Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-24-2017, 12:46 PM   #1

2016 Precept 35S Quality Control Issues

We've had our new rig since October - although we've taken some great trips it's spent more time in the shop than we've use. Some of the things we like about our RV are the tankless water heater, king size bed, washer/dryer, leather upholstery, floor plan, power awning with lights, all the beautiful wood wood wood, the pop-up TV, the floors are beautiful with a minimum of carpet, the outside entertainment center - although we've not used it we're looking forward to movie night with the grandkids. Love the double fridge with ice maker, glass shower doors. The V10 chassis is amazing and pulls our fully loaded trailer with ease (although it sees to have a speed limiter on it set to 76 mph) - OMGosh, let's be honest, we just love almost everything about it. But ...

It was new when we bought it and we are very disappointed with the quality control issues - we've been told by 3 different Camping Worlds that we have a two year warranty because Jayco uses them for Quality Control. We've had to make way too many trips to the Service Department to have repaired numerous items repaired. They even put the commode in very obviously crooked which was really odd - who does that? Some of the things? They only installed one side of the stove back splashes (and that was not put on level) and we had to have the other ordered and installed, four of our decals were messed up. When they pulled the decal off of the front driver side they found deeply pocked holes they had to repair before they could replace the decal. It looked like someone took an ice pick to it. There are two cracks under the front window by the drivers side, the pull out cabinet was hung crooked, a few cabinet doors were hung crooked and others are not level, there was a huge leak in front slide (we fixed that one), the microwave convection oven was hung crooked and the face is totally scratched up (like someone took a scouring pad to it). The finish was scratched off 1/3 of the kitchen counter, the mudflaps were gouged out and had to be replaced, the back AC went out and need a new circuit board within a week of purchase, the alignment is two clicks off and we have to take it in to have it adjusted, the glass shower doors slipped down out of the rubber holders (we had to repair ourselves because the Service Center said it couldn't be fixed) ... it just goes on and on and on. These are all things we found after the purchase while traveling through Utah, New Mexico and Arizona.

We just picked it up from the shop and had to take it back in one day later because the Radio Module went out on the way home. We have repaired many things ourselves because that's just want you do LOL, it makes your rig your own. There just seems to be an endless list of warranty repairs needed. As experience RV'ers e expected a few problems with a new machine but you would think Jayco would have a little more pride in putting out a quality product - especially with the money we paid for it.

All that aside, we LOVE our new Rig and when we finally get the bugs worked out it'll be exactly right. While disappointed in Jayco, we are not unhappy we got it. It's our Home Away from Home. We just look forward to all these repairs being found and fixed so we will have the RV we thought we were buying.
JacqueTanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 03:51 PM   #2

I can concur and feel your pain. We really like and have enjoyed our
31UL. In the 20 months we have owned our "Moose" we have taken it back
To the dealer at least 6 times for various issues.

The service dept. rep we typically use said that is the "norm" during
The initial ownership... Ugh. To flesh out the problems.
i understand items will come up during usage. But,
Problems you and others have seen based on initial build
Should have been caught by Jayco and or Delaer during their
"Intensive" (lol) testing and inspection .
Arniesports60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:58 PM   #3

Me also

Count me in after I lost the television signal for the third time this week. I realize that this is not a Jayco part but they have assumed ownership of the problem by including King parts for tv reception. I'll find out in the coming week how much ownership they have.

Out dealer had our coach for 60 days (and fixed a long list) after we had it for 36 days, fortunately it was November and December and we were not camping. I'm still chasing no voltage in the pedestal beside the passenger seat and the drawer in front of the passenger seat.

I think if I had JacqueTanis issues I'd be at the corporate level of Jayco or Thor as there is no excuse for the problems she has listed.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:53 PM   #4

Did I mention our passenger seat controls went out and they when they "fixed" it they wired it backwards. John had to fix it. Camping World in Anthony, TX - when we told them they didn't even apologize. Pretty much just blew it off as an, "oh well, glad you caught it."
Old 02-24-2017, 08:20 PM   #5

This post is totally depressing.......I feel terrible for you and I realize how easily this could happen to any of us. You clearly got a motorhome built on either a Monday by a bunch of hung over drunks or on a Friday by a bunch of people looking to imbibe mass quantities of alcoholic beverages over the weekend. The fact that Jayco would let that rolling disaster off of their factory floor and into your driveway is criminal and a total embarrassment to that company. Probably was built the week they announced the sale to Thor. I feel extremely grateful for my 2 years of practically worry free RV'ing, with 50 nights or so spent camping at the tracks and 20,000 miles of smooth highway sailing. I realize now that my experience could have been much different had I been unlucky with my purchase. I have said many times that I have a Tuesday or Wednesday unit, built before JayThor came into existence.
Camping World: They appear to sell motorhomes only....once you drive off the lot you are on your own.
I hope you reach that promised state in which your motorhome is "fixed" and you can enjoy it without all of the hassle and aggravation. If I had had a similar experience, I would have dumped it rather quickly.
Cycledoc675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:40 PM   #6

I agree Cycledoc675.. We apparently have been blessed with a few issues. I had the leak on my 35up resulting in a warped board on the front slide and a minor issue with the buffet cushions, but overall we have not had the issues many have experienced. My dealer has been less than responsive but overall has taken care of things, the only problem i have is getting the unit in for repairs. We love camping in our RV and hope that it provides us the opportunity to use it for years.
greenfield3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 11:56 PM   #7

Thank you, we have emailed Jayco with our concerns so were at least able to vent. We'll see what they say if and when they contact us. We are retired, fixed income ... we can't afford to dump it. Only had it since Oct. So we'd loose a ton of money, couldn't get another and we would be so unhappy to be without. We were so excited to have worked our way up to a new one. We've had a Winnebago, a Damon and a Bounder and love to travel.

It is what it is ... hopefully we will reach that point of being able to enjoy our rig without the worries. It such a beautiful machine and has the potential to be our best one ever.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:58 PM   #8

I posted my issues under 2016 31UL questions
Keetters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:38 PM   #9

I toured the Jayco factory in September and watched them build Precepts and Senecas. The workers are paid by what they produce out the door. Typical fast assembly line. It did not give me that warm fuzzy feeling. We have been very lucky with our 2015 35UN, with only one major issue which was a Ford problem. Dealers only want to sell, and could care less about service. I will say that Jayco has been great to deal with directly and have gone above and beyond in sending parts, mostly Ford items, that I fixed myself. Roger Johnson and Randy West have provided outstanding customer service.
Jacobsnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:45 PM   #10

Do you have an email for either one of those gentlemen? I have a phone number for, I believe Roger Johnson, but I would like an email address so I can email them directly. We are very unhappy with all the problems we have had but we think we're finally seeing the end, we hope so anyway. We love our Jayco Precept 35S and and do not want to go with another. We just want to enjoy it without all the headaches and frustrations. I just can't seem to find any emails for anyone and any help will the appreciated.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:03 PM   #11

Below is Roger's info:

oger Johnson
Customer Service Manager
Jayco Motorhome Group
Providing you - Generations of Family Fun
Jayco, Inc.

Ph: 1-800-517-9137
Cell: 574-333-1985
Fax: 574-825-6091
Email: roger_johnson@jayco.com
Arniesports60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:16 PM   #12

I really appreciate it, I called and left a message asking for his email address but didn't get a response yet. I'll send them out an email tomorrow