Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-20-2015, 08:12 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenroads View Post
No city water, we were dry camping with approx 1/3 tankload of water (another "oops" / learning experience.)

I also noticed that even when no water was running, the water pump would intermittently fire up - I assume to re-pressurize the plumbing system like a jet pump would on an acreage with a leaky toilet.

We turned off the jet pump when not in use because we didn't have enough water with us to waste. I noticed anytime later when I needed water and would flip the switch on to power the pump, that it would then run for about 10 seconds -a pretty long time, it would seem.

To me, it seems like there is a leak somewhere, but I just don't know what those drain tubes are for. The area above it on the side of the trailer is marked as low point drain, hence my thread title, but I really don't know.

As for where this is - it is the side opposite the driver side, directly underneath the passthru storage. I also noticed a slight "hum" from the panel to my left when looking into that passthru storage, when really nothing was in use. The fridge/freezer is further over, on the other side of the entrance door, so I don't think the hum is from that.

Clearly lots to learn with this new rig...
Sounds like a leaky valve. Open and close the valve a few times while under pressure. Hopefully you just have a little debris stuck in it from manufacturing.

I have a valve that started leaking last year, have not looked at it yet. I just been turning off the pump when not needed.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:20 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenroads View Post
Will have to remove some paneling to see that. Will need to be tomorrow. Those drain tubes go up through some black material and "up" -not sure where to.

Will need to dig in tomorrow I guess. Thanks!
The valves should be "easy" to get to. Mine are under the bathroom sink on the floor, there is just a small access panel just big enough to get my hand into.

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 05-20-2015, 08:22 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedrck46 View Post
attached picture of low point drain valves Yours should look similar to these may also be black Found this pic on the net.
That's definitely what I see, except it's about 8" up above the bottom of the trailer undercarriage, inside a hole I can't reach through, covered up in what appeArs to be black duct tape. Will have to empty the pass-through and remove the paneling on the inside wall to hopefully get at it.

So... If I can manage to close that/those valves off, I'm in the clear, and with them partially open (assuming that's the case,) I would expect to find drips/leaks there, and the water pump running to re-pressurize, and after they're closed, I'm fine... It sounds like they're only there for complete drainage of the system and not normal use.

Is that a correct summary? I should be able to get to that tomorrow, or for sure this weekend then. Thanks all for the the clear direction!
goldenroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:27 PM   #24

I typically only use my low point drains only in fall when winterizing, but we are constantly using our htt. If we do not plan to use it for more than 3 weeks we fully drain, so we do not get the icky stinky water smell.

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 05-20-2015, 08:35 PM   #25

I was thinking of adding high-strength chlorine to my tank when I fill (I use 12% sodium hypochlorite for well water treatment) - just enough to bring it up to around 3ppm in the storage tank (around 1/8 cup on 140 gallons if I remember correctly) and use the sump filter with a GAC filter to remove it before it gets pumped up for use.

Prevents odors & bacteria, filter removes it when it's ready to use. Like taking bread out of the bag, sorta thing.....
Old 05-20-2015, 08:38 PM   #26

goldenroads

first try to push the valve down and if it moves you will then know it wasn't fully closed. If that doesn't solve the problem then cycle it open/closed a few times. Those low point drain valve are normally used to help drain the system and also when winterizing. once you de-winterize they can be left in the closed position. With everything closed as it should be you should only hear the pump come on when you open a faucet. If you hear the pump cycling when all valve are shut then you may have a leak and its time to find out where. Although its not unusual for the pump to come on to hold pressure but it should not be cycling when the valves are shut
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:39 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
The valves should be "easy" to get to. Mine are under the bathroom sink on the floor, there is just a small access panel just big enough to get my hand into.

If it's the elbow connector with a plunger/valve on top as pictured previously, I can see them from under the trailer but they're basically under the stairs leading to the bedroom. No access from anywhere but the pass-through (I assume anyway) -if there's another set under the bathroom sink, it isn't right above the leak.

Will check for sure though.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:03 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedrck46 View Post
goldenroads

first try to push the valve down and if it moves you will then know it wasn't fully closed. If that doesn't solve the problem then cycle it open/closed a few times. Those low point drain valve are normally used to help drain the system and also when winterizing. once you de-winterize they can be left in the closed position. With everything closed as it should be you should only hear the pump come on when you open a faucet. If you hear the pump cycling when all valve are shut then you may have a leak and its time to find out where. Although its not unusual for the pump to come on to hold pressure but it should not be cycling when the valves are shut
Do I understand correctly? The line up to the valve in the low point drain is part of the pressurized system? It will be up to line pressure whenever the pump is powered on... Just like the garden hose spigot on my house.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:46 AM   #29

correct
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 06:31 AM   #30

My valve recently did the same thing. Just cycled it through a couple times and pushed it off and the leak stopped. Not all valves are easily accessible. Some you have to look hard to find and if they had to be replaced, I would be in trouble. I have a small access door in my basement wall about 5 inches square. I take it off and I can reach inside and find my valves. Can hardly get to them and have to do this every winter when I winterize. If they had to be replaced, the whole wall in the basement storage would have to come out. Not an impossible task but one it would go to the dealer for at my advanced age. I am through crawling around in confined spaces and up on roofs! Not worth it any more.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 02:04 PM   #31

Well - I just got back from an extended trip overseas and FINALLY got around to working on this. Definitely did the trick - have refilled the water tank and fired up the pressure pump to see if we have leaks... All gone!

The kicker - the dealer rep, while doing the walk through, told us "yes, the small drip from there is expected at the low point drain, that's what its for - condensate from the A/C goes out there, and any sloshing of the tank when it gets filled or when the trailer moves -it all comes out there by design."

WHAT A FREAKING LIAR!

Anyway - the problem is solved now. (And I have STILL yet to hear back from the dealer to arrange a time to bring the trailer in for troubleshooting. Man did I get a DUD dealer!)

Anyway, thanks for all the helpful suggestions. I had to remove a panel in the pass-through storage to get at the 3 valves, but they were exactly as described and cycling them open and closed several times seems to have sealed them. Hopefully permanently!