Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-18-2016, 03:51 PM   #1

Jayco Toyhauler - factory second??

We just purchased a new 273 Octane in May, we've had so many issues - water lines weren't hooked up right, speakers weren't connected battery was not connected properly internally, interior wallboards bowing, trim missing, scratches on appliances (that we now noticed, pretty sure they weren't there), and worst of all, the toilet was installed crooked just enough that the lid won't stay up for the guys... can be quite a mess if you are not paying attention!!! The more I think about it the more I feel we got a factory second (if there is such a thing - who would know, goes on between the manufacturer and dealer). We got such a great deal off the lot, it just makes me wonder. If this is how they usually come new - Jayco really needs to kick their quality control people out the door!
I tried to reach out to Jayco, but they keep directing me to my dealer to fix it, but it's clearly not their fault. I would really want to know this if I was Jayco. Did anyone else have these issues, or am I just the 'lucky one'?
alaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:43 PM   #2

Jayco Toyhauler - factory second??

Sometimes they come from IN that way yes. Is it right? No.

But I have a real problem with your dealer. They are supposed to QC the unit fully before bringing you in for a walk through. Things so major and glaring as this says they did nothing. That says to me, we the dealer don't give a crap about you. Just pay us and go away. My first Jayco was from a dealer just like this. A stock lot unit as well. Their service was awful and no other dealers will invest themselves in fixing large issues with minimal disturbance to you if you didn't buy it there. So in essence then you're really stuck. Been there.

Lean on your dealer. Demand they do their job.
P25ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:11 PM   #3

Sounds like you never did a PDI before you accepted delivery. All those things with the exception of the water lines just jump right out at me from just walking around inside the trailer.
Old 08-03-2016, 03:11 PM   #4

We are looking at buying the 2017 model of the 273. How did things work out? It is a year later. Did you get things resolved? What area are you in?
Octane2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:58 PM   #5

Hi, we had it back in again, sound system this time - the dealer said they weren't even hooked up ,wires just hanging inside the walls , I'm not pleased with any of this experience
alaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:23 PM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Don't give up hope and don't let the frustration get to you. Use the RV and make memories and in the mean time make a list from the defects. When the season is over bring it in for the warranty repairs. It is sad things are not done right in the first place but that's because of the demand. I been RV-ing for 50 years and it seems like the 90's things get worse. Eventually you will have a good RV from a good manufacturer.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:57 AM   #7

As I read a lot of these postings it seems to become real clear, real fast that the inspection before you take ownership is CRITICAL. I also realize that inspecting something that you don't know that much about is only going to be somewhat effective.

I think I am going to start working on a check list of things to check. I have already seen some things here that I wouldn't have thought of.

Before I do this, is there one that already exists? I don't want to reinvent the wheel.

Also, just to get an idea, what are the kind of things where you say "I need that fixed before I take ownership" versus "I can bring this back at a later date and have this fixed."

I also see that where you buy is, on the surface anyway, just as important as what you buy.

The problem is, just because it is more doesn't mean you get more. A dealer may seem great but the proof is in the pudding. Either they do or don't take care of you when you have issues. If I paid them $2K extra and when I have issues they tell me they will do what they can or leave me hanging then I just gave away $2K.
Octane2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:31 AM   #8

I think each persons tolerance for certain issues is going to vary, so there is no canned response to what do I accept during a PDI.

However, if it is something you are going to get on the internet and complain about then absolutely do not accept the unit prior to taking delivery. That is the time when it will get fixed as quick as possible.

I think the primary problem (other than some poor QC and subpar dealers) lies in the fact that people don't really realize what they are buying. They have stars in their eyes, they have reservations made and they are ready to get on the road and go camping. When you purchase a RV you should be spending SEVERAL HOURS going over each and every system, before you sign the final paperwork and take it home. If that is not practical because grandma and grandpa have the kids for an hour, or whatever, then do it on a different day.

I come on here and read stories of people buying motorhomes without taking a test drive and then complaining about handling and how it drives. Or people who have scratches on trim, or stereos that don't work. All of those things should have been tested by YOU before you ever took it home.

There are plenty of PDI checklists available on every RV site. I'm sure there is one here somewhere. But essentially, you look at everything and you make sure it works and that it passes the litmus test.

Things will still fail, screws will come loose, a wire will come disconnected and the fridge door may fall off... but seriously, if people would just slow down and inspect the unit a lot of there problems would be solved.

Get someone more experienced to go a long, if you have to.

The dealer is motivated by money. They want you to buy and to take it home, that is the time you have the most leverage, before you give them the money.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:44 AM   #9
Site Team

Well said, Rustysocket. When we came to pick our rig up, the dealer had it sitting by the door. Power and water hooked up.. tv on, stereo on. fresh tanks full of water, etc..They spent a good period of time demonstrating that everything worked and where it was. We were seasoned campers at that time but still were in a unfamiliar place.

Several minor items were fixed before we left, six years later there are no major issues.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:24 AM   #10

There is a very good PDI checklist on this site - lots of work by several members went into it.

Checklist

It's a sticky post under the General section of the forum where it's easy to find.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:48 AM   #11

RustySocket could not be more correct. When we went to pick up our unit, we were there 4-5 hours checking every component and any way it could be powered and/or operated. As norty1 mentioned our dealer had everything hooked up and waiting for us to inspect. There was a technician assigned to us and the owner told us to take all day if necessary, they were at our disposal. Obviously some dealers are there for a sale only and others truly believe in giving you what you pay and making sure the customer is satisfied.
Slotted and Dimpled Brake Rotors
Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate Airbags with WirelessAIR Controller
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:06 AM   #12

You should file a complaint at Home | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

There are others with the same problems and more. Some could be a safety concern.
SparkysToyoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 03:05 PM   #13

You will never hear me argue against a thorough PDI, but there's things you'll find during a PDI and things you won't, regardless of how thorough you are. Some things just don't present themselves until you actually start using/driving your unit. I've been fighting a battle of 1000 cuts with one small thing after another of things that are just plain wrong and wouldn't be caught during PDI.

1) We had two shelves that were not level, but not enough to notice until you started loading them up with stuff. It seems ridiculous to think you'd have to go through every cabinet with a square to make sure they were installed properly, and that's the only way we would have noticed it during PDI.

2) Trim popping off because the staples/nails either weren't driven into anything behind the trim, or were driven so deep they were barely holding onto the trim. It looks good during PDI, but it's not until you take a few trips these things start coming loose. This is an ongoing issue, even after a year.

3) Generator control panel - it started/stopped the generator exactly like you'd expect during PDI, but it wasn't until I went to go use it the first time that I happened to notice the hour meter and lighted switch would be on only when you were pressing the start button. It turned out the switch was mis-wired.

4) A critical glue joint under the galley sink wasn't glued at all. Again, everything looked fine during PDI, but it wasn't until after a few trips that the pipes worked themsevles apart and we found the trap water running under the galley cabinet and across the floor.

5) Generator/fuel station tank gauges stopped working. It turns out there's a hidden in-line fuse holder behind the master control panel which protects the gauge. Apparently, due to the incorrect way they connected the sender wires, it managed to short itself against ground a pop the hidden fuse.

6) Window coverings on two windows were improperly installed (stripped screw holes) and found them sitting on the floor after different trips.

7) PEX wasn't fully inserted on one of the elbows running to the water heater. It wasn't leaking or anything, but was an extremely weak point in the system that could have caused a lot of damage.

8) The step light was wired to the same switch as the bright-as-the-sun awning LED strip. What's the point of the step light if the awning light strip burns out your retinas? I wound up installing remote-controlled dimmer for the overly-bright LED strip, which fixed both problems.

9) The weatherstripping/wiper under the galley slide wasn't even making contact with the slide, by at least a full inch. It's possible, but unlikely this would have even come up during a PDI.

While arguably one or two of the above might be be caught with a crazy-thorough dealer and PDI, where do you draw the line and stop looking for problems? We had given them a list of about 15 things to fix already (e.g., two other shelves crooked, missing trim poorly hung bedroom door)

I did miss a big one during PDI:
10) My most recent adventure was fixing my fuel station. It wouldn't run at all. It turns out it was a mis-wiring of the timer circuit where two wires were swapped. While the dealer should have caught this and I should have caught the dealer not catching this, something like this should never escape from the factory in the first place. It makes me wonder how many other units were wired wrong that day.

Now, any one of the above is probably no more than a couple hour job to fix by someone who is reasonably mechanical and has some basic tools, but it adds up. When you discover them one at a time, and it's 8-10 hours of driving (two round trips, plus multiple tanks of fuel) to take your unit to the dealer, most of the time it makes more sense just to do it yourself. Then you discover a new issue a few weeks later. I really feel for the people who aren't mechanical and/or have good tools.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyGeek View Post
You will never hear me argue against a thorough PDI, but there's things you'll find during a PDI and things you won't, regardless of how thorough you are. Some things just don't present themselves until you actually start using/driving your unit. I've been fighting a battle of 1000 cuts with one small thing after another of things that are just plain wrong and wouldn't be caught during PDI.

1) We had two shelves that were not level, but not enough to notice until you started loading them up with stuff. It seems ridiculous to think you'd have to go through every cabinet with a square to make sure they were installed properly, and that's the only way we would have noticed it during PDI.

2) Trim popping off because the staples/nails either weren't driven into anything behind the trim, or were driven so deep they were barely holding onto the trim. It looks good during PDI, but it's not until you take a few trips these things start coming loose. This is an ongoing issue, even after a year.

3) Generator control panel - it started/stopped the generator exactly like you'd expect during PDI, but it wasn't until I went to go use it the first time that I happened to notice the hour meter and lighted switch would be on only when you were pressing the start button. It turned out the switch was mis-wired.

4) A critical glue joint under the galley sink wasn't glued at all. Again, everything looked fine during PDI, but it wasn't until after a few trips that the pipes worked themsevles apart and we found the trap water running under the galley cabinet and across the floor.

5) Generator/fuel station tank gauges stopped working. It turns out there's a hidden in-line fuse holder behind the master control panel which protects the gauge. Apparently, due to the incorrect way they connected the sender wires, it managed to short itself against ground a pop the hidden fuse.

6) Window coverings on two windows were improperly installed (stripped screw holes) and found them sitting on the floor after different trips.

7) PEX wasn't fully inserted on one of the elbows running to the water heater. It wasn't leaking or anything, but was an extremely weak point in the system that could have caused a lot of damage.

8) The step light was wired to the same switch as the bright-as-the-sun awning LED strip. What's the point of the step light if the awning light strip burns out your retinas? I wound up installing remote-controlled dimmer for the overly-bright LED strip, which fixed both problems.

9) The weatherstripping/wiper under the galley slide wasn't even making contact with the slide, by at least a full inch. It's possible, but unlikely this would have even come up during a PDI.

While arguably one or two of the above might be be caught with a crazy-thorough dealer and PDI, where do you draw the line and stop looking for problems? We had given them a list of about 15 things to fix already (e.g., two other shelves crooked, missing trim poorly hung bedroom door)

I did miss a big one during PDI:
10) My most recent adventure was fixing my fuel station. It wouldn't run at all. It turns out it was a mis-wiring of the timer circuit where two wires were swapped. While the dealer should have caught this and I should have caught the dealer not catching this, something like this should never escape from the factory in the first place. It makes me wonder how many other units were wired wrong that day.

Now, any one of the above is probably no more than a couple hour job to fix by someone who is reasonably mechanical and has some basic tools, but it adds up. When you discover them one at a time, and it's 8-10 hours of driving (two round trips, plus multiple tanks of fuel) to take your unit to the dealer, most of the time it makes more sense just to do it yourself. Then you discover a new issue a few weeks later. I really feel for the people who aren't mechanical and/or have good tools.

Excellent post. With a year in I'm just now noticing some items to have addressed.

Can you provide a link for your remote controlled dimmer for the strip light?
P25ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 07:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by P25ct View Post
Can you provide a link for your remote controlled dimmer for the strip light?
Here you go: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...tml#post331909

The link to the product is still appears to be good. It's still going strong after about 14 months of use and 46 nights, including some day-long rainy driving during our DC->ME trip back in in July.