Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-27-2015, 02:13 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by P25ct View Post
Hey Terry, do you have a 4212 with the 3.0? Don't they have like 6 Batteries in the Gen Compartment? When I saw that change for 2016 with the 3.0 electric system Infigured it was partly for the Reefer Inverter and partly for the GC3.0.
Yes my 4212 has 6 batteries in Front Gen Compartment. I put in Optima Blue tops AGM's. I have the fridarie fridge.
Loboclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 03:02 PM   #62

My sheared off leveling pins are located here:Jayco RV Owners Forum - Loboclone's Album: 4212 Sesimic
Old 08-09-2015, 10:01 PM   #63

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439179050.841314.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	331.6 KB
ID:	19607
It's come to this... Legos.. The 6 point electric "stabilizing" system can handle less than half a degree L/R after we deploy the big yellow Lego building blocks. Ugh. So awful.

I posted some specs on inadequate wire gauge runs to rear jacks for 40 foot runs. It's in the 36reqs thread.
P25ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:47 PM   #64

So now.... My front landing gear has failed. Picking up coach from getting bearings breaks re packed and inspected and new wheels and tires installed. Street side Jack is not extending or retracting. My guess is worm gear and threaded collar is stripped from the weight. Best part, were due to leave for a 10 day trip 6 hours away planned for a year Tuesday. My wife has had it. She told me to get rid of the RV tonight. I'm so disgusted. Jayco is getting an ear full Monday.

While researching replacement Jack on Lippert site, I found an interesting fact. The jack is dynamically rated for 4000lbs, static 8000. That means 4 total lifting jacks are only rated for 16000lbs. This is a 19.5 coach.

Ironic thing is the rig was at a facility getting new tires because the tow max crap Jayco puts on are accidents waiting to happen. What happens, the other weak link breaks.

So awful.
Old 08-16-2015, 12:43 AM   #65

It will be interesting to see what they say when you confront them with numbers that show the woeful under sizing of the "leveling" jacks. Is there someone else to report it to? Who takes care of car recalls and such? Maybe call them Also?
djtho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 06:37 AM   #66

Not sure if you can get to the top of the jack on that side or not, it could just be a sheer pin. If you can get at it to see the top of the jack, pull the cover off and look inside wile someone activates the motor and you should be able to tell if the shaf is turning or not. If not turning it is the sheer pin.
Rotocleaner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 06:40 AM   #67

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439728713.881331.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	218.5 KB
ID:	19702I didn't take a video but those gears are moving. The gearbox is shifting back and forth on the Jack though by a good half inch (may not be related). My gut tells me the worm gear is shot.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:23 AM   #68

And to think, I wanted leveling jacks. I will just stick with the stabilizers. Never had a problem so far!

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 03:15 PM   #69

Only the electric ones. The hydraulic system works fine.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:13 PM   #70

Im thinking you sheered the bottom pin. I had the same problem a few weeks ago.
Rotocleaner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:36 PM   #71

Leveling Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotocleaner1 View Post
Im thinking you sheered the bottom pin. I had the same problem a few weeks ago.

I vaguely remember maybe reading about it. My understanding is the whole leg is replaced?

Parts arrive tomorrow. I'm hoping to be on the way to Ocean City by Wednesday.

Tech thinks the worm gear is all worn out and stripped. We won't know until tomorrow. I've also read the threaded collar the worm gear screws through to gain extension sheared
Old 08-17-2015, 05:40 PM   #72

What is their reasoning for the failure? How do they think one wears out a worm gear in a new unit?
Old 08-17-2015, 05:57 PM   #73

Check your Private Messages DJ. When the failed jack(s) are removed we can find out what happened. Right now awaiting warranty service approval from a second tier decision maker. I ordered parts from LCI directly with overnight shipping. We have 1200$ in reservations which are non refundable and a family that has been looking forward to our trip for a year now. Depending on the cause of failure, we shall see what happens going forward. I investigate aircraft crashes for a living for the Feds. Evidence first, no jumping to conclusions, then we determine ROOT cause and move accordingly.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:09 PM   #74

Agreed.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:01 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by P25ct View Post
Pulling the seismic out of storage soon. Dealer swapped control board early winter and never had s chance to test it since, snow was coming and we put her right away. Anyone have any more info or experience with this? I'm planning on installing both batteries when I pull it out. Anyway just wondering what your experiences have been since. Also wondering when they came out with the 2015 4212 if they changed anything in the design, 4212 is heavier so it would be interesting to see if they did. It's still a ground control 2, not a newer 3 or hydraulic like competitors. Thanks all. Also if anyone else since this thread has had similar experiences please chime in.
I have nothing but problems with my 2015 4212, yes it still is ground Control 2.0. It is very heavy as you point out and what I have experienced is that it is way to heavy for this system. We began with 2 sheared pins on both front legs, we think this is due to being dropped? Here is link to pic's Jayco RV Owners Forum - Loboclone's Albums
Out of stroke messages everytime you try to level. Now the shaft on the left front leg has sheared off and the motor is swinging in the wind. 2 weeks at shop and no Jayco response for warranty repair????
2015 Jayco Sesimic 4212 Extreme Weather Package, Dual Pane Windows, Side and rear Patios, 480 watt Zamp Solar Pkg, 6 - 6 volt AGM batteries, Residential Fridge, custom Dishwasher, 5500 watt Onan and lot of problems.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...albums843.html Check this out.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...s-34672-3.html
Old 08-22-2015, 09:29 PM   #76

It is sounding more and more like we need to keep track of who is having problems. Loboclone, it is likely that it is the dealer and not Jayco that is being unresponsive. You will probably have to lean on Jayco to get anything done. Some who have worked with Jayco more directly have had better results than waiting on a dealer. I have made that mistake myself.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:17 AM   #77

I'm shopping for a new rig and the 6 point auto leveling system was one of our must have items.

I've read the posts on this topic and now I'm wondering if this is something I should stay away from. Is the auto leveling problem experienced by very few, or quite a few?

Is there anyone who feels after having this system, they would have been better off without it?

One reason we wanted to try the 6 point auto system is we have 3 kids. Seems like every time one rolls over in bed, we feel the camper shaking. Do you feel that the 6 point auto system results in a more stable set up?

Now I"m wondering if the auto levelers are more risk/hassle than they are worth.? Are the ol' power landing gear and crank down stabilizers more work, but equally effective?

Thank you.
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:16 AM   #78

Jayco's system is not really advertised correctly. Groundcontrol uses four jacks to level and then puts the middle jacks down until they touch for extra stability. we have four kids, and you can still feel it when they move around. The hydraulic six point system uses all six jacks to level and actually levels the unit. If autolevel is important, ground control is a poor system and should be avoided. As an example, my current campsite is 1.6 degrees off level. I had to put boards under the tires to get it to within 1.3 degrees, and even then it two tries to get it to level. The hydraulic system on our last fiver would level from four degrees off level.
2009 Jay Flight 31BHS (sold)
2005 Jay Flight 27BH (sold) - probably my favorite
Old 10-20-2015, 08:47 AM   #79

I will second the last reply from DJtho, I had a 2014 Seismic Toy Hauler. It was 15k empty and 45 in length. The system had what I believe to be several issues with it which were inherent to that specific unit and the system was somewhat flawed. Since 2014 they have redesigned the motors gearing and control brain logic. I have a 2016 now, same specs and it works to LCIs design spec which is up to, 1.5 degrees off level each side or a total of 3 degrees left to right. That's the thing with the electric system, any sites that exceed or get close to that limitation be prepared to use boards or blocks to do the 'heavy lifting'. The hydraulic level up or Bigfoot systems as DJ said will level all the way to 4 degrees. Just more power obviously with a hydraulic Jack, and 6 of them doing the heavy lifting. Obviously on a 32' eagle you will have much better results from the Ground Control 2 or 3, given its slot smaller or lighter, however get Into Pinnacles, Northpointes, Designers, or Seismics and you will need some devices to get it within the 1.5 degrees. This weekend my Ground Control leveled my new '16 Seicmic successfully on the first try with 1.5 degrees of tilt. The site was 2.5 when I arrived and added camco blocks to get it to 1.5 degrees before pushing auto level.

Interesting note, my front jacks on my '14 sheared both worm gears internally after a year and a half. That was with older motors and gear boxes, they've since increased the ratio so less stress will be placed on the internal worm gear and components when lifting.

All in all, given these facts you need to decide what works for you. It's so rare to get a site which is big enough for our Seismic which is as Unlevel as the one were at now. So 90 percent of the time this will work. And we get lots of rocking with 6 jacks down. Especially in the bedroom overhanging the front jacks. I may invest in a 5er stand next season or the stabilizing arms for the jacks (forgot the name)

And you may be offered a Ground Control 3.0, only difference from 2.0 is it has Hall effect sensors in the motors so the controller physically knows the position of the Jack like a Schwintek slide motor. Similar lifting capacity though.

Finally, make sure you have good strong batteries and more than one for the leveling system. It needs a strong power source. I'm installing an adapter plug and cord to go direct from my TV electrical system (twin alternators on a Cummings diesel) to the leveling system with a 4guage cable and quick disconnects at the truck and coach. This way you will maximize the systems ability to lift, and minimize any loss of performance from battery, however this isn't for everyone and may not be supported by the manufacturer.

That's my whole deal on leveling system option. Just know from unit to unit, YMMV it seems also. A good install with perfect connections, no wire pinching anywhere, and good crimps, etc is critical.

Let us know your decision and how it goes.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:07 PM   #80

I am from the Open Range site and we too have had same issues with the electric lippert auto level, just a nightmare.

This is the 1st remedy I have seen that is reportedly working. Great post. I am going to try the truck to fifth wheel fix this weekend.
Coloradorv is offline   Reply With Quote