Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-06-2017, 04:22 PM   #1

Transfer switch?

Hello everyone, new to this forum but not the wide world of forums in general. I'm reaching out in hopes there is an easy fix or something I'm missing.

Just picked up a 2017 Seismic Wave 355 with factory installed Onan gas 5500. Started the generator and Transfer Switch isn't kicking on sending power to the coach. I found the transfer switch location (under stairs with access through storage compartment). Pulled the cover off to have a look. It has an LED light that is lit when generator is sending power through the switch. LED isn't coming on so fair to assume generator power isn't making its way to the switch?

Really doing my best here to understand how this issue leaves the dealer not working so I want to believe there is something between the generator and transfer switch I'm over looking that you all have experienced.

Generator starts and runs fine and has less than a tenth of an hour run time on it but not sending power to the coach itself. Could the transfer switch never have worked from when it left the factory, yikes!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rivrrts429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 04:26 PM   #2

Check the breaker(s) on the front of the geny, under the cover.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Check the breaker(s) on the front of the geny, under the cover.

They were indeed in the on position so I reset them just to be sure and still nothing.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:30 PM   #4

Dealer can't get me in until 7/21 (ugh!) so I won't have an update for another 6-7 weeks.

I'll be sure to come back and update with a resolution. It's got me really bothered that this thing left the factory this way. Seems like this would be the "blocking & tackling" of what quality controls job would be.

More to come later...
Old 06-07-2017, 03:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivrrts429 View Post
It's got me really bothered that this thing left the factory this way.
More to come later...
It should really bother you more that it left the dealer that way the factory does not run the geny. Obviously your dealer did not do the checks he was supposed to during your PDI.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 03:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
It should really bother you more that it left the dealer that way the factory does not run the geny. Obviously your dealer did not do the checks he was supposed to during your PDI.

That's the other part of the equation too. Thinking back on my PDI they had it plugged in to shore power with gen running if my memory is accurate. They only ran the gen for a few minutes but I may have falsely thought it was powering the house rather than it actually being shore power.

The dealership advertises themselves as the largest Jayco dealer and the PDI department is state of the art all under roof in designated bays. No rush at all and was very thorough. Every single outlet, nook, cranny was checked. But, I'm pretty sure I remember him unplugging shore power at the very end when we tested battery and 12v systems.

Something isn't right because it's never worked if yesterday was the first time I tried it and nothing would kick over. Gen now has 1.3 hours on it and it never tried to switch on yesterday. All breakers and fuses check fine. It's got to be the transfer switch as the LED power light won't even come on. Likely another Chinese motherboard.

Let's hope this is the worst of my problems with this coach.
Old 06-08-2017, 08:10 AM   #7

I can check voltage and take pictures of mine for comparison if that will help you diagnose the problem. Let me know what you need.
SlingShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 03:59 PM   #8

PDI can be both overwhelming to the customer and routine for the dealer. I just replaced my Progressive Dynamics auto transfer switch. It would Chatter when transferring to generator power. NEw one is the upgraded model from PD with surge protection. It works perfectly.
EdBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 04:03 PM   #9

Motherboard (aka controller board) yes, or possibly the molex connector into the controller board is not connected properly. I'm prettty sure the generator is not the issue.
EdBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 06:18 PM   #10

Hey everybody, just wanted to make sure I came back to this thread to update what the dealership found. I hate when I'm reading about a problem and then we never hear back about what the cause was lol

They replaced a "motherboard" and transfer switch. I'm not sure if they threw parts at it but both line items were approved to replace as warranty from Jayco.

I'm still not sure of all the details or what motherboard they're listing. It was separate line items and part numbers for each. This was just what the service writer relayed to me by phone. I'm picking up the trailer tomorrow morning and I'm sure I'll know more after talking with the tech.

I appreciate the help and advice you all gave along the way.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:26 PM   #11

Thanks for the update.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:06 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivrrts429 View Post
Hey everybody, just wanted to make sure I came back to this thread to update what the dealership found. I hate when I'm reading about a problem and then we never hear back about what the cause was lol

They replaced a "motherboard" and transfer switch. I'm not sure if they threw parts at it but both line items were approved to replace as warranty from Jayco.

I'm still not sure of all the details or what motherboard they're listing. It was separate line items and part numbers for each. This was just what the service writer relayed to me by phone. I'm picking up the trailer tomorrow morning and I'm sure I'll know more after talking with the tech.

I appreciate the help and advice you all gave along the way.

Curious to know if 'Motherboard" was the generator or something else. Hopefully for your sake it was the Generator board. Ours blew 4 transfer switches in one year due to spikes by the Gennie. Ruined a bunch of trips. I carry a replacement transfer switch now due to being so gun shy. Onan had the unit 3 times before it was diagnosed.
2015 Jayco Sesimic 4212 Extreme Weather Package, Dual Pane Windows, Side and rear Patios, 480 watt Zamp Solar Pkg, 6 - 6 volt AGM batteries, Residential Fridge, custom Dishwasher, 5500 watt Onan and lot of problems.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/m...albums843.html Check this out.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...s-34672-3.html
Loboclone is offline   Reply With Quote