the trailer.
2010 Jayco Hybrid EXP21M
2013 Toureg TDI
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:11 PM   #4
We are looking at buying the 2017 model of the 273. How did things work out? It is a year later. Did you get things resolved? What area are you in?
Octane2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:58 PM   #5
Hi, we had it back in again, sound system this time - the dealer said they weren't even hooked up ,wires just hanging inside the walls , I'm not pleased with any of this experience
alaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:23 PM   #6
Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Don't give up hope and don't let the frustration get to you. Use the RV and make memories and in the mean time make a list from the defects. When the season is over bring it in for the warranty repairs. It is sad things are not done right in the first place but that's because of the demand. I been RV-ing for 50 years and it seems like the 90's things get worse. Eventually you will have a good RV from a good manufacturer.
2014 Ram 1500 CrewCab 4x4 5.7 Hemi 3.92 Rear and Air Lift 1000
2005 Jayco Jay Feather LGT - 29Y GVWR-6500 lbs.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power

ALJO 'Forever Young @ Heart' provide on their travels Music Entertainment to Senior Care Homes
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:57 AM   #7
As I read a lot of these postings it seems to become real clear, real fast that the inspection before you take ownership is CRITICAL. I also realize that inspecting something that you don't know that much about is only going to be somewhat effective.

I think I am going to start working on a check list of things to check. I have already seen some things here that I wouldn't have thought of.

Before I do this, is there one that already exists? I don't want to reinvent the wheel.

Also, just to get an idea, what are the kind of things where you say "I need that fixed before I take ownership" versus "I can bring this back at a later date and have this fixed."

I also see that where you buy is, on the surface anyway, just as important as what you buy.

The problem is, just because it is more doesn't mean you get more. A dealer may seem great but the proof is in the pudding. Either they do or don't take care of you when you have issues. If I paid them $2K extra and when I have issues they tell me they will do what they can or leave me hanging then I just gave away $2K.
Octane2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:31 AM   #8
I think each persons tolerance for certain issues is going to vary, so there is no canned response to what do I accept during a PDI.

However, if it is something you are going to get on the internet and complain about then absolutely do not accept the unit prior to taking delivery. That is the time when it will get fixed as quick as possible.

I think the primary problem (other than some poor QC and subpar dealers) lies in the fact that people don't really realize what they are buying. They have stars in their eyes, they have reservations made and they are ready to get on the road and go camping. When you purchase a RV you should be spending SEVERAL HOURS going over each and every system, before you sign the final paperwork and take it home. If that is not practical because grandma and grandpa have the kids for an hour, or whatever, then do it on a different day.

I come on here and read stories of people buying motorhomes without taking a test drive and then complaining about handling and how it drives. Or people who have scratches on trim, or stereos that don't work. All of those things should have been tested by YOU before you ever took it home.

There are plenty of PDI checklists available on every RV site. I'm sure there is one here somewhere. But essentially, you look at everything and you make sure it works and that it passes the litmus test.

Things will still fail, screws will come loose, a wire will come disconnected and the fridge door may fall off... but seriously, if people would just slow down and inspect the unit a lot of there problems would be solved.

Get someone more experienced to go a long, if you have to.

The dealer is motivated by money. They want you to buy and to take it home, that is the time you have the most leverage, before you give them the money.
2009 F350 CC LB 4WD
2017 Jayco 355MBQS
Rustysocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:44 AM   #9
Site Team
Well said, Rustysocket. When we came to pick our rig up, the dealer had it sitting by the door. Power and water hooked up.. tv on, stereo on. fresh tanks full of water, etc..They spent a good period of time demonstrating that everything worked and where it was. We were seasoned campers at that time but still were in a unfamiliar place.

Several minor items were fixed before we left, six years later there are no major issues.
2011 351RLTS Eagle, Mor/Ryde suspension & pin box
06 F350 Lariat PSD, SRW, LB, CC, EGR delete kit, 16K DrawTite hitch, Timbrens, TST TPMS

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:24 AM   #10
There is a very good PDI checklist on this site - lots of work by several members went into it.

It's a sticky post under the General section of the forum where it's easy to find.

Buddy Ray - Atlanta
Jayco Eagle HT 26.5RLS
Ford F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote