Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-18-2016, 03:00 PM   #1

Toy Hauler Advice

Hi guys,

I'm looking to upgrade, and have a lot of questions. Right now, the wife and I have a 185RB TT. It's great for the 2 of us. However, we'd like to go on a bit longer trips, and take our motorcycles with us.

Questions:

1. With Toy Haulers, do you find that the "garage" area starts to stink like gas?
2. Does the smell get into the rest of the living area (for the bigger ones that have a separating glass door)
3. 5th wheel tandem towing - as an alternative, anyone done a double-trailer setup to pull a small trailer behind (i know some states don't allow, just curious about peoples opinions, if you point me to another thread to review that's cool too)
4. Bumper pull trailer with ~1000lbs (2 bikes) in the bed. Bad idea?

I originally wanted to upgrade my TV to a suburban, but they're just not going to handle what i want :-(
NicknSarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 05:39 PM   #2

I can only give my opinion to question #4.

It depends on the truck and the trailer. I have a 2500 CrewCab Duramax Diesel and a 264BH. I load an electric golf cart in the bed of the truck and then hook up to the trailer. So probably getting close to 900lbs in the bed. I have no issues. I do have airbags but not really convinced I need them. I only keep about 10lbs in them. I added them just in case before our first trip taking the golf cart.

So, depending on your truck and trailer, you can carry a load in the bed but you'll want to keep an eye on your payload capacity...
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:15 AM   #3

I have not had the gas smell ever in our garage, I have 2 vents but never open them. I shut off the fuel after I load the toy. Toy haulers have a fueling station outside of the unit. As for smell getting in living area that has never happened to us.
As for pulling double I have done it a lot. However it does limit you where you can go in the US. I prefer the toy hauler concept. More of everything less hassle.
2015 Jayco Sesimic 4212 Extreme Weather Package, Dual Pane Windows, Side and rear Patios, 480 watt Zamp Solar Pkg, 6 - 6 volt AGM batteries, Residential Fridge, custom Dishwasher, 5500 watt Onan and lot of problems.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...albums843.html Check this out.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...s-34672-3.html
Loboclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 08:30 PM   #4

Ours is an open floor plan with no division between garage and living space and that was a concern for me when looking. we turn off the fuel on the ATV's before loading and then start and load, this drains down the float bowl a bit and we haven't had any smell related issues at all. Dirt was my other concern, I found a really nice compact pressure washer to take with us to clean off the machines the night before loading, so far so good. I have no experience double towing.

Ross..