Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-20-2013, 01:50 PM   #1

What states require an upgraded license?

I have a 44ft Jayco Seismic 3914 about 15k empty and tow it with a Ford F350 dually.

Can anyone tell me what states are going to require me to get a different operators license ? (I just have my Ohio license)

Thanks,
Ken
Now with Firestone AirBags
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:59 PM   #2

Good question! Here is a link to website that lists the various states towing laws/requirements...

http://towingworld.com/towinglaws.cfm

But, I will add my question too! I am licensed in AZ with class D (regular license for driving a car) and that is all that is required in AZ for towing,
However, we are soon to leave on a trip that will take us through NV, which requires class A or B with an "R" (RV) endorsement. DO I need that if my rig (and myself) are licensed in AZ? I wouldnt think so....but.... looking for wisdom here.

(EDIT: Just went to the NV DMV website and now I can relax.... the Class A or B, plus the endorsment (which is now "J" instead of "R") is weight based and my rig comes no where near the weights required to have those licenses/endorsements). My recommendation is to go visit the DMV websites for the states you will be traveling in/through (or call them) to find out their local laws.

KB
Old 06-20-2013, 02:59 PM   #3

I think there is a reciprocal effect with vehicle licensing among states. Basically, you are required to be legally licensed where you live, then that license is valid in every state.

In this case, if your state accepts your current license then that is good to go everywhere.

My state, California, for instance requires a Non-Commerical Class A (Class A is a Semi License) for RVs at certain weight limits. TT w/ GVWR over 10K = Non Commerical Class A, 5r over 15K GVWR = Non Commerical Class A. Of course this is for "not for hire" driving. Under the 10K/15K GVWR, a standard Class C license suffices
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
I think there is a reciprocal effect with vehicle licensing among states. Basically, you are required to be legally licensed where you live, then that license is valid in every state.

In this case, if your state accepts your current license then that is good to go everywhere.
Exactly!!

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:56 AM   #5

Thanks to all for the replies !!!
Now with Firestone AirBags
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:59 PM   #6

I can tell you the law prevails in the state that you our licensed in and your vehicle is registered in no matter what state you drive thru I 'am a retired state trooper
Shoefly