Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-19-2017, 08:04 AM   #1

Overall thoughts on which way I should go with the toy hauler

I think I'm going to pick up a fifth wheel toy hauler. Actually I just like having the concept of a garage because I'm kind of a prepper and the concept of bringing a large stock of food and water and supplies in the garage area really impresses me!

Not to say I don't have toys. I am thinking, though I am not positive, about bringing my Honda pioneer 1000 with me in addition to a Suzuki GR 650 dual sport. That will all depend ultimately on WHERE we decide to go to see if the areas we pick will even let us drive our side-by-side a round and it's way premature to say so. The bike will always be with us.

I'm really impressed with the seismic and that seems to be the way to go but before I start doing some legwork and checking all of these different options out there what is everyone's overall view of the seismic?

Does anyone think it's too new and I should wait a few years to see if any complaints come rolling in?

Don't know how many used models there are available but from what I have learned so far, IMO, it's always better buying a used unit as all of the initial kinks, complaints, issues and warranty items have already been worked out, do you all agree with that?

It's a chunk of cash there's no doubt about it and Jayco does have some other toy hauler models available other than the seismic and I guess I just want some input as to whether or not the seismic is actually worth the additional amount of money compared to Jaycos other toy hauler's?

I don't know if the other toy hauler's have this option but I'm absolutely in love with the 27 gallon fuel station and the built-in 5500 W Onan generator.... though it would drive me crazy trying to figure out what to do with my two Honda companions not to mention a brand-new champion 7500 W generator...
Cheaperrooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:16 PM   #2

Some little birdies have whispered in my ear that most will be VERY reluctant to give an honest opinion concerning my question above and as such I should not be expecting any honest replies for fear of their ejection

I will say that if complete honesty cannot be stated on ANY forum and if in fact, factual information is not allowed, then nothing more is being achieved then promoting inaccurate and misleading information on a website where people come for that exact same information!!!

That said, of course there still remains a wealth of other information one can obtain here that's for sure, but I definitely cannot agree that it's fair that any opinions should be stymied or removed even when it comes to the specific area of "is this a good unit, is this unit reliable, what do y'all think of this unit?"
Old 05-19-2017, 09:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheaperrooter View Post
Some little birdies have whispered in my ear that most will be VERY reluctant to give an honest opinion concerning my question above and as such I should not be expecting any honest replies for fear of their ejection

If you've got animals talking to you and your entertaining what they say, you need more help than this (or any) forum can offer lol... I think you will find people on here are very honest with their gripes and happiness. I think the fact that you haven't got a response is due to the fact that there are not many seismic owners on here on a regular basis...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 02:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCo View Post
If you've got animals talking to you and your entertaining what they say, you need more help than this (or any) forum can offer lol... I think you will find people on here are very honest with their gripes and happiness. I think the fact that you haven't got a response is due to the fact that there are not many seismic owners on here on a regular basis...

SouthCo you may be correct as I started to do some research, that is looking for specific gripes and I have seen some pretty severe stuff in here attacking Jayco and can only assume that by mere virtue of the fact that I'm reading it, means it wasn't deleted by the powers that be!
Old 05-21-2017, 02:43 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Yep,
Site really not affiliated with Jayco, so no factory reps keeping out negative comments. All the moderators are just volunteers that have been on the forum for several years. Comments in general are only edited or deleted when the spirit of the comments go against the guidelines outlined for forum discussion.
Posting the same inquiry in multiple threads tends get answers to only one of the threads. A lot of people pop in here and click on "New Posts" to catch up on the latest inquiries. Multiple threads by the same person asking the same question shows up when that happens.
Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 04:18 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:

I will say that if complete honesty cannot be stated on ANY forum and if in fact, factual information is not allowed, then nothing more is being achieved then promoting inaccurate and misleading information on a website where people come for that exact same information!!!

That said, of course there still remains a wealth of other information one can obtain here that's for sure, but I definitely cannot agree that it's fair that any opinions should be stymied or removed even when it comes to the specific area of "is this a good unit, is this unit reliable, what do y'all think of this unit?"
So you think noone replied in fear of being banned from the forum? Very few are banned here and most that have been are spammers.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:39 AM   #7

Well I wouldn't go as far as to say I thought it, I will go as far as to say it was mentioned to me
Old 05-21-2017, 07:45 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Well I wouldn't go as far as to say I thought it, I will go as far as to say it was mentioned to me
You shouldn't believe everything you hear

2007 Jayco Feather 19H
2008 Ford Explorer SportTrac
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 12:03 PM   #9

Quote:
I think I'm going to pick up a fifth wheel toy hauler. Actually I just like having the concept of a garage because I'm kind of a prepper and the concept of bringing a large stock of food and water and supplies in the garage area really impresses me!

If it makes you feel better, I was doing a search on "the best Prepping Trailers" And the Jayco 'Baha Editions' were specifically mentioned. Because of Ground Clearance and Tires.

It did seem to be comparing Pop Up style trailers for Bug Out Vehicles though. (my model was on the list, which made my day.)

2016 Jayco Jay Series Hardwall 12BSB
2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade
BC Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 01:20 PM   #10
Site Team

So you admit to listening to birds and they answer? LOL

I read your post but actually have no opinion on any kind of toy hauler.

I would not ever consider owning one and have never done enough research to express my opinion.

Be careful which bird you listen to!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 02:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Boondocker View Post
If it makes you feel better, I was doing a search on "the best Prepping Trailers" And the Jayco 'Baha Editions' were specifically mentioned. Because of Ground Clearance and Tires.

It did seem to be comparing Pop Up style trailers for Bug Out Vehicles though. (my model was on the list, which made my day.)

That's actually awesome advice! Thank you I'm a little shocked I never plugged in that information myself but when it comes to prepping there is so much misinformation out there I tend to shy away from such things, but in this case it turned out to be very accurate!

Was that the fifth wheel or travel trailer?
Old 05-21-2017, 04:33 PM   #12

Quote:
That's actually awesome advice! Thank you I'm a little shocked I never plugged in that information myself but when it comes to prepping there is so much misinformation out there I tend to shy away from such things, but in this case it turned out to be very accurate!

Was that the fifth wheel or travel trailer?
At the time I was researching Bug Out Trailers for storage ideas.... and acidentaly found out the Jayco Jay Sport Variants, with the Baha Package were recommended lol. (We have the Jayco Jay Sport Hardwall with the Baha Package)

It seems the hardwall had good deals with it over the Others for our purposes.

My best advice I can give on your Toy Hauler is...
Think it out, research the hell out of it, and pick what best works for "you".

The truth is, My Trailer is 2000lbs under my max tow capacity, is 1 ft wider than my jeep and has the same ground clearance. It can go anywhere my jeep can while its towing it. It was the only Sport with a 3 burner stove and had the largest fridge space when compared to others. It came with 2 Propane tanks instead of 1, and carried twice as much water as we have ever taken camping. With no canvas to break down in the sun and rain.

But not everything worked well for me. It took me all of 24 hours to rip the Microwave out and next to come out is the toilet. And that should compensate for the weight of the Solar Panels I plan on adding.

But all those things would likely 'not' have come up in the 'advice' others would have given me regarding the 'opinions' they have on how their unit worked for them.

If your really planning on this being a Prep, Pick something that can fit your lifestyle and requirements. Be picky if you can, and consider it an investment in your future. (And of course if you want someone to run ideas by, feel free to message me.)

Old 05-21-2017, 04:54 PM   #13

OK guys, give it a break now, the old saying " a little birdie whispered something in my ear" is as old as Moses..
Old 05-21-2017, 04:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Boondocker View Post
At the time I was researching Bug Out Trailers for storage ideas.... and acidentaly found out the Jayco Jay Sport Variants, with the Baha Package were recommended lol. (We have the Jayco Jay Sport Hardwall with the Baha Package)

It seems the hardwall had good deals with it over the Others for our purposes.

My best advice I can give on your Toy Hauler is...
Think it out, research the hell out of it, and pick what best works for "you".

The truth is, My Trailer is 2000lbs under my max tow capacity, is 1 ft wider than my jeep and has the same ground clearance. It can go anywhere my jeep can while its towing it. It was the only Sport with a 3 burner stove and had the largest fridge space when compared to others. It came with 2 Propane tanks instead of 1, and carried twice as much water as we have ever taken camping. With no canvas to break down in the sun and rain.

But not everything worked well for me. It took me all of 24 hours to rip the Microwave out and next to come out is the toilet. And that should compensate for the weight of the Solar Panels I plan on adding.

But all those things would likely 'not' have come up in the 'advice' others would have given me regarding the 'opinions' they have on how their unit worked for them.

If your really planning on this being a Prep, Pick something that can fit your lifestyle and requirements. Be picky if you can, and consider it an investment in your future. (And of course if you want someone to run ideas by, feel free to message me.)
How come the toilet I would think that would be the one thing you would want to keep
Old 05-21-2017, 05:06 PM   #15

I was writing a longer reply but the toilet so confuse me I had to throw that out there premature! LOL

I'm not actually going to use it as a bug out vehicle so I don't want to mislead you. I've got my bug out place here, where I live now in Western North Carolina in the woods surrounded by three mountains and this is where I will be.

But...whenever I travel I like to have Mucho extra supplies with me in case the end of the world were to take place while I was in California being my bug out location is in North Carolina.

That said, I don't think it's very practical to actually use an RV in such situations because its not very agile or mobile but it IS an awesome thing to have if you can find a remote section somewhere in the woods in the middle of nowhere to put this thing up and make yourself an instant bug out location and the Baja would definitely assist in getting it to that remote location.

I would however recommend getting a truckload of camouflage netting as those splashes of color everywhere wouldn't exactly blend too well

I've actually been looking very very close at Grand Design and they seem to be one heck of a good company!

However if anyone ever read my thread about the Jayco travel trailer I put through a torture test I have a tendency to want to stay loyal to Jayco
Old 05-21-2017, 05:51 PM   #16

Quote:
I was writing a longer reply but the toilet so confuse me I had to throw that out there premature! LOL
The toilet in an A-Frame is in the main living space, separated by curtain only and includes the shower. So.....

1) The old adage "Never poop where you eat" (About as old as the bird one actually)

2) The moisture could be a serious problem, when you factor in the shower.

3) I have an exterior shower anyway and its not plumbed into the toilet like the interior one.

4) The Space usage is stupid. In the other version of the floor plan there is a bench seat on that side with a dining table. So I plan on putting the seat in there with a fold down table.... I'll actually 'gain' floor space and my bed wont have to be put away every day.

5) The addition of the bench seat to that side doubles my interior storage space.

6) Porta Potti can do the same thing, fits in a smaller storage space. (that is assuming I do not have anywhere else I can go to the bathroom)

:-) Like I said, its thought out LOL

Old 05-21-2017, 05:54 PM   #17

Quote:
I would however recommend getting a truckload of camouflage netting as those splashes of color everywhere wouldn't exactly blend too well
Actually.........

I bought that Last year.

Quote:
However if anyone ever read my thread about the Jayco travel trailer I put through a torture test I have a tendency to want to stay loyal to Jayco
Do you have a link I'd love to read it...

Bust bonus I noticed about Toy Haulers, other than space, was the stronger frame to carry a better load. Just some food for thought.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:15 PM   #18

Touch my name and will bring you to my profile. Then touch statistics. Then all threads started by me. It was the very first thread I made entitled

"newbie says what a well-made trailer"
Old 05-21-2017, 06:18 PM   #19

Actually I just noticed they made it one of those permanent forever threads that appear at the top of each heading so just go to travel trailers and it's right there at the top.

I didn't realize I had become a celebrity with that post LOL
Old 05-24-2017, 11:30 AM   #20

we love our Octane. we camp just to ride ATVS and our favorite place to ride is best accessed by boon docking. I do not know if we will ever own a regular TT.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote