Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-14-2017, 05:41 AM   #1

Sink drain sealant oozing out

We've had our Seismic for about 8 months. We are on our first extended trip.
The wife had just finished washing dishes when she noticed what she initially thought was soap around the drain and tried to wipe it up. It appears they used silicone caulk to seal the drains and it never really cured, but why would it take this long to ooze out? After several days it is still sticky. Has anyone else had this problem? It has done this on both sinks in the kitchen and in the bathroom also. Weather should not be a factor, it has been cooler on this trip than rest of summer. So far they are not leaking.
Attached Thumbnails
20170810_083435.jpg   20170810_083603(1).jpg  
theracqueteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 06:02 AM   #2

It's plumbers putty, it never really cures. Take a screw driver or similar and just scrape the excess away.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:51 AM   #3

Mine did this too and started leaking eventually. It's not plumbers putty like it should have been, but silicone. I took both of mine out, cleaned all the silicone off and used plumbers putty to put them back in. No problems since then.
Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berg View Post
Mine did this too and started leaking eventually. It's not plumbers putty like it should have been, but silicone. I took both of mine out, cleaned all the silicone off and used plumbers putty to put them back in. No problems since then.
Wrong, it is plumbers putty and it ozzes because it is squeezed out when the drain is tightened against the drain pipe. What you are experiencing is pretty normal, unsightly but normal. Take a plastic item and scrap off the excess and then use "goop" or WD40 and clean up the rest. You may have to do this again later as the material tends to ozze until the excess is squeased out.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:21 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I've never seen clear or sticky plumbers putty.
Looks like silicone to me.
Clean and replace with white plumbers putty. JMHO

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:58 AM   #6

If it's plumbers putty, which is what my drains had, a little bit of GooGone will clean it right up. We had this issues for the first season, maybe season and a half, but now I don't notice it any more.

Had to replace a garbage disposal in my house sink and had the same issues for a bit.

I didn't have any long term issues, sink drain in both my TT and house are water tight still after the excess putty oozed out.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:49 AM   #7

I fought the drain sealant ooze problem from the strainer baskets for a while. I think at first mine were sealed with some sort of putty. I scraped off the ooze, wiped off the rest, and it looked good... for a while. I then took all apart and replaced the putty with butyl; it sealed well, but oozed worse.

I replaced the ugly pot metal strainer baskets (which had really gotten nasty looking and corroded) with stainless steel; I installed these with clear silicone and have had no leaks and no oozing since. I believe that clear silicone, in a trailer, is the sealant of choice for strainer baskets.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:51 AM   #8

My wife was complaining about the excess putty too on our one year old jay flight. It was getting on the clean dishes. I tightened the drain ring under the sink and then I used a toothpick and some 'goo gone' to get out the excess putty and clean it up..
Old 08-14-2017, 12:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Wrong, it is plumbers putty and it ozzes because it is squeezed out when the drain is tightened against the drain pipe. What you are experiencing is pretty normal, unsightly but normal. Take a plastic item and scrap off the excess and then use "goop" or WD40 and clean up the rest. You may have to do this again later as the material tends to ozze until the excess is squeased out.
"Wrong" right back at ya... I'm quite sure I know the difference between plumbers putty and silicone.
Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:54 AM   #10

Just now able to get back on since we're traveling. Thanks for all the responses. I too believe it is silicone. I have used plenty of silicone for bathrooms and window installs and that is what it feels and looks like. I have used plumbers putty for sinks and it wipes right up. I stopped at Lowe's and bought some plumbers putty but will not bother doing that until we finish our trip unless they start to leak.
theracqueteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:57 AM   #11
Site Team

Not good if someone at the factory is doing this!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 09:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berg View Post
"Wrong" right back at ya... I'm quite sure I know the difference between plumbers putty and silicone.
Guess we just have to agree to disagree on this. Silicone stays soft but will cure into a firm bead. Putty stays in a plyant state allowing it compress to seal a fitting but allows the excess to be pressed out. The fitting or in this case the drain cap will continue to compress for a time after installation and sometimes for a couple years. Silicone will not ooze once it has cured and tends to act as an o-ring in a compression fitting.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote