Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-21-2017, 01:11 AM   #1

Travel trailers as toy haulers

I have always wanted a fifth wheel, I've always liked the way they were designed on the inside, but because I love having my commercial topper on the back of my truck, which literally holds my entire life in it, I have always been stuck with the travel trailer.

Plus I just can't help but feel that the fifth wheel is much better designed to be able to handle all of that weight in the back.

So guess my question is, on the travel trailer, is it designed any different having all that weight in the rear? It would just seem to me that it would be very hard to find the right balance, when you've got 2500 pounds of weight in the garage to stop this thing from fishtailing all over the road.

Do they take this into account when they designed it as a toy hauler? Do they offset the axles and put them on more to the rear to counteract this problem? I did a search and read some other threads and one person said he filled up his water tanks to counter act the weight and balance it.

But that also is what led me to believe that they are not designing these things any different as if they did there would be no need to put water in the tanks. It may help balance it all, but you're still adding weight that doesn't help when pulling down the road that's for sure.

I'm new to the concept of hauling my toys around and if a travel trailer can do it sufficiently well then there may be no need to get the fifth wheel
Cheaperrooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:10 AM   #2

This Kawasaki weighs 1900lbs and my octane T31b pulls fine. I haven't had any issues with sway pulling with my Ram 2500 and an equalizer hitch. It does seem like the wheels are back a little farther than they would be on a normal travel trailer but I don't know for a fact.

It's a tight fit and it would be nice to have the bigger garage of a fifth wheel but this gets the job done for me without having to get a $100,000 20,000lb monstrosity. Plus like you I am able to keep a topper on my pickup.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0259.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	31634

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
6 Speed Manual
farnik78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by farnik78 View Post
This Kawasaki weighs 1900lbs and my octane T31b pulls fine. I haven't had any issues with sway pulling with my Ram 2500 and an equalizer hitch. It does seem like the wheels are back a little farther than they would be on a normal travel trailer but I don't know for a fact.

It's a tight fit and it would be nice to have the bigger garage of a fifth wheel but this gets the job done for me without having to get a $100,000 20,000lb monstrosity. Plus like you I am able to keep a topper on my pickup.

Attachment 31634

I can't help but feel that that is the absolute perfect answer to such a question! Thank you

I've got a Honda pioneer 1000 which is about as big as they come and it has a curb weight of 1500 pounds. I am shocked your Kawasaki comes in at 1900 that must be a beast!

I also have a Suzuki GR 650 dual sport would you have room to squeeze that in?
Cheaperrooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:02 AM   #4

It's a beast. It's almost 11 foot long. The engine is in the rear so that's why I back in to get the weight forward on the trailer. I had a hard time finding a travel trailer toy hauler that had enough size and weight capacity to handle it . The T31b was the only one I could find that would work.

6 Speed Manual
Old 05-21-2017, 08:03 AM   #5

I don't think you could get your Suzuki and your pioneer in at the same time.

6 Speed Manual